• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Fulham: Verdict Thread

I don’t understand how the owners think . Last season we had a huge problem in every part of the field and now they are like “ok we didn’t relegated so we dont need changes” . They are one of the richest owners and they don’t bring any player. And i dont say to bring a massive player but a better center back , a right back , someone in midfield to organise and give assist, a new striker
Did you actually watch the game? Do you know who Nathan Collins is? Do you know what position he plays? Did you see our first choice right back come on as sub?

Been waiting for that one. Fulham were good against Liverpool. They were shite against us. Liverpool would have battered them 3 or 4 nil today.
Maybe. My son has just got back from the game & said it really was hot - so a different type of game as well.

I’ve said on another thread, that since fosun came in, we haven’t had a sustained being poor or bang average seasons like in the past, we’ve been on an upward curve, promotion, European football, mid upper table, and I think fosun think this football lark isn’t as difficult as everyone said it would be and are coasting it, they’ve got a shock coming and it’ll be all their own fault.

Lage has to take some responsibility for Podence regularly ending up as our de facto #9, surely.
And somehow stayed on for 90 minutes. Poorest of the front line by a mile. MGW was the best attacking outlet we had, also the only one that complemented the midfield when we didnt have the ball.

Though Kilman and Collins were ok but boy Ive seen tugboats do better in transition.

Got to be honest i think this thread is embarrassing from some. People that haven’t watched the game saying we’re fucked and that there can’t be 3 worse teams than us when there blatantly is.

We were definitely the better side but we already know the issues we have, whether it’s 5 or 4 at the back our attackers aren’t clinical in front of goal and the one we hoped would start off with a flyer (Neto) didn’t shoot when he had an open goal.

As for those that can’t see what we’re trying to I don’t think you’re watching enough but the problem is the players are very safety first and just are that second too slow playing a pass or just don’t play it. It is a new style and system so hopefully that does improve.

Although we know the issues with the squad and in particular scoring goals one of the biggest issues of the first 2 games is the full backs who aren’t allowing for much link up play and aren’t really offering a solid option to play out from the back. Semedo looked like he could change this. Also Podence was right off it today and Pedro hasn’t got his end product back yet but i think that will come back.

All in all i think both the first 2 games have been ok, system seems fine to me but some players need to improve when we know they can do better (Jonny, RAN) and we need to trust thatwe can play those passes in between the lines.

As for those that can’t see what we’re trying to I don’t think you’re watching enough but the problem is the players are very safety first and just are that second too slow playing a pass or just don’t play it. It is a new style and system so hopefully that does improve.
You've got a heavy lift ahead of you trying to convince me that we have any kind of tangible tactical plan after what we saw today, mate.

I think the fact, Hwag, Podence, Neto and MGW are all the same floating players. Desperately need a proper player in that hole instead of all those wide forwards.. Get that midfielder in before the window closes and swap out for one of the above then we will be fine.

I don’t understand how the owners think . Last season we had a huge problem in every part of the field and now they are like “ok we didn’t relegated so we dont need changes” . They are one of the richest owners and they don’t bring any player. And i dont say to bring a massive player but a better center back , a right back , someone in midfield to organise and give assist, a new striker
They spent £20.5m on a better centre back or did that just pass you by?

You can't get 1 point and 1 goal out of Leeds and Fulham and say 'that's ok', because it isn't and we need results urgently.

We didn't deserve to win either game as well.
I agree. I dont think we were the overall better side, a couple more chances but one shot on target is crap. The play was slow and boring and I think the fact that the defence were hesitant to move it quicker because we had little options and people looking for it. Dendonker may as well have stayed at home. He offered nothing.

As for those that can’t see what we’re trying to I don’t think you’re watching enough but the problem is the players are very safety first and just are that second too slow playing a pass or just don’t play it. .

If this was true, why do players who have been signed as recently as this off season (Collins) have the exact same slow and ponderous tempo. For me it's 100% a coaching issue, we take 3/4 touches when 2 will do all over the pitch.

You can't get 1 point and 1 goal out of Leeds and Fulham and say 'that's ok', because it isn't and we need results urgently.

We didn't deserve to win either game as well.
It’s not been terrible though, it has been ok when you look at the front 4 we’re having to play and the full backs have been awful in both games. The Hwang chance and the Neto none shot and Podence follow up are massive chances at this level, you don’t get many and have you have to take them. That doesn’t automatically make everything terrible though.

It’s obvious we need to improve and we need points but i think we will personally, i just can’t get behind the complete negativity when I don’t think it’s as bad. Genuinely would have thought we got beat today and looked awful with most of the comments. As i said earlier in the week i think the disappointment with signings/ the squad etc… filter down in to everything especially when we don’t win.

If this was true, why do players who have been signed as recently as this off season (Collins) have the exact same slow and ponderous tempo. For me it's 100% a coaching issue, we take 3/4 touches when 2 will do all over the pitch.
I would say the movement of Gibbs-White/Podence into those pockets and Neto/Hwang spinning in behind which they didn’t do enough of by the way show that it isn’t the case. They wanted the ball but the centre backs and in particular Collins didn’t quite trust himself to play those balls. It’s alright doing it in training but sometimes not wanting to give the ball away takes over in games.

