• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Brighton Where's Dave gone? Verdict

I hope you don't mind a Brighton fan throwing in my tuppence worth. Interesting to read the thread and the blog to see how you compare the two sides right now.

To be honest, if you'd offered me a point before the game I'd have taken it. You've had some good results recently and Molineux always feels like a difficult trip. And, in the first 10 minutes or so you could see the intensity and energy that Lambert wants you to play with. Maybe if Costa had been playing it might have been different.

We always play 442 and the way to beat us is 4231 if the guy in the hole is a quality player. We got absolutely stuffed away at Huddersfield with that bloke Izzy Brown running the show from just behind the striker. But yesterday, even though you were set up that way, there wasn't anyone able in that position. And Bodvarson on his own doesn't ever look like making anything happen. Cavaleiro and Marshall both looked tidy though. I thought Saiss, who's obviously decent, kept giving the ball away because he was trying to find the killer pass to compensate for the lack of quality up front.

The perception that we're 'just' highly organised doesn't do us justice. That's more or less what we were last season and it wasn't quite enough as we found out to our cost. This season we've gone up a gear because Hughton has made sure we've got two quality players for every single position. So yesterday Kayal, last year's player of the season, wasn't even on the bench because he was due a rest an Sidwell is just as good. Same at centre-back: last year Goldson was excellent playing alongside Dunk but Hughton went out and bought Duffy who's more physically commanding and so we got an upgrade on what was already a strong squad.

So what all of that tells me is that getting out of the Championship is at least a two-year process. We're lucky we've had stability, investment, an exceptional manager and tremendous team spirit - it's needed all of those to get us to this point. Who knows how we'll do in the Premier League? We could be another Middlesbrough in 12 months time. So we just have to enjoy this outstanding season while we can - it happens about once every 40 years if you're a Brighton fan.

Anyway, good luck for what comes next. At least you've got a manager who's very like Hughton - experienced and won promotion from the league before. No doubt he can do it again if given time.

I'd love to know what Lonergan did to earn those five marks as he made a grand total of 0 saves.

Britney:

Made a couple of good saves but he doesn't inspire confidence.

Could you describe these saves please Mr Tim? As Brighton had two shots on target and won 2-0.

#fakenews

He probably thinks the looping one that hit the bar was a save. #poorbritney

Indeed. Bruno spent the rest of the game trying to convince the ref it was a corner even when the final whistle went.

He probably thinks the looping one that hit the bar was a save. #poorbritney

To be fair if that was the header in the first half he did tip it further over the bar than it was going.

I think some people rate on lack of mistakes as a negative, and good contributions as a positive - so someone like Edwards who does neither, bar some backwards passes can stay around the starting mark, whereas someone like saiss who tries to make a positive contribution can make a lot of good forward passes but be marked down for the ones that don't make it.

Problem is, if no one passes forward we're screwed, and then have to resort to the defence lumping it again. It really bothers me.

He has actually given Doherty a bad review which surprises me, he's never done it before to my recollection. However he's trying to make out that it's part of a deterioration in recent form. No Tim, he pretty much always plays like that.

I remember around this time last season he came out with a real pearler, something like "yet to have a poor game since he moved to LB". Having seen him play there vs Reading, Cardiff and Preston (just to name three) I would very much beg to differ. He did ok (no more) after we brought Helan in to hold his hand. Whoever plays on the left has to do it now, Marshall spends loads of his time covering him.

Same as the one 3 posts above.

He has actually given Doherty a bad review which surprises me, he's never done it before to my recollection. However he's trying to make out that it's part of a deterioration in recent form. No Tim, he pretty much always plays like that.

I remember around this time last season he came out with a real pearler, something like "yet to have a poor game since he moved to LB". Having seen him play there vs Reading, Cardiff and Preston (just to name three) I would very much beg to differ. He did ok (no more) after we brought Helan in to hold his hand. Whoever plays on the left has to do it now, Marshall spends loads of his time covering him.

Marshall showed enough to suggest he could play as a full back.

May as well play him at left back and put MGW in front of him

Surely we could find a decent keeper, whether as number 1 or back up to Ikeme, either on loan or very cheap, there must be some who are good enough currently not getting a game

Back