• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Arsenal: Verdict Thread

How are var decisions made for objective stuff? Is it just one bloke?

How are var decisions made for objective stuff? Is it just one bloke?
Different ref each match, isn't it?

For the sake of consistency I'd go with the NFL model and have it always be decided by a stabilized committee (though in fairness I don't know if there's a hierarchy or rotation therein within that committee).

Is be really interested to know the culture of how top referees operate. Are they willing to receive feedback and have errors highlighted to them?
It was Mike Dean so no is the answer to that.

Maybe if the VAR official knew they’d be taken off for a minimum three months with commensurate loss of earnings they’d be more focused on getting decisions correct. I suspect Dean is naturally predisposed to agreeing with the on-field referee as he hated being shown to be wrong. I don’t like it when the referee gets it wrong but it is understandable, getting it so wrong as Dean did is unforgivable when you’ve got multiple camera angles and slow motion, so much so that it’s hard to argue against those that have suspicions that some under hand goings-on could be at play.

Mike Dean, Stuart Atwell and the cunts officiating at BHA v Vile today, need to be booted out of the game. To think our city produced probably the finest referee ever in Jack Taylor (RIP). A man who rightly awarded a penalty to the Dutch in the first minute of the 1974 World Cup final, against the Germans in Munich. Jack would be saddened that his profession has sunk so low.

Last edited:
What annoys me about the penalty decision is we just keep schtum and accept it. Davis should have been calling the ref and VAR out in the media after the game.

Both Lampard and Conte have done it recently amongst others, and it highlighted decisions going against them. Probably meant others were looked at more thoroughly next time for them.

This is patent bollocks though.

Coady called out VAR on Sky Sports after the Liverpool game when Neto had the goal disallowed. He was visibly angry and emotional. The very next game VAR decided Coadys toenail was encroaching to justify ordering a retake of what was already a soft penalty v City. 5 weeks later he was losing the plot at Mike Dean walking off at HT after we got shafted at home to Leicester.

PGMOL are a band of cunts who hide behind 'respect' to avoid scrutiny. Without transparency things will never change.

It works in other countries. It works in MLS. Sure, some decisions still end up baffling the viewer but by and large it has made the game more fair.

Frankly, the fact that MLS can get VAR correct, yet the FA/PGMOL/whoever the fuck can't is embarrassing for them.
The problem with VAR in the English game is the attitude of the referees overseeing it. It’s ego over fairness.

The problem with VAR in the English game is the attitude of the referees overseeing it. It’s ego over fairness.
It'd take some convincing to get me to believe that English refs are particularly unique in this regard, if I'm honest.

I should probably also state that even if VAR was run properly, I’d still be against it.

I should probably also state that even if VAR was run properly, I’d still be against it.
What I'd be interested to know, but never will is how much refs don't give to let VAR to take the decision off them, particularly on handballs

My solutions are for fixing referring

1) Create a new culture of embracing mistakes and using them for learning / training to improve standards
2) Any backchat/ swearing etc at referees gets punished by sinbin / whatever is appropriate. At grass roots level bans for teams who assault referees. Idea being to encourage more people to take up refereeing.
3) VAR reviews / decisions get made by a panel of 3, seperated referees. A consensus isn't required, the most popular decision is what gets given.

Totally missed the game entirely yesterday and not seen any highlights - how was the back 3? Semedo improved?

Totally missed the game entirely yesterday and not seen any highlights - how was the back 3? Semedo improved?
We looked much more structured and drilled in playing a back 5. Which is a little odd as we've not trained in it for many months!

Although it could have been because we just sat deep and tried to hit on the counter.

We looked much more structured and drilled in playing a back 5. Which is a little odd as we've not trained in it for many months!

Although it could have been because we just sat deep and tried to hit on the counter.
Perhaps shows that the training since we last played 5 at the back has been shit?

Back