• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-4 Burnley: Verdict Thread

I don't think relegation is in my mind at all really for next season. We've dropped five places in the league, not ten.

Having said that, no club like us is a million miles away from getting dragged in. We hardly have deep, longstanding PL roots
If you look at the two first 11 starters it’s 7 3 in our favour with Pope and Patricio called even
That 11 should never lose 4 0 to Burnley

If we do more of the same we will finish in the same place, how hard is that to understand?
We won’t . If you do what you’ve always done you’ll get what you always got doesn’t work in Football . See Sheffield

Two things to address - overall I feel we have overachieved. Our system was built on robust defensive system that allowed us to soak out and counter, we had forwards/attackers who could win shorthanded. The issue is now we are missing those forwards, and this has exposed that the defence was no doubt over achieving.

Can we get that back or can we transition is the big quesiton.

Point two - Burnley have taken more points from us since our return to the prem than Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd have, as long as it was correct what I looked up earlier.

Last edited:
That changed my mind re Nuno.. come and get him Spurs.. take Pod & Donk with him

We won’t . If you do what you’ve always done you’ll get what you always got doesn’t work in Football . See Sheffield
Sheffield United weren't the same though and didn't play the same which is why they ended up bottom.

Had they done the same they wouldn't.

We won't be the same next season, we will be better, not least because we have Raul back and will buy new players (this has never not happened under Nuno in any transfer window).

Sheffield United weren't the same though and didn't play the same which is why they ended up bottom.

Had they done the same they wouldn't.

We won't be the same next season, we will be better, not least because we have Raul back and will buy new players (this has never not happened under Nuno in any transfer window).
I hope so old mucka .

The trouble is, Nuno seems happy with the previous games because we won despite the fact we were awful to watch. Today will be seen as an outlier but anyone who’s watched both teams recently could have seen it coming. If we start next season like this we’ll be in a relegation fight make no mistake.
In fairness, given our performances, perhaps it was reasonable to be happy with the points carrying us further from relegation worry, because to the eye we certainly look relegatable.
All that said, I’m finding myself firmly in the keep Nuno camp. For me, he’s got eight matches next season to prove he’s broken us out of this.

In fairness, given our performances, perhaps it was reasonable to be happy with the points carrying us further from relegation worry, because to the eye we certainly look relegatable.
All that said, I’m finding myself firmly in the keep Nuno camp. For me, he’s got eight matches next season to prove he’s broken us out of this.
Only if we recruit well. Two or three additions and a positive Nuno and it’s a different picture
But..........

Other than a couple of reactionary posters, I don't think there is a sack Nuno camp, at least not on here and he'll get those 8 games and hopefully many more. I do think he'd be in trouble if hypothetically we were bottom 6 after them though

Has this squad overachieved though or is the current level under achieving?
No, the job Nuno and the squad have done in the previous 3 years has been fantastic and deserved. With a bit of luck (or lack of Mike Dean) we would have been top six last season and fairly so.

we’ve just massively dropped off, for so many different reasons where we have got things wrong. There’s a chance to put that right

Think the 8 games idea is nonsense - you either back him and give him time, or get someone else in with their own recruits.

Maybe I'm a pint half empty but we have got a lot of our points from very close games that could have gone either way. As things stand I would have no confidence we would do the double over Arsenal and Leeds again so doing the same next season won't automatically mean we're mid-table again. I can think of lots of games where we got more points than our performance deserved, but not many where we performed well and didn't get points.

Nothing stands still, players get older and perform less consistently like Boly today. Our tactics are now well understood by opponents and we need young players to step up a level and we desperately need a couple of first-team-ready players adding. Finishing 7th feels a long way away and this summer's transfers are the most critical yet under Nuno. Get it right and we could progress, get it wrong and we will struggle.

Think the 8 games idea is nonsense - you either back him and give him time, or get someone else in with their own recruits.
Agreed. We'll back him unless we have a number of performances like today's before the end of the season. Lose like today at Albion and in a couple of other games and I think Nuno may walk.

If we lose the bcd and get doubled by WBA then Nuno is under serious pressure. Not hyperbole, not over reaction just fact. You don’t lose to your relegated rival twice and not have consequences.

Coming in off a long run-up here...

Normally I try to defend even a bad performance against the more vitriolic (and often hysterical) responses because all too often it's knee-jerk, heat of the moment stuff. I can't do that here, that was every bit as bad as anyone could possibly suggest. And it's not even the result - we don't have a good record against these, we have nothing to play for whereas as they do/did, every time we get a player back we seem to lose another one - but it's the manner of it. You simply can't play like that. You certainly can't defend like that. No excuses at all, so much of that you wouldn't have off a parks team, and in terms of attitude we resembled some of the worst of our 1990s teams. No guile, playing as if we'd just had our Sunday lunch five minutes before kick off. Appalling.

