• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-4 Burnley: Verdict Thread

Feel sorry for anyone who had to sit through that.

Feeling sorry for myself that I will probably catch up on it tomorrow morning.

I know we have little to play for but that’s such a troubling result and performance. More like that and it puts even more pressure on the summer than already is. Worrying.

I know we have little to play for but that’s such a troubling result and performance. More like that and it puts even more pressure on the summer than already is. Worrying.
Not as sorry as you'll feel after you watched it!

Agree with this it’s not a case of just returning in August and everything will be ok.
Current performance levels would definitely mean it would be touch and go whether we stay up, big summer ahead.

Agree with this it’s not a case of just returning in August and everything will be ok.
Current performance levels would definitely mean it would be touch and go whether we stay up, big summer ahead.
Yeah a big summer, and as many have said - no guarantee we get everything right

Well think thats the first time I've baled out of a match early, just couldn't face the second half. Thought we were in control up till their first goal, Boly had a mare for half an hour. Once we went behind it got worse, so many really poor individual errors. Burnley played ok but didn't seem to have to do much to put us under pressure.
I know Nuno has his own way of doing things but would have thought a massive bollocking and all the subs made at half time was minimum requirement.
could have accepted if we had been trying a different style and some of the youngsters but this was probably the best team we could put out.
He's got a lot of work to do by the start of next season.

Like many watched for the first half then decided that I had better things to do so went and started preparing the ingredients for a beef stroganoff I will be doing later (will be more fulfilling than staying onboard with the match).

A half arsed attempt to play from us - if I was there I would never walk out however bad it had got, but on TV it's easier to push the button.

We are safe (and maybe the players feel that) as Fulham & WBA have to win every game & us lose every one & that's not going to happen.

Some serious thinking needs to occur over the next couple of months as to where we go from here. Didn't go on the matchday thread which will have been a good decision (& I haven't read it but suspect that I can guess as to the mood).

I don’t think any poster is a prick. You all have valid opinions. I don’t agree, however with some of the defence of both the tactics and the performance levels of Wolves this season. This is not the 2011 squad of hopeful wannabees. This is a first 11 made up of internationals all earning the country’s average annual wage each month as an absolute minimum and several on 50 k a week or more. Today’s offering was an embarrassing capitulation to a bottom 4 side. Wood still would be a good addition for us and proved it today. Pope had nothing to do bar catch crosses which he did very well. Our front three were awful. Fabio was poor. Our crossing was terrible. Our set plays were awful including throw ins which were turned over almost every time.
4 years ago Fosun stated their intentions. They backed Nuno and they backed Mendes to support him. They will not tolerate failure and this season has been one. The only good point is we didn’t go down. We lost to a lower division team in the carabao , threw away the FA cup and struggled in the league . Our home results are pretty abysmal for an ambitious team losing to 2 of the bottom 4 at home.
It’s a big summer for Nuno for Fosun for Mendes and for Wolves. Bugger it up and it’s championship rather than champions league . Now I can hear the usual howls of derision that it is an over reaction but that squad has under achieved this year . No two ways about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think any poster is a prick. You all have valid opinions. I don’t agree, however with some of the defence of both the tactics and the performance levels of Wolves this season. This is not the 2011 squad of hopeful wannabees. This is a first 11 made up of internationals all earning the country’s average annual wage each month as an absolute minimum and several on 50 k a week or more. Today’s offering was an embarrassing capitulation to a bottom 4 side. Wood still would be a good addition for us and proved it today. Pope had nothing to do bar catch crosses which he did very well. Our front three were awful. Fabio was poor. Our crossing was terrible. Our set plays were awful including throw ins which were turned over almost every time.
4 years ago Fosun stated their intentions. They backed Nuno and they backed Mendes to support him. They will not tolerate failure and this season has been one. The only good point is we didn’t go down. We lost to a lower division team in the carabao , threw away the FA cup and struggled in the league . Our home re it’s is abysmal for an ambitious team losing to 2 of the bottom 4 at home.
It’s a big summer for Nuno for Fosun for Mendes and for Wolves. Bugger it up and it’s championship rather than champions league . Now I can hear the usual howls of derision that it is an over reaction but that squad has under achieved this year . No two ways about it.
It's an overreaction because what you describe isn't happening.

We aren't anywhere near relegation with this squad of players and manager.