I would say the movement of Gibbs-White/Podence into those pockets and Neto/Hwang spinning in behind which they didn’t do enough of by the way show that it isn’t the case. They wanted the ball but the centre backs and in particular Collins didn’t quite trust himself to play those balls. It’s alright doing it in training but sometimes not wanting to give the ball away takes over in games.

Gibbs White showed for the ball at least 15 times in really nice holes and the ball didn't come. Dendoncker and Collins were the two main culprits for this, our front 4 moved well off the ball but we were completely unable to get the ball into them without Fulham being completely defensively set.

General braindump

Kilman was majestic, Collins not on the same level but still good

A couple of Neves' touches in the first half were sublime, don't need the ego that came with that free kick or him catching the diving disease. The ref generally saw us for what we are. Just fucking stop it

3 very good chances. Hwang has to hit across the keeper not just belt it at him, Neto tried to take a touch rather than tapping into an open goal - Podence then can't even get it on target with the keeper nowhere. Gibbs White's is the hardest of the 3, but should still score

Guedes, tried but no composure

Adama a pointless substitution, whether he's not fit or cba I don't know, but burst out of a walk once after he gave the ball away

MGW is a 10, it's so obvious. Loved his effort today, particularly in tracking back - put him down the middle where his trickery may create something and his lack of pace will be less of a hindrance

Makes no difference to the result, but Mitrovic was 2 yellows, one for the foul the other for the handbags

I'm no Lage fan, but still just about gets a pass today as we were the better team in the first half and in blistering heat didn’t have many options to change it when we looked out of ideas.

If we are going to play a high line against another team with a high line then we have to hit the quick pass down the sides or over the top, did it in the first 10 mins then stopped

If Podence put as much effort into the game as he did wanking Palhinha off at full time then he'd maybe be a player. As it is I can't stand the diving, moaning, whinging, over playing, little prick.

Neto has had 2 poor games in a row. Liverpool looked like it had clicked again, now I'm not sure

Full backs are a worry, RAN moreso - brainless challenge
Pretty much sums it up. And I think that’s more than fair on Lage. Aware he’s not everyone’s cup of tea (I’m not a fan myself) but nice seeing a more balanced view. He can be blamed for a lot of things, but for us failing to take chances (2’which you would see are clear cut) is hardly on him

Lage has to take some responsibility for Podence regularly ending up as our de facto #9, surely.
That’s what happens with a fluid front line, they interchange and move?

Gibbs White showed for the ball at least 15 times in really nice holes and the ball didn't come. Dendoncker and Collins were the two main culprits for this, our front 4 moved well off the ball but we were completely unable to get the ball into them without Fulham being completely defensively set.
Yeah Gibbs-White did and constantly the ball didn’t come but if that wasn’t the plan he doesn’t make those movements and neither do the other front 3. My point about not doing it enough was on Neto/Hwang spinning in behind and Fulham were quite high at times in the 1st half. With the passes in to MGW and Podence in particular i agree Donk and Collins were probably most at fault but i think that’s a player issue rather than a system coaching thing, they need to trust they can do it and not worry about giving the ball away if that’s the right pass.

It wasn't a terrible performance and definitely not a good one but the lack of focal point up top is just blatantly killing us. A natural No. 9 would of finished most of the big chances today some of the attempted finishing was just shocking at this level.

It's a new system but it still seems the same way of playing with Neves dropping deep and a lack of tempo. We are absolutely screaming out for midfielder who can carry the ball and drive us forward the middle of the park just seems so predictable.

Gibbs-White I can not knock his lack of effort but we can't afford having him as well as Podence with pointless flicks and over playing.

Think movement makes a massive impact on this, very few players in that squad happy to have the ball in areas that the opposition don't want them to have it. That restricts passing options massively and leads to the extra touches and generally lethargic tempo. You simply can't play quick football if people aren't moving into new positions.

Central midfield is a big issue for me, should be the beating heart of your team, always an outlet, always wanting the ball, dictating the tempo and dominating the game. Wolves are too passive here, and have been for a long time, too easily forced backwards or retreating in line with the centre halves to get some comfortable touches in. It's no wonder they've struggled to play through the centre of the pitch for so long when there has been so little change of personnel in that area.

Yeah Gibbs-White did and constantly the ball didn’t come but if that wasn’t the plan he doesn’t make those movements and neither do the other front 3. My point about not doing it enough was on Neto/Hwang spinning in behind and Fulham were quite high at times in the 1st half. With the passes in to MGW and Podence in particular i agree Donk and Collins were probably most at fault but i think that’s a player issue rather than a system coaching thing, they need to trust they can do it and not worry about giving the ball away if that’s the right pass.

I disagree, it's clear to me that they aren't drilled to be able to raise the tempo which is why we play at the same speed all the time bar in the final 3rd.

There were times when Neto spun in behind and Ait Nouri waited an age to play the pass.

Back