• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

V.A.R. - Good for Purpose??

I think everyone saw it the same way as the ref. No fuss over the Liverpool offside because it didn’t affect the result in the end. Wasn’t used in any other game as far as I know.

Three issues for me right now:

1) Speed. I mean Man City's second goal vs Villa. You don't need 20 replays to make your call on whether Sterling is interfering with play or not, and that is the only question. Surely you either think he is or he isn't. Why all the delay?

2) Communication inside the grounds, trust the fans FFS. Show the pictures, put the audio over the Tannoy (TM).

3) Consistency - the biggest one. Let's have a look yesterday at United's penalty on James and our non-penalty on Doherty. You might decide that they're both penalties. You might decide that neither are, there isn't really enough in it. You can't have it where one is given and one isn't! This is supposed to give us definitive answers with the benefit of having multiple angles and extra time to have a look in slow motion, not give us another level of subjectivity.

Fans do need to grow up a bit with it. It's no good flinging your arms around and having a tantrum, or indulging in genuinely mental conspiracy theories. It's here, it isn't going to go away. So the concerns need to be voiced sensibly, then perhaps the authorities will listen.
The tech is fine, the main issue is the form in which it is used. Especially the last point. That is down to the refs, their criteria and the lack of specific criteria on which a given foul is given. This isn't relevant only to VAR situations, however.

Handball by Dele Ali in the box today. Accidental in my view. Not given as a pen.
Handball by Boly at Leicester - equally accidental - goal chalked off.
It's the inconsistency that gets me - and yes, a time limit seems an obvious (and therefore far too simple) solution
Oh - and shirt pull on Doherty last week: far clearer than Ali's handball - not given

Handball by Dele Ali in the box today. Accidental in my view. Not given as a pen.
Handball by Boly at Leicester - equally accidental - goal chalked off.
It's the inconsistency that gets me - and yes, a time limit seems an obvious (and therefore far too simple) solution
Oh - and shirt pull on Doherty last week: far clearer than Ali's handball - not given

The Boly decision was perfectly consistent with the rules though.

Think Alli was a very lucky boy to avoid conceding a penalty, not sure why VAR took so long looking at it, blatantly came off his arm as he was waving them above his head and not really going for the ball, didn't hit anyone to deflect onto him. Surely that should tie in with the whole 'unnatural position' line and mean it's a penalty?

Thought the Son penalty shout that was looked at was a joke too, bit of contact on his heel from Mina's midriff as the latter slid along and Son tried to turn but then suddenly both feet come flying up a foot off the ground like he's been completely cleaned out. Should've been booked.

VAR should have been used to overturn Son’s red card today, as it was a clearly-wrong decision made in the heat of the moment for totally understandable reasons. That it wasn’t seems a complete waste of the tech.

Handball by Boly at Leicester - equally accidental - goal chalked off

That's not the rules though. Offensive= handball everytime. Defensive= unnatural position.

It's a debate whether Alli's is or isn't, but your point isn't the debate

What a load of utter bollocks

I don't make the laws/rules, just saying what they are

I don't make the laws/rules, just saying what they are

Yep, not aimed at you in the slightest. It’s just that rule and the whole VAR shite is just bollocks.

After today they can fuck VAR off until we stop having refs that refuse to go against an onfield ref.

The FA should but the won't read the riot act to the Refs.
I have to think refs are in collusion with not upsetting each other.
The alternative does not bare thinking about in England as it starts to point to corruption.

Tackle on Son where the ball was not touched
Ali's Hand Ball, his hand was in an unnatural position
And to make it worse the Red card for Son.

Word from the Premier League on the Son sending off. In a statement released a moment ago, they say: “The red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge.”

Gomes falling like that wasn't because of the challenge though. It's a foul, probably a yellow as he didn't really try to play the ball, but not one that would ordinarily cause a serious injury.

Word from the Premier League on the Son sending off. In a statement released a moment ago, they say: “The red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge.”

Utter bollocks. That now means any challenge can be deemed as endangering the safety of the player. It was a freak incident after the Son challenge but everyone reacted to the injury rather than what had happened.

Fair play to VAR this weekend as they upped the level of shite they are throwing out

Well that statement will do Son the world of good, he’s already distraught enough and now the PL are saying yep it was your fault.
It’s a dreadful statement and another one designed to defend the officials.

Until we (the sport) stop giving a shit about referees then things will always be an issue. We protect them, aren’t allowed to criticise them and there’s no accountability.

Why do their conversations have to be secret? Why aren’t we allowed to question them? Why aren’t they allowed to publicly justify their decision? Why aren’t they allowed to apologise for bowlers?

They are looked after more than the players and until that changes we will always have problems

Only just seen the explanation for the Firmino offside call at the weekend "his armpit was marginally offside"

We are stretching this to breaking point if looking to see if an armpit is 0.000001mm offside.

Only just seen the explanation for the Firmino offside call at the weekend "his armpit was marginally offside"

We are stretching this to breaking point if looking to see if an armpit is 0.000001mm offside.

I've got to admit that when I saw someone explain the 'centre of gravity' side to the decision it did make sense.

Sense or not, we are breaking offsides down on the basis that an armpit is marginally offside and that is enough to chuck it and the people running it in to the fucking sea.

I've never seen a ball hit and armpit and not be given as a handball, so it shouldn't be given offside.

Back