• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Brighton Where's Dave gone? Verdict

How would you feel about Ruddy at Norwich? On a free at the seasons end and Lambert rates him.

He's not been great for a few seasons now and norwich fans won't be unhappy for him to move on - but he's a mile better than ikeme, and might just need a fresh start. I'd take him on a free.

He's not been great for a few seasons now and norwich fans won't be unhappy for him to move on - but he's a mile better than ikeme, and might just need a fresh start. I'd take him on a free.

Prone to the odd clanger but more vocal than either of our 2 so I would take him. I would also take Shackell, Friend, Martin, Wes Hoolahan may be worth a look, enquire about Sako if Costa goes,

Take Weimann permanently and there you have a shed load of experience and it won't cost the earth or break the bank on wages.

Ruddy

Iorfa Shackell Hause Friend

Saiss Evans

Marshall hoolahan cavallero

Martin

Sub's
Ikeme Edwards Sako Dicko Weimann Williamson Mgw Ronan Coady,zyro Graham

That's not a bad line up. A big improvement on the current one, in line wityh Lambert's thinking and with players he knows
Coady is a utility sub.

I think 3 or 4 could be enough to challenge for outright promotion............provided its the right signings

I think the only way we could get away with 4 is if we move to 3-4-3 Chelsea style.

--------------GK--------------

-----Iorfa---Saiss----Hause---

Marshall--CM--- Ronan --------WB

-------Graham------Cav-----------

----------------STR------------------

That is assuming we lose Costa and Ronan comes back to play the Kante role. It would take a monumental feat of coaching from our inadequate backroom team.

Being positive if we get Mendes on the case to replace Costa and then get in 4 top quality players (LB, CM, STR, GK) then we may stand a half a chance of the play-offs next season. If we start next season with Batth, Coady, Doherty, Edwards, Evans and Bod you can forget any progress, Lambert will lose his job in November and Thelwell will continue to pull the wool over Jeff's eyes.

Hause
Ronan
Costa (if he stays)
Cavaleiro
Marshall
Weimann (as a striker)

You can build around those. Graham and Zyro too if they come back strongly. Iorfa if he can get back to his best (needs to happen soon, mind). Gibbs-White, Wilson, Ennis, Herc and Johnson might have a part to play but they are still developing. I don't subscribe to the ham fisted theory of sending players out on loan en masse as if that solves anything but Bright genuinely does need to go out for at least six months and then he might have something to offer.

The rest are at absolute best, squad players and not even integral ones - you could tolerate having Edwards around for his attitude for instance, you could accept that Coady has a year left on his deal, we won't be able to sell him and he'll be ok as a second or third choice right back that we use when absolutely necessary. Fine, but you don't want either starting much more than 10 games. They're automatic choices right now. When you go right through the team and in practically every area - other than out wide when everyone's fit - there are glaring weaknesses and players that have no business even being at a club like this then it underlines the scale of what needs to be done. Even promotion winning teams occasionally carry the odd weak link because they fit their system. We have tons of weak links who don't fit anything.

I seem to post this kind of list a lot, but at present I wouldn't lose any sleep at all if all of the following went in the summer, I've got very little time for most of them and the odd exception such as Silvio - who if he'd stayed fit and we'd actually used him, might have been ok - are just collateral damage because we genuinely do need to more or less start again:

Saville, Silvio, Deslandes, Randall, Upton, Rainey, Hayden, O'Hanlon, Reid, Simpson, Williamson, Borthwick-Jackson, Stearman, Nazon, Wallace, Coady, Price, Henry, Collins, Lonergan, Doherty, Mason, Bodvarsson, Gladon, Edwards, Oniangue, Saiss, Batth, Ikeme, Ebanks-Landell, Dicko, Evans.

THIRTY TWO players there and hardly any of them are anything like fit for purpose for a top six side. Now of course you're not going to get rid of all of them; you can only sell what people will buy for a start. And ok, it includes a fair few kids who've never really got near a first team spot for us. But still. If you need an illustration of the scale of the task at hand this summer, run through that list yourself and try to convince yourself that we might be alright if any of them play 30+ games next season. Good luck with that one.

agree with most of that, we do have a lot of deadwood don't we?

I can only hope the owners see how bad Doherty, Edwards, Batth and coady are and make sure they aren't anywhere near a first 11 next year. What I actually think will happen is those guys will still play and the new players will be brought in around them and then they'll wonder why we're still in the same position next season.

I'm amazed that us as fans can see the blatant deficiencies in the likes of Doherty and Edwards but numerous managers and local media outlets don't.

I'm amazed that us as fans can see the blatant deficiencies in the likes of Doherty and Edwards but numerous managers and local media outlets don't.

I think this is a case of those internally are convinced they are doing everything right even though the facts say they aren't.

When Costa and Cav play together we are enough of a threats to compensate for our woeful defence and central midfield. When the don't both start we tend to lose. Funny that. Our only premier quality players as a starting pair and we are a threat. We now need to sign a number of similar calibre throughout the squad.

its so simple really. most supporters can see this as the answer, but PL continually says and praises the likes of Coady, Batth, Doherty & Edwards so it does make you wonder wtf is going to happen

I think this is a case of those internally are convinced they are doing everything right even though the facts say they aren't.

I think this is spot on. I can't see anything changing unfortunately.

