• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves, Emiliano Martinez

Pushing Ikeme and sending McCarey a message is a good thing IMO.

It wouldn't surprise me if McCarey's failed drugs test has made them wash their hands of him? At least privately, if they know more than he let on in public.

More of a general "good goalkeepers save team points" comment really than a comment on us.

Fair play to Jackett that was a big call today, barring a series of calamitous fuck ups I can see him keeping the shirt in League games.

Arsenal were never going to loan him out to sit on the bench, so I am not surprised that he has taken over the goalkeepers shirt.

I would hope that KJ put Martinez in for footballing reasons only & not any pressure from loan conditions - this should be the only consideration as to who plays.

He did well, but tough on Ikeme who played more than OK v Blackburn

Got a feel a bit for Ikeme, been one of our most consistant players for the last 3 seasons, seems a bit odd to me, why fix summat that ain't broke?

Got a feel a bit for Ikeme, been one of our most consistant players for the last 3 seasons, seems a bit odd to me, why fix summat that ain't broke?

He's been consistent but he's not fantastic and if Martinez is an upgrade then he has to play whether he is on loan or not. For me Ikeme makes too many errors from range and Martinez hopefully will sort this.

He's been consistent but he's not fantastic and if Martinez is an upgrade then he has to play whether he is on loan or not. For me Ikeme makes too many errors from range and Martinez hopefully will sort this.

Only time will tell whether he's an upgrade, I hope he is

Consistent, but he did punch the ball in his own net last week.

You have to ask is this the end for Carl Ikeme, Wolves could be searching for a new first team keeper next summer.

It may just be me, but I've never really understood the "hype" around Ikeme. A competent keeper, but certainly not a world beater. I can't think of any outstanding qualities he has (i.e. Hennessey was a great shot stopper, Murray commanded his area exceptionally well etc). From the little I saw of Martinez against Hull he looks to be an improvement.

Ikeme commands the area much better than Hennessey. Personally, I rate Ikeme more than Hennessey, which wasn't the case until he became our number 1.

Having said that, I've no issues at all if KJ thinks Martinez is the better keeper - if it makes us a better side, great. It's a good dilemma to have.

Maybe Ikeme had just become a little complacent in training after the McCarey drug incident with no real competition for his place and Martinez is a kick up the arse for him

I liked how Martinez turned defence into attack quickly with rapid accurate throw-outs. We haven't seen that since Hahnemann

Ikeme is drastically improved from what we had pre-2013 - which was a keeper who was fortunate to be continually handed contracts given the other players we had in that area and his own record. He used to get beaten from range constantly, had a propensity for horror show errors (most of his loan clubs hate him for this reason) and got injured all the time.

Since then he has become a solid Championship keeper, a major improvement but he is vastly overrated by Wolves fans. He still goes through iffy spells and lets in questionable goals, there was the spell in November where while you wouldn't put many goals down to him (one each at Ipswich and Derby were poor goalkeeping added to awful defending) he wasn't saving anything either - quite literally, during that period a massive proportion of shots on target against us went in. His command of the box is decent but nothing spectacular, he only really looks quality in that respect compared to Hennessey, we all know that was the one major area of weakness in the latter's game. Once again he picked up an injury at the back end of last season - after the broken foot - and it still affected him in pre-season this year, whether it's down to fitness/sharpness or not I don't know but that goal at Blackburn is not great keeping.

He hasn't done a huge amount wrong but like any area, if we can improve we should, I was very impressed with Martinez in the games I saw him play for Arsenal, Ken is clearly also a fan and he started excellently yesterday. I like James Henry and think he's been an exceptional signing for the money he cost but at the same time I wouldn't go turning down a clear upgrade on the right of midfield if one became available out of some sense of "fairness" or blind loyalty.

Back