• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

We're all off to get blue passports Watford 1 - 2 Wolves verdict.

Here’s a question for you.

If you could swap the results around and have beaten Watford in the cup, therefore having an FA cup final to look forward to, but lost in the league today - would you?

Correct, not once has anyone moaned about Doc since Nuno joined the club.

Well, there have been a few moans but normally when he has had a bad game (Leicester away this season a good example) but his bad games are few and far between and you know what some fans are like, once their mind is made up they won't change it.

If you could swap the results around and have beaten Watford in the cup, therefore having an FA cup final to look forward to, but lost in the league today - would you?

Controversially no.

I think that defeat will live in the memory of the players and they will never want it repeated. So they will be stronger when we reach our next big challenge

No. I think the chance of 7th and Euro footy will help us attract better players. The cup finals will come

European football. Don't care how it came, but that's what would help push us on.

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH - Bloody great question.

I am massively torn. IF we had held on then today might have been less relevant as there would have been a second chance for Europa qualification at Wembley. BUT - no I think getting there by league position is a great achievement so I would rather push for that in all cases. If they shitehouse past City with us in seventh and we miss out then so be it. Over 38 games we will have been the better side.

I know, it's ridiculous isn't it? Still I reckon most wolves fans want it to be Vinagre and Jonny as wing backs even now. What more has doc got to do to get people onside?

Most fans have been on Doc's side for quite a while to be fair. See: ludricous POTS vote in 2016, lots of people praising him as a LB in 2016/17. I've seen far more criticism of him on this forum than I do anywhere else (and I'm one of those guilty of doing it).

Personally I still don't think he is that good a defender (and his crossing is spotty). He excels in a very niche role that he wouldn't get elsewhere but does deserve a lot of credit for how much he has improved. He's infinitely better now than he was before Nuno took over, as Nuno's system has managed to get the best out of him while covering for his shortcomings.

His defending has improved superbly this season. Either he knows he is shit at crossing or the club have spotted it and told him to always look for a pass rather than a cross. He is very good at picking out a player in the area with a pass.

Every day of the week and twice on Tuesdays

Controversially no.

I think that defeat will live in the memory of the players and they will never want it repeated. So they will be stronger when we reach our next big challenge

Exactly this for me too... Character building. Better sides than us have narrowly missed out on things, the best teams don't dwell on it they let it drive them.

I feel like some of you are way too biased and blinded towards ceirtain players to see things realistically. Funny how nobody was crying over the sale of dangerous dave when it became clear we would be massively upgrading his position, I wonder how many would be crying for bennet if we managed to land koulobaly or alderweireld tomorrow? All of you (and me) wanted to be rid of coady and doherty too before nuno, dont make me dig up the thread.
Again, nobody is saying bennet is shit or that he hasnt improved dramatically- but if you look at his defensive parter boly, boly is superior in every single category. Far superior in some cases. We should be aiming for a level at least on par, and even better than boly. Anyways no point arguing, each to their own, lets just enjoy the win

I feel like some of you are way too biased and blinded towards ceirtain players to see things realistically. Funny how nobody was crying over the sale of dangerous dave when it became clear we would be massively upgrading his position, I wonder how many would be crying for bennet if we managed to land koulobaly or alderweireld tomorrow? All of you (and me) wanted to be rid of coady and doherty too before nuno, dont make me dig up the thread.
Again, nobody is saying bennet is shit or that he hasnt improved dramatically- but if you look at his defensive parter boly, boly is superior in every single category. Far superior in some cases. We should be aiming for a level at least on par, and even better than boly. Anyways no point arguing, each to their own, lets just enjoy the win
Bennett beats Boly when I comes to decision making and concentration. His ceiling is far lower than Boly's but he seems very aware of his limitations for the most part, he makes the very best of what he's got to hand. If Boly could iron out some of the lapses of concentration and show a little more restraint at times then youd have yourself a hell of a player.

All of this is true, of course it is. But my point was that digging out Bennett now was rather shite. That's all

With any project it goes in stages. Stand walk run. When Bennett was signed few predicted he would be anywhere near as good for us as he has been. He has been an absolute steal. Ruddy too. Now , if the world has turned and those in the club in the right positions look to upgrade then like Patricio was brought in to upgrade Ruddy even though he had done little wrong last season, the same may happen with our Ryan. But I am really happy with everything Ryan Bennetts presence at this club has achieved.

You continually miss the point. Nobody disagrees Bennett could and should be upgraded. Your assertion he continually lets us down is bollocks and is rightly being called out as such.

I never said he continually let us down, im just saying he has made a lot of key errors at this level. Sometimes its poor decion making, sometimes its his limitations. Nearly cost us two point today. Against arsenal he almost cost us a penalty, luckily lakazette was offside. He was horrific vs palace, he hasnt played much since then because of suspensions and the cup games. Again, this semmems like its turning into an anti-bennett tirade, and im not anti bennett at all, I just think he should be a rotation/bench player and not a starter. Saiss is pretty terrible at center back and we have nobody else, its a bit ridiculous.
And yes boly and coady have made a lot of mistakes too, and so has rui, ive been fair and pointed put mistakes as theu happened- I thought this is what creative criticism was, if its seen as "moaning" and complaining ill stop fucking posting

I never said he continually let us down, im just saying he has made a lot of key errors at this level. Sometimes its poor decion making, sometimes its his limitations. Nearly cost us two point today. Against arsenal he almost cost us a penalty, luckily lakazette was offside. He was horrific vs palace, he hasnt played much since then because of suspensions and the cup games. Again, this semmems like its turning into an anti-bennett tirade, and im not anti bennett at all, I just think he should be a rotation/bench player and not a starter. Saiss is pretty terrible at center back and we have nobody else, its a bit ridiculous.
And yes boly and coady have made a lot of mistakes too, and so has rui, ive been fair and pointed put mistakes as theu happened- I thought this is what creative criticism was, if its seen as "moaning" and complaining ill stop fucking posting

I would suggest most of your concerns will be resolved this summer.

"our weakest link yet again" your quote and it's crap. "horrific vs palace" also shite, he gave a penalty away in the last seconds once isolated versus Zaha because we were chasing the game. Please don't stop posting, please do stop posting exaggerated rubbish

The anti-Bennett nonsense is a load of fucking cock. How about laying off him? We FUCKING WON TODAY. We are in pole position for a European tour. Jesus wept.

His mistake today was a really, really bad one, but how many of those has he had over the course of the season? Two, maybe three? That's a pretty good return at this level, I think. We nearly even got away with it, too.

I don't think anyone is under any illusions that he'd likely be the first CB in the firing line when a new one comes in but that's the game at the top level innit, doesn't mean he hasn't been a very big part of our season (and ditto Saiss, who largely has been superb at RCB, too, when needed). Doesn't mean either are likely to be in our plans long term but equally that isn't a disrespect to them, we owe them a debt and a modicum of respect for the roles they've played in the best season the club has had in decades.

Back