• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Leicester: Verdict Thread

I think we need to find a happy medium.

It renders the season a bit of a void if we just go back to a less effective way of how we always play. I don't want us shipping goals and losing every game either, but surely Semedo Coady Saiss Jonny is a good basis to start. We can't expect to have our entire first choice defence every game, no one else does.

Back to 4231 next weekend for me and let's try put an injury ravaged, out of form team to the sword at home

I can't remember if it was YW who said it, but our problem at the moment is (before today) 3-4-3 meant we were ultra-defensive but 4-2-3-1 meant we were wide open and not covering shortcomings in the team.

Today was a lot better with centre-halves passing to wingbacks in open spaces and the wingbacks coming inside.

Inevitably the focus is on Silva's miss but it was a good save. Moutinho and Neves chances were not as good but it only needed little composure from either of them to at least hit the target. Far too many shots sail high or wide - it's like the spirit of Kevin MacDonald is haunting Molineux!

I'm not digging out Fabio personally, but we can't just be blase about missing gilt-edged chances when we create hardly any
Don't think i've been blase at all. Just analysing it as it would be analysed in football terms rather than football fan bullshit. As i've said he should score more often than not but i can cope with an opposition keeper making world class saves, that's not blase.

I think we should stick with the same formation for a few games. Let's get some more points on the board, then we can fuck about with formations without thinking about the teams below us.
I thought we'd all scoffed at the idea of a relegation scrap?

It's not fucking about, it's trying to unlock this teams potential and longevity at this level. It's literally what Nuno's mission had been this season.

Neves and Moutinho made a big difference too - much better at closing Leicester players down and limiting space. The two of them dictated the tempo that first half in a way I haven't seen them do for a long time.

We played well in patches and dismal in others.

When we get Neves and João further up the pitch to support William Jose we look good. When we don't and they're to deep we have two wingers playing as wide as possible and an isolated forward

Nuno has the same problem he has had all season. We miss Jota and his goals. That second wide player coming in and attacking the posts behind Raul/ WJ.

Jonny and Semedo cutting inside was nice to see and KJH was impressive from that side too, making some lovely runs and passes.

Neves and João were wasteful in possession at times and have played much better but it's nice to see them play and boss an impressive Leicester midfield in spells.

Poor Fabio, should never have been bought on, is nowhere near ready and should've finished that chance as that's what top level players do.

I'm at the stage I just can't watch Traore, I think he's actively a detriment to the team and for the one good run a game the rest of his play is appalling. Semedo clearly can't play with him and Doc struggled too. I'd like us to sell him in the summer, keep Neto and buy a Jota replacement.

But in the main we got a point, stopped the rot and have something good to build on. Should've won and it feels good to genuinely mean that without Raul in the team.

Last edited:
Considering the quality we were up against today I'm really happy with that performance. I think if we'd had Raúl up front for 90 minutes we win that game.

The most disappointing thing for me is that I don’t feel we tried hard enough to win it.

Make no mistake, Leicester were there to be beaten today, they certainly didn’t look a top four side without Vardy.

A decent striker buries Silva’s chance and we win. But unfortunately he’s rubbish. Let’s please not pretend otherwise either, it’s embarrassing.

I have absolutely no idea why we hooked Jose on 60 mins today, and I doubt he has either.

He must be - rightfully - pissed off.

Think I agree with Johnny on cashing in on Adama and signing a Jota replacement - that inside forward who can support the striker a bit more. Get £35-40m for Traore and we'll be able to find somebody more than capable.

Going the opposite corner wasn't out of the question, if you look at the Jota goal v Cardiff in 2018/19 which won GOTS he went across the goalkeeper in his finish. Its a similar throughball and distance.

Of course Schmeichel deserves credit but I think the better finishing option wasn't taken.

Its all well and good sneering at posters for criticising a poor finish but if you aren't creating many chances when they do come along you need to be making them count.

Inevitably the focus is on Silva's miss but it was a good save. Moutinho and Neves chances were not as good but it only needed little composure from either of them to at least hit the target. Far too many shots sail high or wide - it's like the spirit of Kevin MacDonald is haunting Molineux!
Looked like he missed the target to me, irrespective of the save.

The “save” glossed over a Sunday league miss.

Don't think i've been blase at all. Just analysing it as it would be analysed in football terms rather than football fan bullshit. As i've said he should score more often than not but i can cope with an opposition keeper making world class saves, that's not blase.

All I am is a football fan mate, so forgive my bullshit. Like Lincs said, we can't dismiss criticism of not creating many chances and then dismiss criticism of not taking the few we do create. It's not personal and no one was trying to make Fabio upset

Going the opposite corner wasn't out of the question, if you look at the Jota goal v Cardiff in 2018/19 which won GOTS he went across the goalkeeper in his finish. Its a similar throughball and distance.

Of course Schmeichel deserves credit but I think the better finishing option wasn't taken.

Its all well and good sneering at posters for criticising a poor finish but if you aren't creating many chances when they do come along you need to be making them count.
I agree with that. I think if he lifts it in either corner he probably scores and that was his best chance of scoring. I do think though that most times he scores anyway as most keepers aren't out as quick and as big as Schmeichel. I guess the sneering comment is based on me saying it's football fan bollocks and fair enough if you think that but that's what it is. I think saying he should have scored is fair enough but saying a proper striker would have scored is nonsense.

When Leicester attacked, they had Barnes, Iheanacho, Maddison, Tielemans, Pereira/Justin, Perez flitting around the penalty area - we just never seem to get anywhere near that many bodies in and around the box - hope next season that we can have players/formation to do similar.

The most disappointing thing for me is that I don’t feel we tried hard enough to win it.

Make no mistake, Leicester were there to be beaten today, they certainly didn’t look a top four side without Vardy.

A decent striker buries Silva’s chance and we win. But unfortunately he’s rubbish. Let’s please not pretend otherwise either, it’s embarrassing.

I have absolutely no idea why we hooked Jose on 60 mins today, and I doubt he has either.

He must be - rightfully - pissed off.
Willian contributed nothing. Silva did more in his time on the pitch than Willian did. Yes, he should have scored but it was on target and it was a good piece of goalkeeping.

I do agree, you are embarrassing.

When Leicester attacked, they had Barnes, Iheanacho, Maddison, Tielemans, Pereira/Justin, Perez flitting around the penalty area - we just never seem to get anywhere near that many bodies in and around the box - hope next season that we can have players/formation to do similar.
I get your point, but I think the chances we created we're better.

This is why my issue isn't with 3/5 at the back, it's how we play it without Jota and Doc and (for now) Raul.

All I am is a football fan mate, so forgive my bullshit. Like Lincs said, we can't dismiss criticism of not creating many chances and then dismiss criticism of not taking the few we do create. It's not personal and no one was trying to make Fabio upset
I'll forgive it although i don't think i've seen where you said a proper striker would have scored. I don't know how many times i've said but i think he should score too but i can also see that Schmeichel has made a world class save. The issue i have is that saying a proper striker would have scored is bollocks because even the best strikers have missed those or better chances. Again me having an issue with it in the grand scheme of things doesn't mean a great deal but it's clearly upset you.

Back