• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

V.A.R. - Good for Purpose??

That was a ridiculous decision on the Firmino effort.

"The law states that a player is in an offside position if any of their body parts, except the hands and arms, are in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent (the last opponent is usually, but not necessarily, the goalkeeper)."

So is the 'armpit' part of the body or part of the arm for the purpose of offside?

I was against pitch side monitors before we had VAR because I didn’t want a situation like in the WC where it Just added unnecessary time. But if we are waiting 3 minutes anyway with the ref standing there with his finger in his ear why don’t they just go a view it on the screen at the same time?

Maybe view it on the huge screens at the ground so everybody can see?

I'm sure those that don't have screens will have pitchside monitors until such time they can fit screens at their grounds.

I'm sure those that don't have screens will have pitchside monitors until such time they can fit screens at their grounds.
Bournemouth only have room for a 38" screen though

Do what Slotmouth Keys does and glue a load of them together.

maxresdefault.jpg

I cannot stress this enough, do NOT ever watch that channel. Appalling doesn't cover it.

Well obviously. But they are worried about fan pressure.

So the red card for Son rescinded. Top work by all involved in that decision on Sunday. I look forward to seeing how VAR manages to find new ways to be shit this weekend

VAR get one right ruling out Woods goal for Burnley. Was obvious live and then from the first replay but we still have to sit and watch them draw all the lines.

They are scared of getting it wrong, but when it’s
Bloody obvious stop faffing about. Just make the decision and get on with the game

Was it Sheff Utd that got screwed yesterday? Haven't seen MOTD yet. Find I'm enjoying watching the Champo more than the Prem this season as there's no VAR bollocks. And obviously we'll get a goal chalked off this pm

Yes it was Sheff U, supposedly a millimetre offside, but they drew the line from the Spurs players knee when the angle they did it from showed his shoulder as further back and playing him on.

Yeah it was a stonewall penalty for Sheff Utd, I was keen for VAR to come in but if the video ref can't/won't overturn that decision, then I really don't see its purpose. Also there should be a time limit on it, if you can't decide in 30-60 seconds and 3 or 4 looks, you should go with the original decision.
Its really not that difficult but the authorities have managed to completely fuck it up. Oh, the video refs should be a completely different set up and personnel to the onfield lot

Edit: I meant the Southampton penalty.....all the cock ups are running into one in my feeble brain

Yeah it was a stonewall penalty for Sheff Utd, I was keen for VAR to come in but if the video ref can't/won't overturn that decision, then I really don't see its purpose. Also there should be a time limit on it, if you can't decide in 30-60 seconds and 3 or 4 looks, you should go with the original decision.
Its really not that difficult but the authorities have managed to completely fuck it up. Oh, the video refs should be a completely different set up and personnel to the onfield lot

Edit: I meant the Southampton penalty.....all the cock ups are running into one in my feeble brain

I know the PL will never go for it, but I agree re the personnel. I listen to Gary Neville discussing a VAR decision and think he'd be a far better arbiter than yet another ref

It should be like NFL where the main base of video reviews is constantly manned by the same people every week. Not current refs but rules experts. Maybe ex refs or just people who have shown to be good at doing that sort of stuff from other sports.

They'd be employed by the FA or the Premier League so wouldn't be associated with PGMOL.

For me, if it is going to be used, then the on field referee has to have the final say. Every club in the country must have a ref who they think is biased against them, so imagine the same ref sat in a studio not getting pelters from 30000 and the interpretations he can use to persuade his mate to overturn a decision. If the deuwanker decision last week is acceptable for the authorities then it is open to abuse and needs to change.

I want it binned but I am starting to think that the delays are deliberate and we are effectively seeing advertising breaks being created. The VAR outcome, sponsored by Ex-Lax, will be live after a message from our affiliates.

It would help if the offside graphics didn’t look like they had been done on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

Riley is going to tell the PL clubs that refs will be making decisions from the pitchside monitors after the International break. Obviously won't change the offside shenanigans

Great. More time wasted by incompetent idiots looking at screens. With added posturing now too.

Back