It's not just the players either. Where was the response to the goals going in? Where was it after half time? Why did we change nothing in terms of style or personnel for ages when it obviously hadn't worked at all? Where was the plan, full stop? That's pretty much all on the manager, he gets paid to sort that out. You can't blame circumstances forever.

Rui: No chance at all with any of the goals (absolutely sawn off on a couple of them by the fuckwits in front of him) and made a couple of decent enough stops.

Saiss: Oh dear. He's frequently looked a bit of a square peg in a round hole on the right hand side but today was the nadir of that. Lax in possession all afternoon, ran ragged down the channels, caught pissing around on the ball for the fourth. That was atrocious.

Coady: We know he can look vulnerable being ran at one on one. I don't expect that to happen against Chris Wood! For all his qualities (and he's a good striker), he should not be running past anyone. Done like an absolute kipper on the first and it nearly happened again in the second half. A serious weakness in his game that doesn't look like ever being fixed. Couldn't rouse those around him to do any better which you'd think is part of his job as a leader on the field. The way he kept turning his back on the ball reminded me of Simon Coleman at Oxford and I never want to be reminded of that.

Boly: For 10 minutes or so, we looked vaguely competent. Passing it around competently enough and at least pushing on to Burnley. Then Willy sets the tone with an inexplicable header back that he had to rescue himself (good tackle tbf but a shocking error in the first place). Then not two minutes later...just misses a header from a floaty long ball that any centre half should be dealing with in their sleep. It didn't improve from there. Shaky all the way through, got lucky on the offside goal as a) I don't think he meant to play Vydra off and b) it was pretty tight. Worst game in a Wolves shirt, as part of his worst season in a Wolves shirt.

Semedo: By no means did he have a good game but how much could you directly attribute to him, without watching them back (I'm not ready for that kind of trauma just yet) I don't think any of the goals were primarily his fault. Before we totally lost the plot around 30 minutes in, he was at least trying to get forward even if there was a typical lack of any kind of threat from his deliveries. You expect much, much better from someone who cost that much though.

Ait-Nouri: Probably our best player on the day, this isn't saying much though. Was never going to be overly tested by Brownhill on that side in terms of being ran at and did at least drive forward a couple of times. Delivery is still fairly non-existent though and set pieces are nothing like being fit for purpose as it stands, catching practice for Pope.

Neves: Hardly trained (if at all) for a fortnight and it showed. Obviously wouldn't have played if Moutinho were available, arguably still shouldn't have. Free kicks have totally gone to pot.

Dendoncker: Ideally I'd not see him again now in the remaining games. It's been mainly down to circumstance that he's played so often - as I say, we keep losing a player all the time so we use him to plug the gap - but he's had a shocking season. Stopping nothing defensively at the moment, passing is either slack or conservative to the point he makes David Davis look like Luka Modric, and while before he was getting into the box and missing easy chances, now he isn't even trying so zero threat there. Waste of a shirt at the moment. I know he *can* play some kind of squad role because I've seen him do it, but this has been a disaster of a campaign. Exemplified by him completely bottling a challenge that he was strong favourite to win. Fuck off with that.

Podence: Struggling to even make five yard passes at the moment, can't run as it stands, having little to no impact on games, pulls out of challenges regularly and some ridiculous playacting that I won't have off anyone. Shouldn't be playing. So don't play him.

Adama: Continued his recent good record of creating a goal. Seriously, what in the blue fucking hell was that pass about?! Dreadful, dreadful stuff. Could have been sent off needlessly on another day - whatever you think about Cork telling teacher, don't raise your hands. Barely ran at them. Didn't have a shot. Crossing was truly atrocious, so bad it beggars belief. The worst I have ever seen him play and I have seen him have plenty of shit, shit games before. 0/10, awful.

José: After some moderate (and I mean moderate) improvements lately, this was back to normal. Slow. Idle. Makes no runs or shit runs where he can't receive it. Shite touch. Often doesn't even try to win the ball in the air. Plays his part in giving away the corner then doesn't even try to defend, leaving a free header - unforgiveable. No serious efforts on goal. Could wear his shirt tomorrow if he wanted as there won't be a bead of sweat on it. A fucking woeful footballer. Go away.

Subs: No point rating them as the game was gone and none of them did anything.

Play like that next week and we'll take another beating. Play like that against Walsall and they'd do us over.

Not happy. You cannot ever perform like that.

