• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Villa: Verdict Thread

We do indeed have a model and it's fine, but let's just take some of the spunk & spirit Fulham just played with and inject it into a few of our players

We do indeed have a model and it's fine, but let's just take some of the spunk & spirit Fulham just played with and inject it into a few of our players
Are we really accusing our players of having a lack of spirit now? How long has it been since we lost our best player to a horrific head injury and bounced back to comfortably beat Arsenal at the Emirates? 2 weeks?

Likes ain't everything, I talk a load of shite and I have loads :D

I do think people need some perspective at times, we were never going to have an endless upward curve. But if this is the extent of our stall - we might finish a couple of places lower, which ultimately means nothing as the end result is the same - and it's all for a greater goal where we end up better off, then I'm ok with that.

I don't want us going down an Everton road of buying 28/29 year olds and having a ridiculous wage bill and I don't think Fosun want that either. Our fans need to get used to that, we have a model and we will stick with it.
Thing is though, the 'don't be too premature' and 'have perspective' mantra on here only ever applies to criticisms, no matter how constructive.

You don't see anyone getting told snarkily to not be over-excited about a player or run we're on.

I guarantee if we were playing teams off the park right now and in second or third place in the league and Semedo was killing it with assists and the odd goal, most people would be getting highly over excited about both him and whether we could get in the CL etc.

So when things aren't working, why is commenting on it and trying to make sense of it with fellow fans sneered upon?

Analysing what we're seeing unfolding in front of us seems more of a core feature of a supporter than just dumb cheerleading and plucky optimism.

But if you dare to say things aren't working, before long people will just plough in, perhaps without even reading all the discussions, and start telling everyone to be patient and calm down like they're the first person to share this epiphany.

Are we really accusing our players of having a lack of spirit now? How long has it been since we lost our best player to a horrific head injury and bounced back to comfortably beat Arsenal at the Emirates? 2 weeks?
I apologise for not taking the approved Forum line, but I give you the WHU and Liverpool defeats where, yes, heads dropped...

Thing is though, the 'don't be too premature' and 'have perspective' mantra on here only ever applies to criticisms, no matter how constructive.

You don't see anyone getting told snarkily to not be over-excited about a player or run we're on.

I guarantee if we were playing teams off the park right now and in second or third place in the league and Semedo was killing it with assists and the odd goal, most people would be getting highly over excited about both him and whether we could get in the CL etc.

So when things aren't working, why is commenting on it and trying to make sense of it with fellow fans sneered upon?

Analysing what we're seeing unfolding in front of us seems more of a core feature of a supporter than just dumb cheerleading and plucky optimism.

But if you dare to say things aren't working, before long people will just plough in, perhaps without even reading all the discussions, and start telling everyone to be patient and calm down like they're the first person to share this epiphany.
To be fair mate I persistently told people we weren't making the CL last season after we won the first few post-restart games. People kept banging on about it then got upset when we didn't do it. Nope, we just aren't that good yet.

I do feel the mood is more negative than it need be but maybe it's me that's the outlier there.

Although correct, you do realise people see things differently, for example as soon as Saiss was mentioned on the team sheet I had the instant dread of 'please do not do anything wrong' because I know if he had of done the snowball effect of the berating wouldn't have stopped until we finally got to the obligatory "should never wear the shirt again" and you know there's an element of 'safe target' about it, because people know they're preaching to a choir.

ps. please give this a like as I'm currently in 5th place

To be fair mate I persistently told people we weren't making the CL last season after we won the first few post-restart games. People kept banging on about it then got upset when we didn't do it. Nope, we just aren't that good yet.

I do feel the mood is more negative than it need be but maybe it's me that's the outlier there.
The one step back to take two steps forwards takes a leap of faith. It's possible, probably more likely than not, but what's also possible is that we've hit our zenith and are now another PL side who will have the odd good season and the odd bad. Naturally 4 years ago i'd have bitten your hand off for that, but I don't think that's the evolution Nuno was talking about post Seville

It's fine margins as well. We've had no luck this season bar Jimenez at Leeds.

Leicester should have at least given us a point.
Striker crocked by a totally random head injury
Last minute penalty against Villa
Silva hitting the inside of the post and not getting a goal nor kind deflection
Even Adama being booked for being fouled against Arsenal
We were matching Liverpool until Coady made his mistake and then Mane somehow pulls out of fouling him.

I just feel like we've had very little in the way of fortune this season

It's fine margins as well. We've had no luck this season bar Jimenez at Leeds.

Leicester should have at least given us a point.
Striker crocked by a totally random head injury
Last minute penalty against Villa
Silva hitting the inside of the post and not getting a goal nor kind deflection
Even Adama being booked for being fouled against Arsenal
We were matching Liverpool until Coady made his mistake and then Mane somehow pulls out of fouling him.

I just feel like we've had very little in the way of fortune this season
The penalty yesterday wasn’t bad luck neither was Coadys mistake last week just poor decision making. Worst luck was the free kick that lead to the penalty if Dean allows play to go on we don’t lose.

The penalty yesterday wasn’t bad luck neither was Coadys mistake last week just poor decision making. Worst luck was the free kick that lead to the penalty if Dean allows play to go on we don’t lose.
You could say that about every scenario though, I hope you understand my point

You could say that about every scenario though, I hope you understand my point
Kind of I agree Villa had no right walking away with the win yesterday. Also remember the soft free kick Newcastle got to snatch a point to.

your not an outlier, plenty on here who are not unremittingly negative and don't feel the need to make personal remarks when making a counter point

Kind of I agree Villa had no right walking away with the win yesterday. Also remember the soft free kick Newcastle got to snatch a point to.

Good. In reality we have had very little luck this season. But you can make your own luck. We have not had more efforts on target and failed to score since we have been promoted. So it was a robbery but one where we left the door open.

The one step back to take two steps forwards takes a leap of faith. It's possible, probably more likely than not, but what's also possible is that we've hit our zenith and are now another PL side who will have the odd good season and the odd bad. Naturally 4 years ago i'd have bitten your hand off for that, but I don't think that's the evolution Nuno was talking about post Seville
Tbf we haven’t taken a step backward.

Tbf we haven’t taken a step backward.
Yes we have. We did the double over villa and west ham last season and have nil points and no goals from two games against them since. Same for City. Also a defeat against Leicester who couldn't lay a glove on us last year. We are at best a mid table team and that's with Raul on our showings since lockdown.Without him we could be in trouble as we can't finish clinically enough. That considered, is the definition of a backwards step sorry.

I think last season we were getting draws where we’ve lost this season.
No we were getting wins
West ham
Villa
Man city
were all doubles so 18 points.
Lecister two draws. But we are in credit for Sheffield and Arsenal.

No we were getting wins
West ham
Villa
Man city
were all doubles so 18 points.
Lecister two draws. But we are in credit for Sheffield and Arsenal.
But you don’t judge progress by results against the same teams from last season. Conversely we’ve beaten Arsenal & Sheff Utd who we only got 1 point of each last. You make comparison by point totals, league position and performance we’re actually 1 point better off than last season.

But you don’t judge progress by results against the same teams from last season. Conversely we’ve beaten Arsenal & Sheff Utd who we only got 1 point of each last. You make comparison by point totals, league position and performance we’re actually 1 point better off than last season.
I preferred last season to this so far like for like thanks. We blew Sheffield last season away and this year they suck. Arsenal are in dog shit form too. I do think we appear to be easier to beat and play against this season. We are pedestrian and if we create chances we have powerpuff finishing. We won't win more games than we lose unless we have a personnel influx

Back