• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

Two teams short of confidence, but they showed more quality up front than we did. Mane in our team would have made a huge difference.
Poor game from Saiss - kept giving the ball away with 1st time passes without looking up.
Looked like a foul on Semedo in real time, but keepers seem to allowed to do stuff like that and var didn't ask Pawson to take another look.

Two teams short of confidence, but they showed more quality up front than we did. Mane in our team would have made a huge difference.
Poor game from Saiss - kept giving the ball away with 1st time passes without looking up.
Looked like a foul on Semedo in real time, but keepers seem to allowed to do stuff like that and var didn't ask Pawson to take another look.
Carragher had no doubt that it was a penalty.

Agree with much of what has been said.

Solid at the back bar one brain fart. Midfield was snappy and creative against a very good opposition three. Up front we have 2 wingers and a couple of forwards who are never going to score.

Our decision making, runs on and off the ball and tempo in the final third is abysmal. It's all very easy to read and worse, individual in nature which makes it hard for any forward to know what either winger is going to do.

I hope this is Traore's last season with us as I can't stand watching him lose the ball time after time anymore. It isn't exciting it's infuriating to watch.

We can't have Traore, Neto and Fabio up front as none of them play with each other. If you watch the Liverpool front three they all know where each other are going and what they are doing and it's credit to Boly, Saiss and Coady tonight as to how well they dealt with them.

Our front three have no third person running or timing and that's more individual than tactical as I agree with YW that we set up with real purpose. João in particular was superb in his use of the ball.

Frustrating to lose tonight.

With good recruitment I think we could really push on next season.

Solid at the back bar one brain fart. Midfield was snappy and creative against a very good opposition three. Up front we have 2 wingers and a couple of forwards who are never going to score.

Our decision making, runs on and off the ball and tempo in the final third is abysmal. It's all very easy to read and worse, individual in nature which makes it hard for any forward to know what either winger is going to do.

I hope this is Traore's last season with us as I can't stand watching him lose the ball time after time anymore. It isn't exciting it's infuriating to watch.

We can't have Traore, Neto and Fabio up front as none of them play with each other. If you watch the Liverpool front three they all know where each other are going and what they are doing and it's credit to Boly, Saiss and Coady tonight as to how well they dealt with them.

Our front three have no third person running or timing and that's more individual than tactical as I agree with YW that we set up with real purpose. João in particular was superb in his use of the ball.

Fabio will be a major goal scorer in the future, Jose clearly not. I agree with you regarding Boly & co - they did well. Moutinho had his best game this season.

We can't have Traore, Neto and Fabio up front as none of them play with each other. If you watch the Liverpool front three they all know where each other are going and what they are doing and it's credit to Boly, Saiss and Coady tonight as to how we'll they dealt with them.

I think recruitment alone gives Nuno a bit of an easy ride tbh. We've all have had ST's with that annoying dick who has a catchphrase. I had one once who used to shout "what do they do in training all week?" I feel like him at the moment.

Traore is frustration number 1, but he's not on his own. Neto plays his own game, which given that's been the expectation for most of the season I can understand, but the last couple of games has been off form. The midfield rarely supports the attack although Neves is trying more. Offensively we are disjointed and defensively still concede a soft goal most weeks.

Roll on next season.

What about selling Adama, bringing Mir back as Raul back up and playing Fabio and Neto behind Raul next season. Use the Adama money to get some midfield creativity that can score and create goals. Perhaps another Moutinho like purchase of a 32 year old with three years to give? We have gone knowhere fast this season.

I don't see Fabio as that kind of 10 tbh. I think he's a second forward in a 2 at the moment. Raul isn't the other one though. Traore will be gone in the Summer, his contract situation will see to that.

I think Adama will go too. We'll make some kind of profit on him, not as much as we could have done last year. He'll be exactly the same for his next club, and the club after that, and the club after that.

EwjkCMCWgAsolI5

No pen!

Fuck off man.

I expect Adama to go too, obviously Nuno has been unable to develop him beyond being an inconsistent winger who now has no-one to cross to and a wing-back partnership that doesn't work. Some transfer gambles just don't come off, hopefully we have better luck with the ones we made last summer.

I can't be that happy about the prospect of Traore going though tbh, as to me it's yet another starting player we have to replace, and our recent transfer record has been patchy to say the least. We're already needing at least two big signings to go straight in, as well as implementing this style change that still is yet to splutter into life even after almost 30 games!

I also can't shake the feeling we might be looking at a battle to keep Pedro too... what a crock of shit this season has been! 😅

Who would buy Adama, and how much would he go for?

I can't see it myself, i think his form will return with a pre season and with Raul to play with again.

Also, why do we have to sell to buy? I thought we were an ambitious club with ambitious owners?

This isn't about selling to buy. He has two years left and is refusing to sign a new deal. There's a lot of managers out there who will think they can be the one to unlock what he has. Leeds is the one mentioned most. I think we'll get between £25m-£30m

We have not got the best out of Adama this season, but on the other hand who has performed to their max? Neto has improved, but we know there is more to come. None of our squad has had a great season. I think we will sell Adama this summer (if the right offer comes in), and that the whole team will be better with a good summer break. And if that does happen, just imagine how good Semedo will be next year!

Yeah our attacking cohesion is abysmal. Some of it is tactical as by having less men in the final third it naturally makes things more difficult. But still a lot of them time and more so last night than normal as we actually got into good positions for once, it’s not great.

Firstly we often go backwards (we’ve said this before) and allow Liverpool to reset when maintaining the attack without having to really take a risk would see them “unbalanced”, but we play the safe option and they are balanced. We can’t break down teams in shape at the best of times.

As Johnny said, our third man runs etc are either non existent or abysmal. Even a MM team got this bit right. Our only tactic was to use Jarvis, so when the ball goes into midfield hes already darted down the line and the midfielder just had to hit the space behind. We either don’t make the run, ignore the run or execute the pass badly.

This is amplified by the loss of Raul, Jota and Doc. They played in this same limited system but still managed to link, create and score “against the odds” given we never really had many players in attack and often Raul and Jota were left to do it on their own with Doc joining late.

Liverpool are a better team, but they do it so well. A simple example is the Mane header. The ball is laid off to TAA and he just puts into an area, but Mane knows this so attacks that space and gets a decent opportunity to score. When we get in those situations no one has a clue, and even if they did the quality is very often lacking.

It’s all very frustrating.

Pawson was awful, one stonewall penalty, one "I've seen them given", Boly had free kicks given against him for breathing (the handball one and a tackle where he got the ball cleanly). Salah just had to fall down and he'd get a freekick. Thiago free to make as many fouls as he liked.

One thing for me is that we create more when Silva is on the pitch than WJ.

WJ seems to turn invisible when we're looking to get something going

Back