• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Villa 4 - 1 Wolves: Verdict

A weird, disjointed performance from us. A few brilliant performances (Neves, Doherty, Boly) and some absolute shite (Douglas, Batth, Bonatini). We played as individuals while Villa played as a team. The defending from set pieces was crap as well, something we've been good at all season but deserted us tonight. Their second goal should never have been a free kick but you've still got to defend them and N'Daiye just completely lost Chester.

The Leeds win took the pressure off tonight's result a bit but the performance tonight piles it right back on for Reading on Tuesday. 2 bad losses against Villa and Fulham but if we beat Reading and Burton before the international break on Saturday then we're laughing.

Danny Batth can fuck right off btw, so out of his depth in this team, Villa identified him as the weak link from the start. I've seen him fuck up countless times in the penalty area under pressure like he did for Adomah's goal but the build up to Grabban's goal was just embarrassing. League 1 player at best

Watching a different game to me. Our midfield was barely in the game. Villa were better in every way, particularly the second half.

Guess you missed our sheer midfield dominance in the first half wher Villa's only attacking outlets were Danny Batth and his abysmal play.

Some of the passing Neves and quick feet made Hourihane and Jedinak look like they weren't at the same game. N'Daiye was also dominating his battles in the first half.

The second half they were trying but the rest of the team were nothing short of shocking both in front and behind.

A weird, disjointed performance from us. A few brilliant performances (Neves, Doherty, Boly) and some absolute shite (Douglas, Batth, Bonatini). We played as individuals while Villa played as a team. The defending from set pieces was crap as well, something we've been good at all season but deserted us tonight. Their second goal should never have been a free kick but you've still got to defend them and N'Daiye just completely lost Chester.

The Leeds win took the pressure off tonight's result a bit but the performance tonight piles it right back on for Reading on Tuesday. 2 bad losses against Villa and Fulham but if we beat Reading and Burton before the international break on Saturday then we're laughing.

Danny Batth can fuck right off btw, so out of his depth in this team, Villa identified him as the weak link from the start. I've seen him fuck up countless times in the penalty area under pressure like he did for Adomah's goal but the build up to Grabban's goal was just embarrassing. League 1 player at best
To be fair the set piece weakness was a big thing early in the season too, it got resolved then but seems to have started creeping back in. Don't think it's helped by Ruddy losing his nerve a bit lately, still comes for things but doesn't catch or jump just seems to pat at things like a cat with a toy.

A weird, disjointed performance from us. A few brilliant performances (Neves, Doherty, Boly) and some absolute $#@!e (Douglas, Batth, Bonatini). We played as individuals while Villa played as a team. The defending from set pieces was crap as well, something we've been good at all season but deserted us tonight. Their second goal should never have been a free kick but you've still got to defend them and N'Daiye just completely lost Chester.

Danny Batth can $#@! right off btw, so out of his depth in this team, Villa identified him as the weak link from the start. I've seen him $#@! up countless times in the penalty area under pressure like he did for Adomah's goal but the build up to Grabban's goal was just embarrassing. League 1 player at best

Thought Boly made a few errors tonight to be honest and we were shit at defending set pieces earlier on in the season...infact it was our known weakness for weeks.

I do worry that it took so long for Nuno to see this...why not earlier? surely he could see that was where they were targetting?
The decision making when getting to the box is also baffling,we break at speed and regardless who it was, they just ran at the defence
and either passed to no one or turned back...need to be more positive.

Villa fans on the radio saying we were scared of the crowd!..to me we just seemed slightly lazy and complacent.

I don't think Nuno has been great at any point with subs and I would say this is his biggest weakness. I think the front 3 in the second half (till Costa woke them up) were atrocious and I think Nuno has to take the blame for not putting the right men on earlier.

Guess you missed our sheer midfield dominance in the first half wher Villa's only attacking outlets were Danny Batth and his abysmal play.

Some of the passing Neves and quick feet made Hourihane and Jedinak look like they weren't at the same game. N'Daiye was also dominating his battles in the first half.

The second half they were trying but the rest of the team were nothing short of shocking both in front and behind.

Agreed. Coady, Boly, Neves & N'Daiye in the middle kept control of the game really well for large portions of the game (although Grealish did run through us far too easily a few times).

Bonatini at one end and Batth at the other were clear weak links though and Villa exploited them ruthlessly while not showing many of their own.

Whisper it quietly, but I completely agree with Johnny here.

Frustrated that we capitulated so much in the second half but more concerned that over the last couple of weeks we have looked poor against the better, in form sides, still think we'll go up but it shows how many players will need replacing for next season

Said Batth, N'Diaye and Bonatini shouldnt start. Should have been Bennett, Afobe and Neves for those three with Saiss keeping his place.
Jota needs dropping for Costa. I'd seriously consider sticking Coady back in midfield and bringing Miranda or Hause into defence as well

It was not a body check.and if one of our defenders had done that i'd be up for not paying him it waa awful.challenge he had both legs round doc's waist.
Why dont you take another look and see if you know what the fuck your talking about you dick
Watch your attitude unless you want a holiday.

Totally agree with Dire Wolf. Afobe should have started. Bonatini & Jota have no idea how to compete when the going is difficult. Ruddy looks as if his confidence has gone. Snodgrass got away with blue murder - but then he generally does.

We did boss them in midfield after our equaliser definitely and we should have taken advantage but, as you say, in the second half everything went to shit. For me it was the archetypal 'half time came too soon'.

Three things

1) Villa had an extra day to recover and we don't have many alternatives when we play 343. An extra day may have made a difference but we also need to be able to rotate players, I don't think we have many options, especially at wing back - having tired wing backs really stunts our game

2) if we can't change personel we should change the system. Flat back 4 and then rotate the forward players where we do have a few options(4231). Gives our wing backs less to do and also changes how team's will need to defend against us

3) I'm worried about reading, there isn't sufficient time for Douglas & Doherty to recover. Without them overlapping we look toothless going forward

I've said it two or three times now but Jota and Bonatini need to be reminded they play in a team. They kept trying to nutmeg the last defender and it isn't working anymore.

What ever good Doherty did in the first half should be struck off the record with that abysmal defending for the fourth. Doherty you abomination.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Saiss and Neves were more culpable IMO for backing off once he came inside centrally.

Three things

1) Villa had an extra day to recover and we don't have many alternatives when we play 343. An extra day may have made a difference but we also need to be able to rotate players, I don't think we have many options, especially at wing back - having tired wing backs really stunts our game

2) if we can't change personel we should change the system. Flat back 4 and then rotate the forward players where we do have a few options(4231). Gives our wing backs less to do and also changes how team's will need to defend against us

Point one, totally agreed. Point two, fuck no, that would leave Doherty as an orthodox RB where he's absolutely fucking awful. I doubt Douglas would be much better as an orthodox LB either.

We’re back in the fight now and currently playing the worse out the top 4. The arrogance of we’ll be fine we’re the best team in the league has to stop We haven’t been since the new year and other than Wednesday recent performances have been poor.
If we do return to form we’ll be fine but when will that be?

I've said it two or three times now but Jota and Bonatini need to be reminded they play in a team. They kept trying to nutmeg the last defender and it isn't working anymore.
The short, snappy interplay that was so prevalent in Autumn isn't anything like as obvious now, particularly shown up down the left side where Jota and Douglas were once unstoppable. I do wonder if the success has got to some players and they've moved away from the basics, trying to do too much individually now they've realised they're generally much better than their opponents.

Back