• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

We're basically hoping for Nuno and the team to have a few weeks off then return and perform water-into-wine training ground miracles, as well as replicate our excellent summer 2018 transfer window (rather than every pretty mediocre transfer window since).

I'm not sure expecting most of that to fall into place is particularly realistic.
I don't think this is true. You can already see our general performance is improving, we are trying to play higher up the pitch, just our attacking play/decision making isn't there right now. An actual pre-season is the time where we can work on tactical issues that we just won't have been able to lay the foundations for this season. So I don't think it's expecting miracles to expect to see us look sharper, and with better understanding between players following this.

I agree on the transfer window, a lot of pressure to get that right this summer, if they can't improve the first eleven suitably think they will need to be evaluating their recruitment team (and approach). If we do get those signings right at CB, CM and a winger/forward I think we actually have a pretty strong squad.

We're not the same side as at the beginning of the season though and if you thought it was the same last night you need to lay off the bourbon.

We were not passive, defensive or horseshoe in shape, we actually had adventure. Semedo had the first shot on target from a good move and we carved open Liverpool at will. We have issues with our front 3 and the make up of the squad and we clearly need a RCB (poor Saiss has no right foot).

We need two players, maybe three but not major surgery.
Spot on - put Raul in the team last night and it would have been a very different result.

Fabio is absolutely fine coming off the bench at this point to be honest, I thought he showed that again last night.
Is there a huge difference between starting and coming off the bench?

I'd honestly start Fabio and then when we tire and need the ball to stick a bit more upfront I'd be bringing on WJ.

Is there a huge difference between starting and coming off the bench?

I'd honestly start Fabio and then when we tire and need the ball to stick a bit more upfront I'd be bringing on WJ.
I think there is, Fabio only played what half an hour? He's not physically ready to exert himself for such long periods IMO. When he comes off the bench he looks sharper and a bit stronger, against more tired players.

I have no problem with him starting the odd game between now and the end of the season though, it will be good for his development, but we don't need to over do it, he's had a very good amount of minutes this season which will hold him in good stead for next season, even if he's got less goals than he should based on the chances he's had.

A proper cock up leaving us in mid-table isn't something to be sniffed at 😉

Lower-mid table really, we're as close to 16th as we are to 10th (and that's having played a game more). 😉

After every game we don't win (that's 20/29) we get 'if only Raul was playing', and it seems that Nuno has been stuck in the same mindset for the past four months too.

During the close season we unpicked our playing style, sold effective parts of that style and poorly replaced them with inconsistent performers, bench-warmers and muddled thinking. Nearly 30 games in and we still barely have the green shoots of any kind of new direction.

Like I said, a lot of issues and poor decision-making to undo, and although some will feel relief at not having to see Adama sitting on his backside looking hard done by anymore, there's plenty wrong elsewhere

A few years ago, if we was in the position that we are now, we would all be saying what a great season we have had. It just shows you how far we have come. I think 2 or 3 new signings in the summer , and we will be sorted. This 2 week break will do us good, and hopefully Podence will be back.

I don't think this is true. You can already see our general performance is improving, we are trying to play higher up the pitch, just our attacking play/decision making isn't there right now. An actual pre-season is the time where we can work on tactical issues that we just won't have been able to lay the foundations for this season.

I understand that pre-season is an intense, foundation-building period, and that it's less ideal to be doing that work once the season is underway, so it begs the question what we did last pre-season. Certainly less effective work than the likes of Moyes or Smith!

And I'm not quite convinced by the argument that it's pre-season or bust in terms of team development anyway. Look at the changes Parker at Fulham has made in restructuring his team into a decent unit while the season has been underway. We're almost 30 games in and we're still rocking the ineffective 3-4-3 with the same players. OK, they're sometimes playing a bit higher up the pitch and sometimes pressing higher too, but not that consistently. We've still had five or six months of in-season weekly training sessions, with millimetrical progress as far as I can see?

We have three weeks before our next game, does anyone believe we're going to see any improvements by then?

Lower-mid table really, we're as close to 16th as we are to 10th (and that's having played a game more). 😉

After every game we don't win (that's 20/29) we get 'if only Raul was playing', and it seems that Nuno has been stuck in the same mindset for the past four months too.

During the close season we unpicked our playing style, sold effective parts of that style and poorly replaced them with inconsistent performers, bench-warmers and muddled thinking. Nearly 30 games in and we still barely have the green shoots of any kind of new direction.

