• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Man Utd: Verdict Thread

I didn't think he had a good game, there was the back pass, a cross where he got caught under the ball again and despite seeing plenty of the ball, created little, stopping attacking build ups by playing on his heals and seeing balls go out of play or out of reach. He also got done for the cross which lead to the Antony (?) header they should have scored from in the first half.
That's all true but overall think he was still fine. We have no-one else in the squad that has his pace and athleticism, couple of times in the last few games (and all through his time here) that we got caught with an opposition player running through on goal and its Semedo gets back and puts pressure on.
Defensively I think he's OK but for a modern day FB his attacking prowess is appalling.

So you haven't seen the guy play, know nothing about him at all yet he won't solve our problems scoring goals.

Ludicrous logic.

Weren't you championing Ronan too? A player who will be binned shortly.
It's not ludicrous logic , it's just a different opinion to yours .
We're all entitled to an opinion here .
We need a scoring striker full stop . We're the lowest scoring team in the Premier League , something that will come back to bite us sooner rather than later , unless we can solve it .
And yes I am a fan of Ronan , in terms of being given a chance to show what he could contribute , and if it shows that he is not up to it , then fair enough .
Think of all the players we have played time and again who contribute so little , and yet they keep getting picked or brought on .
They never gave Ronan that chance for a few matches in a row .
It's history now and he'll probably leave this month , but it could have been handled better when he was not loaned out again .

It's not ludicrous logic , it's just a different opinion to yours .
We're all entitled to an opinion here .
We need a scoring striker full stop . We're the lowest scoring team in the Premier League , something that will come back to bite us sooner rather than later , unless we can solve it .
And yes I am a fan of Ronan , in terms of being given a chance to show what he could contribute , and if it shows that he is not up to it , then fair enough .
Think of all the players we have played time and again who contribute so little , and yet they keep getting picked or brought on .
They never gave Ronan that chance for a few matches in a row .
It's history now and he'll probably leave this month , but it could have been handled better when he was not loaned out again .
I challenged your opinion which you seem to think shouldn't happen, and of course as this is a forum opinions are there to be challenged.

So I'll try again, have you seen Cunha play? And what makes you think he won't score goals?

Ronan just isn't very good I'm afraid.

I mean Ive seen very little of Ronan or Hodge, but what I have seen suggests to me there is very little between them, I'd prefer we had a different option.

I challenged your opinion which you seem to think shouldn't happen, and of course as this is a forum opinions are there to be challenged.

So I'll try again, have you seen Cunha play? And what makes you think he won't score goals?

Ronan just isn't very good I'm afraid.

On the flip side, have you seen cunha play and do you think he will solve our goal scoring problems? Or score goals I should say.

On the flip side, have you seen cunha play and do you think he will solve our goal scoring problems? Or score goals I should say.

I'd imagine a large proportion of football fans will have seen him play, he's not some unknown. The blokes played regularly in the CL for the past 3/4 years.

To a certain extent you have to rely on underlying numbers with a forward.

There is no one-size-fits-all (or very, very few) striker in football. Iago Aspas has been La Liga's definition of a reliable goal scorer for years. Would anyone have him here?

It isn't the flipside as I'm not the one claiming he isn't the answer.

I honestly don't know if he is as I've seen him a grand total of twice for Hertha. He did score a thunderbastard in one of the games (during Covid lockdown).

I think a 10 is more important and I think JL will get more from the wide players or get new wide players in.

Cunha may be a wide player who can score for all I know but his versatility across the front 3 is probably key to his signing.

I'd love us to get Thuram or En Nesyri in but I can't see that happening at all.

Apparently Thuram is only interested in United, PSG, Inter, and Bayern. Imagine one of those four will reciprocate.

Apparently Thuram is only interested in United, PSG, Inter, and Bayern. Imagine one of those four will reciprocate.
Doubt it, Inter are broke, and none of the others need him.

Mm, I wouldn't be so sure re Thuram. Personally don't think he's up to PSG or Bayern levels. Man Utd already have Rashford in that spot he prefers. Inter I guess, maybe but if they take Lukaku back it'll be him and Martinez again. -edit- took too long I see.

I think what people tend to miss a bit with forwards is its very rare to find one without a flaw or two in their game. Players like Raul, when he was on top form, can basically do everything you want - score, create, unselfish, good in the air, good dribbler, works hard - we got lucky with him.

If you want someone who does nothing but score then you're going to lose out elsewhere and others are probably going to have to sacrifice parts of their game to support that. In our case maybe that wouldn't be the worst thing as they don't score anyway, but conversely if we get someone in who can create for them as well it might lead to just as much productivity. Pretty sure that was the plan with Sasa - he wasn't going to hit 20 but he could facilitate for the team.

It isn't the flipside as I'm not the one claiming he isn't the answer.

I honestly don't know if he is as I've seen him a grand total of twice for Hertha. He did score a thunderbastard in one of the games (during Covid lockdown).

I think a 10 is more important and I think JL will get more from the wide players or get new wide players in.

Cunha may be a wide player who can score for all I know but his versatility across the front 3 is probably key to his signing.

I'd love us to get Thuram or En Nesyri in but I can't see that happening at all.
Flip side maybe the wrong expression.

I haven’t seen him play, or can’t recall seeing him play so dont know whether he will help or not etc, but we will see.

Going off his record it doesn’t look prolific, however lots of appearances off the bench and his goal involvement per 90 minutes is pretty good.

Nice to have another option though especially when final third clearly not working.

Flip side maybe the wrong expression.

I haven’t seen him play, or can’t recall seeing him play so dont know whether he will help or not etc, but we will see.

Going off his record it doesn’t look prolific, however lots of appearances off the bench and his goal involvement per 90 minutes is pretty good.

Nice to have another option though especially when final third clearly not working.

He's a good finisher but he's not going to bang 20 a season in for anyone as he's not just hanging around the penalty area waiting for opportunities. He'll come deep and create, drift wide to run at defenders. He's been compared to Firmino a few times, I'd say he's more of a deluxe Ollie Watkins.

Semedo wasn't good yesterday.
He was not as bad as Antony was for them (& he was bad - how much did they pay for him again?)
The point is he's consistently contributing nothing positive, & regularly gives the opposition goal scoring opportunities. Multiple times in each game.

Semedo wasn't good yesterday.
He was not as bad as Antony was for them (& he was bad - how much did they pay for him again?)
The point is he's consistently contributing nothing positive, & regularly gives the opposition goal scoring opportunities. Multiple times in each game.
I do wonder if Lembikisia would be a better option.

I'd imagine a large proportion of football fans will have seen him play, he's not some unknown. The blokes played regularly in the CL for the past 3/4 years.
I'd never heard of him, can't say I recognise him from anywhere having now seen him either, quick look online says he's never started a Champions League game.

I'd never heard of him, can't say I recognise him from anywhere having now seen him either, quick look online says he's never started a Champions League game.

If you'd never seen his goal for Leipzig where he did the Marseilles turn and then chipped the keeper I'm convinced you've lived in a cave. Everyone has seen that goal, it was everywhere.

Back