• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Whisk(e)y

I was about to question the price, and then I went and checked about some of the wine that I would be after were I still a proper wine drinker and had the money.

A case of 2002 Chateau Margaux is coming in about £3,930 for 12 bottles.
You could pay over triple that for a whisky of a similar profile (Macallan, Aberlour, Dalwhinnie, etc) and it wouldn't be half as good.

That anCnoc 24 is ridiculous value.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

You could pay over triple that for a whisky of a similar profile (Macallan, Aberlour, Dalwhinnie, etc) and it wouldn't be half as good.

That anCnoc 24 is ridiculous value.

Save some for when I come to visit :icon_lol:

I was about to question the price, and then I went and checked about some of the wine that I would be after were I still a proper wine drinker and had the money.

A case of 2002 Chateau Margaux is coming in about £3,930 for 12 bottles.

French wine is so overrated.

You could get a case of Penfold's The Grange 2010 for just over half that, and it would be far tastier IMO.

Just got to try a 24 year old bourbon from Heaven Hill. 12 years in America, another 12 in Scotland aged in the same virgin oak casks. One of the more interesting whiskys I've ever tried.

It's way, way too oaky for me tbh, seriously over aged. But also amazingly complex. Would love to try this at 12 years.

Question for bourbon fans. I've bought a few bourbon's recently, first one was Woodford Reserve, which I didn't really get on with at first but am beginning to enjoy a little more as I get through the bottle, and the second was Knob Creek small batch which I absolutely love. Any other recommendations based on that?

I've had a single malt from Balcones which absolutely blew me away so was considering buying one of their bourbons, also heard good things about Angel's Envy, Michters and Elijah Craig.

Redbreast Lustau edition. Standard Redbreast but finished in Lustau sherry butts and bottled at 46% instead of 40%. Awesome.

Question for bourbon fans. I've bought a few bourbon's recently, first one was Woodford Reserve, which I didn't really get on with at first but am beginning to enjoy a little more as I get through the bottle, and the second was Knob Creek small batch which I absolutely love. Any other recommendations based on that?

I've had a single malt from Balcones which absolutely blew me away so was considering buying one of their bourbons, also heard good things about Angel's Envy, Michters and Elijah Craig.

I just saw this thread for the first time. I NEVER drink whisk(e)y, but I do sell it for a living.

Woodford Reserve used to not sell much outside of Xmas, but for the past 18 months has been our best selling sipping whiskey.
Knob Creek is slightly less popular, but has a better reputation and some of their limited or stronger releases can be very sought-after.
Elijah Craig does not sell so well, except for the cask strength releases (3 times a year, very strong, limited quantities)
Angel's Envy has a good reputation but is $10 more expensive and has a port finish that not everyone likes. Their Rye release is double the price ($100 in TX)
Michters hardly sells at all, though limited releases are virtually impossible for me to get.
Balcones Bourbon (made in TX) does not sell well. Baby Blue (corn whiskey) is their most popular. Also Rum (universally described as a rum for whiskey drinkers) and now a peated single malt.

Other suggestions - I don't know what is available in the UK - Maker's Mark, Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel (not yellow label). Anything made by Buffalo Trace (you can probably get Blanton's, Weller, Eagle Rare, EH Taylor, etc much more easily than I can). Basil Hayden is gaining in popularity, Bulleit can be mixed or sipped and is popular in cocktails.

Will try to think of others.

Anyone here had Highland Park's The Dolphins before?

Anyone here had Highland Park's The Dolphins before?
Highland Park have came out with so many NAS releases recently that it's hard to keep track.

I do like Highland Park but tend to steer clear these days as it's hard to find value for money. Similar to Macallan, Mortlach etc, you're paying for the name rather than the liquid.

Highland Park have came out with so many NAS releases recently that it's hard to keep track.

I do like Highland Park but tend to steer clear these days as it's hard to find value for money. Similar to Macallan, Mortlach etc, you're paying for the name rather than the liquid.

It was definitely worth the price tag. €200 but not available in the states except through military commissaries.

Not my favorite flavor profile in a whiskey but clearly a good example of its type.

Highland Park 12yo was my fathers favourite scotch. (15yo and 18yo were supposedly even better, but to a Scotsman they were just a waste of money). I used to sell a lot of 12yo until they had a bad batch 6 or 7 years ago, and that killed the brand.

Now they seem to be trying too hard to create a brand that will attract new customers. Too many fancy releases when they should just focus on their core products - making them consistently good, known and respected, and value for money.

Bunnahabhain 18. Best whisky in the world.

How peaty is it? My understanding is that Bunnahabhain is much less smokey than other Islay whiskies but no one has ever confirmed it. I carry the 12yo and also a Macphail's collection 8yo Bunnahabhain that I cannot give away.

How peaty is it? My understanding is that Bunnahabhain is much less smokey than other Islay whiskies but no one has ever confirmed it. I carry the 12yo and also a Macphail's collection 8yo Bunnahabhain that I cannot give away.
Not peaty at all. One of the only unpeated Islay's. No idea why you can't get rid of the 8yo, it'll be beautiful.

Gentleman Jack which is the proper bourbon from the Jack Daniels distillery.

Lovely drop.

Not peaty at all. One of the only unpeated Islay's. No idea why you can't get rid of the 8yo, it'll be beautiful.
Finally sold it all - at less than $40 per bottle - to a guy for his wife.

Gentleman Jack which is the proper bourbon from the Jack Daniels distillery.
An American whiskey drinker would kill you for saying that. Jack Daniels is Tennessee whiskey and therefore not bourbon.

Back