• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Villa 4 - 1 Wolves: Verdict

I agree with a lot of Trips' post.

The first goal was crap, but I was really pleased and impressed by our reaction to it. We took control of the game, kept possession well, deservedly equalised and it was anyone's game at half time. When we talk about positive responses, I was delighted with Wednesday and I thought we had that same battling quality when we equalised through til half time.

And then the 2nd half happened and I am at a loss to explain that performance. Sure, Villa were good but the goals - especially that 4th - were not like us at all. I think Boly has escaped a lot of criticism - his positioning was really poor. We didn't get a hold of the ball in midfield which was totally different to the 1st half and we had no ideas going forward.

It wasn't a free kick for Villa's 2nd goal - a poor decision - but I didn't think the challenge on Doherty was a penalty. Absolute stone wall handball from Neves' free kick though. But we didn't lose because of some refereeing errors, our defending was the worst it's been all season, we look flustered and panicking in possession and had no control of the game whatsoever in any areas of the pitch after half time.

Unfortunately, I agree that Batth was awful but it's really sad how quickly people write off his excellent display in midweek. I'd still bring Bennett back in on Tuesday, I agree he's not one of the first choice centre backs but I feel sorry for Danny Batth with the levels of criticism he's receiving tonight. Sure, he had a mare and Grabban and Adomah had a field day against him but the overall reaction to his contribution this season is so one sided and unfair. You'd think we'd re-signed Kaspars Gorkss going by some of the comments I've read.

Changes needed in midweek - Leo was really poor tonight so I think I'd like to see a Jota - Cav - Costa triumvirate up top again.

A worrying 2nd half display - we need to do to Reading what we did to Leeds - bounce back against a side we really should beat.

I didn't think he was great against Leeds. He still cant pass and has the turning circle of the qe2.

I think Boly struggles at times as Douglas is continually out of position, which is actually quite some achievement given how poor he is at getting forward.

he literally walked the ball in for his goal, to be fair.

Good persistant play from Johnstone for the assist to be fair, not content with pushing it onto Jota once but gave him another crack to bundle it over the line.

Felt it was an even game up until the double-whammy second and third goals in the second half. Lots of stuff people have said I agree with - midfield was fine, attacking three not right, Batth... just awful and needed substituting much earlier - but also: I think our 3-4-3 system is increasingly being found out against the teams that look to be on a par to us for skill. Bruce set his team up tonight to concentrate pressure on the outside centre-backs and wing-backs and it worked a charm. I do think we were fine in the centre of midfield, but that wasn't where the game was being won or lost, it was in the channels and wider areas. In defence Villa's organization was excellent too, and I have to say, I was surprised Cavaleiro was the one to make way first. He was the least bad for my money; Bonatini and Jota were both not great, and Jota's attitude is starting to frustrate more than his skill produces results.

Something that has struck me about the "wobble", as this part of the season has been called, is that it's pretty much exactly what some fans of Nuno's former clubs warned about. Teamwork and defensive structure are his strengths, but his teams tend to end up relying on the individual flair of attacking players to actually score goals, rather than more coherent attack plans, and I think you can see that in how some games we've been reduced to passing it in a big arc from one wing-back, along the three centre-backs to the other wing-back, and then back again - switching sides over and over until a gap appears, but nothing really more complicated or ambitious than that unless someone wants to try and be a hero.

And let's remember here, our best players are almost all very young, and playing week in, week out, is a new thing - we should expect players like Jota and Neves to have issues with consistency, they're not the final product yet. (Although if I had to pick a MOTM today from our side, it'd be Neves, who had something of a Sisyphean task for much of the second half.) In the first half of the season, a lot of our power to blow teams away was surely down to a combination of those players being in good fitness and form, a tactical setup that's unusual and novel at this level and tricky for many managers to handle on the first go, and intensive training drills through pre-season and beyond. It's a long season, and for me, it's not surprising that the flipside of being so physically impressive in the first half of the season is that the second half of the season looks a little limp by comparison. (Quite why we've become so bad at defending set pieces again, though, I have no idea.)

Think you're giving Bruce a bit too much credit, from what I saw both teams setup up as they have been in recent games without really doing anything to account for one another, Villa's intensity and tempo handed them the initiative which gave them opportunities to exploit the spaces they found. I think Nuno should've done more to adapt for the problems that Wolves were facing but he just battled on with what he had until bringing Afobe on as an extra forward which was never likely to really make any difference to the problems, disappointing stuff.

You could argue most of the starting 11 weren't at their best including Boly but there were a few who's contribution was completely unacceptable.

Batth will be gutted tonight and if he does play again I hope the fans don't get on his back, he didnt intend to be shit I just think he lost the plot.

Nuno needs to consider rotation now I do genuinely think there were some tired legs after an gut busting performance at Leeds and 2 days to recover.

We still have everything in our own hands, we are so much better than we showed tonight and I fully believe we will sort it out.

Good persistant play from Johnstone for the assist to be fair, not content with pushing it onto Jota once but gave him another crack to bundle it over the line.

Think you're giving Bruce a bit too much credit, from what I saw both teams setup up as they have been in recent games without really doing anything to account for one another, Villa's intensity and tempo handed them the initiative which gave them opportunities to exploit the spaces they found. I think Nuno should've done more to adapt for the problems that Wolves were facing but he just battled on with what he had until bringing Afobe on as an extra forward which was never likely to really make any difference to the problems, disappointing stuff.