Like I said, a lot of issues and poor decision-making to undo, and although some will feel relief at not having to see Adama sitting on his backside looking hard done by anymore, there's plenty wrong elsewhere
If it's as bad as you say, then we've done well to be where we are.

We have three weeks before our next game, does anyone believe we're going to see any improvements by then?
We are not going to change much in the final 9 games. Maybe Podence returning will give us a bit of better link up play. In the couple of games he played with Jose for example, he played close to him and Jose actually had shots on goal and won a penalty all from link up with him. Obviously if we see Raul on the pitch again, the lift from that will drag us through a couple of games as well.

I was concerned with the body language after the Rui incident last night, a lot of players and Nuno with the look of people who were taking the final punch they can cope with.

I understand that pre-season is an intense, foundation-building period, and that it's less ideal to be doing that work once the season is underway, so it begs the question what we did last pre-season. Certainly less effective work than the likes of Moyes or Smith!

And I'm not quite convinced by the argument that it's pre-season or bust in terms of team development anyway. Look at the changes Parker at Fulham has made in restructuring his team into a decent unit while the season has been underway. We're almost 30 games in and we're still rocking the ineffective 3-4-3 with the same players. OK, they're sometimes playing a bit higher up the pitch and sometimes pressing higher too, but not that consistently. We've still had five or six months of in-season weekly training sessions, with millimetrical progress as far as I can see?

We literally didn't have a pre-season, this is the entire point.

We've seen improvements in the performances/set up since the Palace game, I'm not sure how anyone can deny that. We are pressing higher and trying to keep hold of the ball for longer. Our attacking play has been ineffective bar the odd moment/set piece. That is the next stage we need to work on (and I will keep banging the 4231 drum for us all :D)

Fabio did ONE thing badly, and several pretty good. Willian Jose managed to trap the ball and play a short pass a few times (actual improvement) but what else did he do really. That said I agree with YW, Fabio is probably benefiting from coming off the bench, and tbh we should probably just use and abuse Jose then send him back at the end of season.

Traore, Traore, Traore. Surprised someone here hasn't exploded in rage yet that talk of his possible transfer has been discussed on a matchday thread. I think Johnny ultimately said it - we could move on as a team without him. You lose his magic but gain some stability across the board, perhaps!

Someone else here needs to get a job, or do some bloody gardening or something.

And whoever said the forum is more frustrating than last nights game, hell yeah, barely been able to get on the last few weeks. Fed up of clearing my history and being logged out of everything else so I just fuck it off now and read what you lot put. Admin clearly don't care though, fair enough, their site. Inabit.

Traore summed up our attacking impotence at the end of the game last night. He went on a brilliant run taking four players out of the game and then slows down to a stop when he reaches the area and puts a god awful nothing cross into the box. He could easily have run into the box and had a shot or put a low cross in across the 6 yard box.
There are multiple occasions each week where we get in good positions and just stop and look a bit lost and then end up going backwards.

Oh and I’m fine with Fabio off the bench as long as he’s getting 20-30 minutes. I think he’s improving and looks good in general each time but would struggle from the start. I’m maybe blinded as I like him but I’m convinced he’ll be a good goalscorer in the not too distant future.

You don't think we've improved in the last 6 weeks or so?

Admin clearly don't care though, fair enough, their site. Inabit.
How about do one.

The issues are out of our control and will probably cost a fair bit to sort (on top of the money 1 admin already pays out each month to run the site). We are not sitting laughing because people can't access the site or have to clear shit to do it. This isn't a job, no one gets paid to run this site and those that do have jobs/families etc. Its fucking annoying and when time permits things are being done or attempted to be done but when they are nothing to do with the actual site itself and you rely on others it becomes double frustrating.

Enjoy the rest of your day x

We literally didn't have a pre-season, this is the entire point.

I don't think this is the great vindicating statement people think it is.

It doesn't reflect well on Nuno or the club's decision making that we chose a 'no pre-season' period to start dismantling established personnel and playing style and replacing them with crocks, kids who rarely play and Nelson '1 assist 0 goals' Semedo, and a new 'style' that so far looks less effective and less attractive than the old one

Remember, it's that decision making that people are saying mean we should be optimistic about the huge work we have to undertake in summer 2021

If 4231 is the future and Traore off then we need a centre half, wide forward and ACM for the first 11. There's a debate to be had as to who the player alongside Neves is aswell.
I don't think 4-2-3-1 is the future as I think we look better 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2 with the players we have, we just need better options in the front 3 and a RCB.

That's only a 2/3 players imo and be like the positive play we had last night as we had more than enough chances to win that game.

Back