Hause
Ronan
Costa (if he stays)
Cavaleiro
Marshall
Weimann (as a striker)

You can build around those. Graham and Zyro too if they come back strongly. Iorfa if he can get back to his best (needs to happen soon, mind). Gibbs-White, Wilson, Ennis, Herc and Johnson might have a part to play but they are still developing. I don't subscribe to the ham fisted theory of sending players out on loan en masse as if that solves anything but Bright genuinely does need to go out for at least six months and then he might have something to offer.

The rest are at absolute best, squad players and not even integral ones - you could tolerate having Edwards around for his attitude for instance, you could accept that Coady has a year left on his deal, we won't be able to sell him and he'll be ok as a second or third choice right back that we use when absolutely necessary. Fine, but you don't want either starting much more than 10 games. They're automatic choices right now. When you go right through the team and in practically every area - other than out wide when everyone's fit - there are glaring weaknesses and players that have no business even being at a club like this then it underlines the scale of what needs to be done. Even promotion winning teams occasionally carry the odd weak link because they fit their system. We have tons of weak links who don't fit anything.

I seem to post this kind of list a lot, but at present I wouldn't lose any sleep at all if all of the following went in the summer, I've got very little time for most of them and the odd exception such as Silvio - who if he'd stayed fit and we'd actually used him, might have been ok - are just collateral damage because we genuinely do need to more or less start again:

Saville, Silvio, Deslandes, Randall, Upton, Rainey, Hayden, O'Hanlon, Reid, Simpson, Williamson, Borthwick-Jackson, Stearman, Nazon, Wallace, Coady, Price, Henry, Collins, Lonergan, Doherty, Mason, Bodvarsson, Gladon, Edwards, Oniangue, Saiss, Batth, Ikeme, Ebanks-Landell, Dicko, Evans.

THIRTY TWO players there and hardly any of them are anything like fit for purpose for a top six side. Now of course you're not going to get rid of all of them; you can only sell what people will buy for a start. And ok, it includes a fair few kids who've never really got near a first team spot for us. But still. If you need an illustration of the scale of the task at hand this summer, run through that list yourself and try to convince yourself that we might be alright if any of them play 30+ games next season. Good luck with that one.

Seeing it all laid out like that is absolutely shocking.

DW post does make for some grim reading when you see all those players laid out in front of you.
Realistically the best we could hope for next season is an outside push for the top 6 at best.
Then there's Lambert himself I'm not saying he should be removed at all but I'm still not convinced, I'd be controversial enough to say he's lucky he's had player like Costa at his disposal.

I'd be interested to see Marshall at RB before the season is up.

What I'd give to have Bruno and Pocognoli rather than our shitehawks.

-------------Burgoyne--------------

Marshall---Johnson---Hause----Breslin

----------Herc----Gibbs-White--------

----Zyro------Cavaleiro------Costa-----

--------------Wilson---------------------

You could send that out against Leeds and Blackburn as far as I'm concerned. At least we might learn something. I don't need to watch Andy Lonergan again to know that he's got hands like Jesus on Good Friday and I've had my fill of watching Bodvarsson clatter around like a Sigurdarson impersonator. I had as much impact on yesterday's game in the opening 25 minutes as Edwards did.

As mentioned in my blog (and I've mentioned it far more times than I care to mention), our full backs are horrific and I cannot understand how we've let that situation fester. You wouldn't accept that state of affairs from a penniless League Two team. To reiterate: a shit central midfielder and the worst right back in the division playing on the left even though he has less of a left foot than Douglas Bader.

I think the fans would totally understand if we got smashed playing DW's team at least it is an experiment, I can't forgive that performance last night especially as we all know (and have known for a long time) how bad some of our squad is.

Only change for me would be Graham instead of Zyro and Costa on the right, sadly next game Doc, Edwards and co will be in again.

Its a massive summer for Lambert, he cant surely think we can mount a serious challenge for promotion with those players??

I'm not too concerned with Doherty being in the squad next season. He's been dropped before despite their being no other LB available (seemingly) and Lambert has stressed he needs 'competition' there. I think he'll be a squad player at best which might still be too involved for some but we're crying out for proper full backs.

A bit more concerned about the role Edwards will have though.

Nice write up Deutschy. IMO Absolutely spot on in regard to the comparison with Brighton and what it takes. The foundation and minimal requirement being at least a capable, well organised and focused defence. Our best players all appear to be wide players with shoehorns in most other places and despite numerous permutations that central midfield is barely functional let alone expressive. As for Saiss I'm not sure we can accommodate him higher up the pitch unless he somehow fits into that troublesome number ten position they can't seem to fill, as you'd need at least two behind him to protect our crap defence. I thought the movement and speed of thought in front of him yesterday was extremely poor, but he did appear to me the only player who looked for the ball and wanted to get us going.

I'd be interested to see Marshall at RB before the season is up.

What I'd give to have Bruno and Pocognoli rather than our shitehawks.

Isn't it something that we want a 36 year old Bruno over any of our own current options. Guys 37 in 4 months.

If Costa is gonna be sold in the summer, as been suggested, will we see him in a wolves shirt again ?
still not convinced with Lambert ,so frustrating that he keeps picking the same dross for the nucleus of the team , the season is dead
give the youngsters some serious game time and learn something for next season .

Tim spiers match ratings - Edwards, lonergan, saiss and cav all 5... coady, batth and weimann were 6...

Back