• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Man Utd: Verdict Thread

If we can get January prices for any of our forwards and bring in alternatives for much the same we’d be mad not to. If Leeds want Hwang I’m struggling to see we could bring in anyone less effective than him even though he has looked better since the WC.

Happy with the performance if not the result. Thought United just about deserved the points so no complaints, helped by the ref though who was awful.

Huge gamble with Neto as he wasn’t pulling up any trees before his latest injury. Hope he will rediscover the previous form on his return, rather than beforehand just being a hot streak.
Neto reminds me when Costa had his injury.
When he came back he was nowhere near the same player. I just hope that Neto doesn't go the same way.

There’s something great about seeing a centre half embark on an insane direct dribble, it gladdens my soul.

More of that I say :)
Reminded me of (forgive me any young kids on here) Frank Munro doing just that, or even Mike Bailey.
Mind you it became a suitable time to go for a piss if John McAlle ever tried it...

Neto reminds me when Costa had his injury.
When he came back he was nowhere near the same player. I just hope that Neto doesn't go the same way.
Think he came back with no preseason didn’t he? into a team that were hardly firing. So there are mitigating factors?

As mentioned hopefully when he returns he isn’t rushed back and looks the player he did couple years back.

Neto looked poor because he was completely isolated by Lage and his dreadful football.

Fresh start for him in my eyes, same as the rest of the squad.
Naturally it’s a fresh start. But just to say ‘he was poor because of Lage’ isn’t necessarily true, is it. By the same logic we could say he was only good because of nuno.

Naturally it’s a fresh start. But just to say ‘he was poor because of Lage’ isn’t necessarily true, is it. By the same logic we could say he was only good because of nuno.
It's the head coaches job to put his players in positions that maximise their ability and give them the best chance to succeed. Lage did the opposite of that for basically all his forward players, Neto is good but he regularly found himself in situations where he'd have to beat 3/4 players to have any impact. Clean slate for all of them IMO.

It's the head coaches job to put his players in positions that maximise their ability and give them the best chance to succeed. Lage did the opposite of that for basically all his forward players, Neto is good but he regularly found himself in situations where he'd have to beat 3/4 players to have any impact. Clean slate for all of them IMO.
I’m not disagreeing, just saying it’s not he was poor ALL because of Lage. Could be a number of factors, with Lage Ofcourse being a big factor

Reactions: b3h
Haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but a few quick thoughts;

The game was fairly entertaining. Felt there were LOADS of differences and things being developed by Lopetegui, and our passing and interactions between players is much improved. There is so much more organisation, and a proper system in place, albeit one still requiring work.

Utd never looked like scoring 1st half, and even after the break Rashford looked the only player likely to score.

Sa looked inconsistent. Semedo/Jonny I think are done, and we need a new right back.
Kilman and Collins looked much improved, Collins in particular had a good game. Bueno back to playing really well too.
Nunes continued to show a marked improvement under Lopetegui, although he still has catching up to do. The time with Lage has wasted 3 months of his adaptation to PL football. Neves looks far more likely to score nowadays. Moutinho has been criticised recently, but it felt liked we lost the midfield a bit when he went off.

Podence may have earned a stay of execution, but he is no more than a squad player, and the worry I have is he'll now be rank in his next 4 games. Hwang worked very hard, and did some good closing down/pressing, especially in the early stages of the game.
Costa, it's such a shame he's 5 yards slower than the rest of the game. He still has something, but sadly it isn't what we desperately need right now. He can win the ball, hold it up, lay it off to a n other, but he can't then spin round for the return ball and it looks like he hasn't the power in his shooting either. For me, he's only of use to bring on for the last 20-30 mins to hold the ball up if we are defending a lead or looking to counter.

Adama looked better, but it's the age old issue that he showed potential, not outcomes.

Toti, I'm just not sure he's ready tbh. Think the adrenaline of his debut and subsequent 2-3 games made his ability seem higher than it is. He doesn't fill me with confidence. Was surprised he was the central player when we briefly went to a back 3.

The lack of a booking for Casemiro when he bodied checked Neves was appalling refereeing. Perhaps he doesn't make the second challenge on a yellow, but you never know. I fully expected the ref to get his autograph book out at full time.
This really wound me up at the time, and it is the inconsistency.
Semedo had been yellow carded earlier for a challenge that from my angle was really nthing at all. May have been a slight push at worst. Ref booked him.
Now if that was a booking, then fernandes should have had 2 yellows and been off. Likewise, Casemiro's 2 challenges were both worse than Semedo's and thus deserved cards. The bodycheck was blatant, and to receive no sanction was wrong.

It's the inconsistency that is so much more frustrating.

He wasn't going to book Semedo then United players got in his ear (I'm just going to blame that rat faced fuck Fernandes, because the odds are I'm guessing right) and he showed the card.

I don't want to write off Jonny because he's been absolutely brilliant for us, but I'm going to have to. Just looks awful most times he plays now.

The refs will use the cop out that Semedo stopped a promising attack in the attacking third whereas Casemiro did it in our own third. Now it’s a load of bollocks, because Semedo had actually recovered and there was nothing in it, whereas Casemiro’s was cynical and more violent (not saying it was violent, just more so). That stopped a promising attack for us even if it was in our own third as Neves had the opportunity to release the forwards on the counter.

However, think back to the Arsenal game where we tripped Martinelli in his own third and we got a player booked, he wasn’t even going to get on the ball anyway. Then Odegaard cynically pulled back Moutinho on the halfway line where he had the freedom of the pitch to drive into, was the definition of a promising attack - no card for Odegaard.

I don’t like to always blame the ref, but these situations and the time keeping are just factually wrong and blatantly so. So it comes back to bias, incompetence or corruption.

The timekeeping is just an easy one to pull him up on when he gets assessed. Just quite simply "how on earth can that be five minutes". Can't explain, you don't get to ref for a while then (and that goes for all levels, if you're shit for us then you're going to be shit for Oldham or Bradford, and why should they suffer).

Instead they'll hand him points for turning up with his kit nicely ironed.

There’s just no accountability and I don’t get why. No idea why these absolute nobodies who have no better skills than you or I (I could argue worse for fat useless twats like Moss, 2 stone overweight for a proffessional, disgrace really) get protected so heavily whilst getting paid so handsomely.

But no one cares. The biggest stakeholders are the TV companies and the PL. They want the big teams to be favoured.

I thought Semedo was fine, surprised to see so many writing him off after yesterday. We were MUCH worse after he went off - he defended well and got forward we’ll. No end product, but that is to be expected I think.
Which in itself is a problem. Standards have fallen so low we've accepted zero attacking output from one of our players who has licence to get forward (and will likely be important to how JL wants to play) as acceptable.

Plus no matter how well he defends in general, he always has an absolute catastrofuck in him. Got away with it yesterday, have been punished many times before. Brighton was a real nadir.

I didn't think he had a good game, there was the back pass, a cross where he got caught under the ball again and despite seeing plenty of the ball, created little, stopping attacking build ups by playing on his heals and seeing balls go out of play or out of reach. He also got done for the cross which lead to the Antony (?) header they should have scored from in the first half.

Back