It's regression not failure and all teams have bad years. It's what you do with it after that, there must be change, whether that's players, coaches, manager or style but something must or we will be in for more of the same next season and nobody wants to see us humped 4-0 by Burnley, West Ham and Liverpool in the same season again.

Yeah a big summer, and as many have said - no guarantee we get everything right

A lot to put right in terms of squad balance and forging a new identity on the pitch.

It seems right now like we've really thrown the baby out with the bathwater with our decision-making since the end of last season. Where we were once slowly building and improving from the time Nuno took over, it now seems almost like a rebuild is needed. That brings a lot of uncertainty with it

It's regression not failure and all teams have bad years. It's what you do with it after that, there must be change, whether that's players, coaches, manager or style but something must or we will be in for more of the same next season and nobody wants to see us humped 4-0 by Burnley, West Ham and Liverpool in the same season again.

Sorry. We didn’t go out of the cup to Stoke , we didn’t give Southampton the FA cup tie and we haven’t struggled in the league. My mistake.
let us see what more of the same next season brings us then.

I think you are being far too kind on this squad. They haven’t reached anywhere near their best this season having probably over achieved for the previous two.

I wonder if we over achieved in the first two seasons and now we're regressing to our proper position.

Squad wages for example have us probably in the bottom third of all PL teams. Should we realistically be expecting top half / Europe without paying the wages (quality of player?) to achieve it?

Yeah, and let’s sack the manager who has enabled our squad to over achieve.

Sorry. We didn’t go out of the cup to Stoke , we didn’t give Southampton the FA cup tie and we haven’t struggled in the league. My mistake.
let us see what more of the same next season brings us then.
If we do more of the same we're unlikely to be relegated are we?

Especially as we're currently 12th and have our best forward on his way back.

The trouble is, Nuno seems happy with the previous games because we won despite the fact we were awful to watch. Today will be seen as an outlier but anyone who’s watched both teams recently could have seen it coming. If we start next season like this we’ll be in a relegation fight make no mistake.

I don't think relegation is in my mind at all really for next season. We've dropped five places in the league, not ten.

Having said that, no club like us is a million miles away from getting dragged in. We hardly have deep, longstanding PL roots

If we do more of the same we're unlikely to be relegated are we?

Especially as we're currently 12th and have our best forward on his way back.
If we do the same next season will go down. We have been a bit lucky at times with results this season. Leeds Fulham and Sheffield are 18 points when we could have got 9 or less. Yes we have had some bad luck but Brighton look better than us most weeks and they are close to the bottom.
The expectation of Wolves fans is different in 2021 than 10 years ago. We have been fortunate that there are three or four very poor sides in this league. There won’t be next season. Norwich have even learnt how to defend and Watford beat us when they went down.
I maintain we play like this in 2022 we are in trouble

If we do the same next season will go down. We have been a bit lucky at times with results this season. Leeds Fulham and Sheffield are 18 points when we could have got 9 or less. Yes we have had some bad luck but Brighton look better than us most weeks and they are close to the bottom.
The expectation of Wolves fans is different in 2021 than 10 years ago. We have been fortunate that there are three or four very poor sides in this league. There won’t be next season. Norwich have even learnt how to defend and Watford beat us when they went down.
I maintain we play like this in 2022 we are in trouble
If we do more of the same we will finish in the same place, how hard is that to understand?

Has this squad overachieved though or is the current level under achieving?
Wages paid, over more than one season, are the best indicator of expected league position by far. Even more than xG 🤯

I wonder if we over achieved in the first two seasons and now we're regressing to our proper position.

Squad wages for example have us probably in the bottom third of all PL teams. Should we realistically be expecting top half / Europe without paying the wages (quality of player?) to achieve it?
We didn't over achieve we achieved the maximum realistically achievable with the players we had in a formation that protected the weaknesses of some of them. What we've seen this season I think initially was an acknowledgement that 7th was thr highwatermark with that squad, playing that way and therefore an attempt to be more attacking and flexing the style of play either by amending the formation or trying to press higher up the pitch. That largely has had as negative an impact defensively as it's been positive offensively, so we went back to basics and dug some results out. I don't think we are any closer to being able to comfortably play that way now than we have been at any other point

The word for this season is passive and it concerns me for next year. It's stale, new senior players are needed to freshen it up.

Back