• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves, Jonny!

Happy you're no longer the shortest man in the stadium?

He isn't 5 5.

"Jonny Castro
European Under-19 champion 1
Date of Birth (Age): Mar 3, 1994 (24)

Place of Birth: SpainVigo

Nationality: SpainSpain

Height: 1,70 m

Position: Left-Back

Former international: SpainSpain U21

Caps/Goals: 18/0"

170cm = 5' 6" (and a bit)? (although Wiki has him at 175cm so about 5'9")

Barry Douglas is 178cm so he's either 3 or 8 cm shorter.

Andy Thompson, our greatest ever left back as voted for (by some) in the summer poll of last year is 165cm.

Barry Douglas is 178cm so he's either 3 or 8 cm shorter.

Andy Thompson, our greatest ever left back as voted for (by some) in the summer poll of last year is 165cm.

My argument was against him playing at Centre Back which was proposed ahead of Bennett...

My argument was against him playing at Centre Back which was proposed ahead of Bennett...

Ignore me Darlo. I hadn't read the previous page when I posted so thought it was a discussion regarding his height as a full back.

Azpilicueta is only 5"8 plays right sided centre half all the time. Depends what you're asking them to do whether they can play there or not. I suspect he'll play wingback in any case.

As !long as we don't put him in goal his height is fine! Welcome

Azpilicueta is only 5"8 plays right sided centre half all the time. Depends what you're asking them to do whether they can play there or not. I suspect he'll play wingback in any case.

Well that Celts Viga fans report on him (can't remember if it was on mm or Twitter) means Nuno will have to change his game a bit.
he reckoned Johnny got a nosebleed over the halfway line.

Well that Celts Viga fans report on him (can't remember if it was on mm or Twitter) means Nuno will have to change his game a bit.
he reckoned Johnny got a nosebleed over the halfway line.

Read that in a few places - that he is essentially a full back, not a wingback

Read that in a few places - that he is essentially a full back, not a wingback

Yes, I wonder if we will change systems for matches were we fully expect to be under the cosh.
I'd prefer us to just play our game but nearly all managers are cautious and we were told how Nuno operated at Porto a year ago.

You might find us pulling the wingbacks right back into a five for some games. It's what we did at City.

I don't see any way we start playing a back four at any point.

I'd imagine our wing-backs are going to be a lot more defending this season, so it might be useful to have one who can actually do that to a decent standard. I'd be very surprised if we were to change our system, don't think there has been any evidence of this in preseason so far?

Although plenty of teams operate with a fullback as one of the 3 centre halves so it could well be an option.

Although plenty of teams operate with a fullback as one of the 3 centre halves so it could well be an option.

Amusingly Steve Bruce has gone down the time honoured road of "thick club manager tries to copy wholesale what he's watched in the World Cup" and is using Alan Hutton as a centre half.

Amusingly Steve Bruce has gone down the time honoured road of "thick club manager tries to copy wholesale what he's watched in the World Cup" and is using Alan Hutton as a centre half.

That'll be funny, He's a shit Full back, be interesting to see if he turns into a even shitter centre half

You might find us pulling the wingbacks right back into a five for some games. It's what we did at City.

I don't see any way we start playing a back four at any point.

I'm not so sure about that. Not necessarily with the same current players - because Coady isn't any good as a midfielder, for one - but if Nuno sticks with this system, with a converted DM as the central defender of the back three, then it would take very little tweaking to push that player forwards and back into midfield, giving us something between a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 diamond, depending on how you look at it. In games where we're generally on top, but feel we'd have more success playing through the middle than down the flanks, it would offer us some flexibility without a radical change in either personnel or tactics.

I'm not so sure about that. Not necessarily with the same current players - because Coady isn't any good as a midfielder, for one - but if Nuno sticks with this system, with a converted DM as the central defender of the back three, then it would take very little tweaking to push that player forwards and back into midfield, giving us something between a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 diamond, depending on how you look at it. In games where we're generally on top, but feel we'd have more success playing through the middle than down the flanks, it would offer us some flexibility without a radical change in either personnel or tactics.

At no time has Nuno deviated from a Back 3 / 5 and I do not see anything changing.

Midfield will be Neves, and Moutinhio, back 3 may well be Saiss, Coady and Boly

then we'll look to catch teams quickly using our pace, with WB's pushing on when they can, in most caes we'll play with thenm further up the pitch.

Against City, Utd, Spurs, Liverpool, and Chelsea, I expect we'll defend with a flat 5 and counter using our front 3, which will probably be Jota, Cav, and Costa unless we get Silva

Back