Bruce had a clear game plan. Grealish hadn't started for a month and Villa weren't intense enough in the first half when it was 1-1. It was our fault our performance dropped off though, Villa just exploited a rancid 2nd half from our perspective.

a lot of details mentioned that I don't need to repeat. so I'll just settle on...

woof.

Well that second half was shite wasn't it but for me the manager is to blame again. He got it massively wrong with the team selection but because we have got some quality players we dealt with it for most of the first half and then the second half happened. Down to Nuno again to get us back doing what we do.

Batth should not play again this season, he sticks out like a sore thumb. He was pretty comfortable against Lasogga in the week but i'd fancy anyone to be however when it comes to strikers that can move then he has no idea and he's still dreadful on the ball.

Not sure how Leo has lasted 90 minutes in both the Fulham and Villa losses as he's been up there as the worst player on the pitch both games and once again Nuno brings on Afobe for Cav despite that never looking like it's going to work. Easy to say now but i was saying to those around us at the game that Nuno had to take Batth, Leo and maybe Jota off as soon as he could but failing to do so gave us no chance. Villa targeted Danny and when we got it forward both Leo and Jota were too slow, made poor decisions or couldn't stay on their feet.

We are still 3 points clear and 7 of Villa with 2 of the worst teams in the division to play in the next week, will be a massive 7 days because Nuno has to get the players back to where they need to be again and he needs to have a think about our defending of set pieces on top of his team selections and substitutions. Still confident we will win the league but we have to stop making it hard for ourselves.

Defence has looked ropey in the last 5 games 8 goals conceded. Tonight just highlights to some players they aren’t as good as they think, just hope this hasn’t dented the confidence to much.
Form isn’t a tap you can turn on and off, Batth getting a lot stick yes he was poor but take your pick. Douglas, Boly, Bonatini, Jota and Cavaliero all had stinkers in that 2nd half.
The way we were playing just after equalising I fully expected us to go on and control the game.

Before we completely write ourselves off and convince ourselves that we are going to capitulate I would take this opportunity to remind you the last time we got such a stuffing in the championship was 5 2 by Norwich and they were relegated that year and we won the league with 90 points.

The biggest question for me is Baath. Why drop Bennett? He's done nothing wrong, the last time Baath was recalled he was sent off, he did well against Leeds but you could argue Baath was at fault for a number of villa goals.

Mistake by Nuno for me

Bennett was poor against Fulham and got dropped for Leeds.

Granted, Bennett was nothing like as bad against Fulham as Batth was today.

The biggest question for me is Baath. Why drop Bennett? He's done nothing wrong, the last time Baath was recalled he was sent off, he did well against Leeds but you could argue Baath was at fault for a number of villa goals.

Mistake by Nuno for me
I think initially it was because of a perceived strength against a big guy up top. Danny then played well and rightly held his place. He should have been hauled off at half time and for that I do blame Nuno.

Thought it was a fairly even game with Villa the more clinical side. I cant look at Bruce anymore without getting vomit in my mouth. Ooh shit, I sneezed, yellow from the diabolical ref then...3 pts home against reading now is pivotal...

I'd say Miranda and Hause should be higher in the pecking order now, but I'm sure it'll be Bennett that comes back in instead. Not quite sure why Roderick hasn't had a look in since the start of the season really, he looked quality and the rusty-ness in him was no worse than the mistakes Bennett or Batth have in them.

Not been on here today and not read any thoughts, but that's on Nuno. He picks Batth in a position he can't really play, when there was no reason to do so and that's what you get. Should have been subbed at half time and wasn't. That said the second goal which shouldn't have been a free kick is as poor a defensive effort you will ever see, pitiful from N'Diaye. The teams got too big for its boots and needs to go back to doing what it does well. We have two home games this week against weak opposition, I'd be tempted to sack off the formation and just rip their throats out 442 and go for it. MOTM Doherty today

Think it would be madness to change the formation at this stage, its served us very well for the majority of our games and to try and play a different system when we are a bit rattled could well be disastrous. Just need to change personnel, Bennet back in for Batth, Saiss back next to Neves and a front 3 of Jota, Costa, Cav...MGW to come in if one needs a rest

Think it would be madness to change the formation at this stage, its served us very well for the majority of our games and to try and play a different system when we are a bit rattled could well be disastrous. Just need to change personnel, Bennet back in for Batth, Saiss back next to Neves and a front 3 of Jota, Costa, Cav...MGW to come in if one needs a rest
It would just be short term. We need to go for the jugular, 6 points this week and we'll go up. Less than that and it's really up for debate. 442 with Leo and Afobe up top would take these teams apart, we need that confidence

But none of the players are used to that system, we've bought players in and coached to play 3-4-3, we've torn plenty of sides apart that way and imo we should carry on that way

Aside from all that, and i agree - Whenever we have changed the shape this season it's jad very little effect and/or we've got worse!

343 all the way.

I'd bring Norris, Bennett and Costa in for Ruddy, Batth and Leo respectively.

I'd also strongly consider Vinagre, but at a time when we are struggling for creativity perhaps dropping a player with the most assists in the league would be a bad idea.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hindsight is great after Wednesday no one would have complained at Batth starting yesterday. But his performance was similar to that we saw a few seasons back. Some of Nuno tactical changes in this game and others when things aren’t going to plan are sometimes baffling.
We can flat track our way to the PL with our remaining fixtures but momentum in sport is huge. Can see Molineux being very nervy on Tuesday.

Back