Last edited:
The plus side was I bet Wood to score and Burnley to win.
2/5 ? Good odds if so!:)
Other than a couple of reactionary posters, I don't think there is a sack Nuno camp, at least not on here and he'll get those 8 games and hopefully many more. I do think he'd be in trouble if hypothetically we were bottom 6 after them though
My view on Nuno is that he would be in a better place with a proper family life. When your family is 1000s of miles away your life is odd. Mourinho did a similar thing & it is not healthy for the individual. Nuno seemed far happier in his earliest times with Wolves when it was all novel.

Normally I try to defend even a bad performance against the more vitriolic (and often hysterical) responses because all too often it's knee-jerk, heat of the moment stuff. I can't do that here, that was every bit as bad as anyone could possibly suggest. And it's not even the result - we don't have a good record against these, we have nothing to play for whereas as they do/did, every time we get a player back we seem to lose another one - but it's the manner of it. You simply can't play like that. You certainly can't defend like that. No excuses at all, so much of that you wouldn't have off a parks team, and in terms of attitude we resembled some of the worst of our 1990s teams. No guile, playing as if we'd just had our Sunday lunch five minutes before kick off. Appalling.

It's not just the players either. Where was the response to the goals going in? Where was it after half time? Why did we change nothing in terms of style or personnel for ages when it obviously hadn't worked at all? Where was the plan, full stop? That's pretty much all on the manager, he gets paid to sort that out. You can't blame circumstances forever.

Rui: No chance at all with any of the goals (absolutely sawn off on a couple of them by the fuckwits in front of him) and made a couple of decent enough stops.

Saiss: Oh dear. He's frequently looked a bit of a square peg in a round hole on the right hand side but today was the nadir of that. Lax in possession all afternoon, ran ragged down the channels, caught pissing around on the ball for the fourth. That was atrocious.

Coady: We know he can look vulnerable being ran at one on one. I don't expect that to happen against Chris Wood! For all his qualities (and he's a good striker), he should not be running past anyone. Done like an absolute kipper on the first and it nearly happened again in the second half. A serious weakness in his game that doesn't look like ever being fixed. Couldn't rouse those around him to do any better which you'd think is part of his job as a leader on the field. The way he kept turning his back on the ball reminded me of Simon Coleman at Oxford and I never want to be reminded of that.

Boly: For 10 minutes or so, we looked vaguely competent. Passing it around competently enough and at least pushing on to Burnley. Then Willy sets the tone with an inexplicable header back that he had to rescue himself (good tackle tbf but a shocking error in the first place). Then not two minutes later...just misses a header from a floaty long ball that any centre half should be dealing with in their sleep. It didn't improve from there. Shaky all the way through, got lucky on the offside goal as a) I don't think he meant to play Vydra off and b) it was pretty tight. Worst game in a Wolves shirt, as part of his worst season in a Wolves shirt.

Semedo: By no means did he have a good game but how much could you directly attribute to him, without watching them back (I'm not ready for that kind of trauma just yet) I don't think any of the goals were primarily his fault. Before we totally lost the plot around 30 minutes in, he was at least trying to get forward even if there was a typical lack of any kind of threat from his deliveries. You expect much, much better from someone who cost that much though.

Ait-Nouri: Probably our best player on the day, this isn't saying much though. Was never going to be overly tested by Brownhill on that side in terms of being ran at and did at least drive forward a couple of times. Delivery is still fairly non-existent though and set pieces are nothing like being fit for purpose as it stands, catching practice for Pope.

Neves: Hardly trained (if at all) for a fortnight and it showed. Obviously wouldn't have played if Moutinho were available, arguably still shouldn't have. Free kicks have totally gone to pot.

Dendoncker: Ideally I'd not see him again now in the remaining games. It's been mainly down to circumstance that he's played so often - as I say, we keep losing a player all the time so we use him to plug the gap - but he's had a shocking season. Stopping nothing defensively at the moment, passing is either slack or conservative to the point he makes David Davis look like Luka Modric, and while before he was getting into the box and missing easy chances, now he isn't even trying so zero threat there. Waste of a shirt at the moment. I know he *can* play some kind of squad role because I've seen him do it, but this has been a disaster of a campaign. Exemplified by him completely bottling a challenge that he was strong favourite to win. Fuck off with that.

Podence: Struggling to even make five yard passes at the moment, can't run as it stands, having little to no impact on games, pulls out of challenges regularly and some ridiculous playacting that I won't have off anyone. Shouldn't be playing. So don't play him.

Adama: Continued his recent good record of creating a goal. Seriously, what in the blue fucking hell was that pass about?! Dreadful, dreadful stuff. Could have been sent off needlessly on another day - whatever you think about Cork telling teacher, don't raise your hands. Barely ran at them. Didn't have a shot. Crossing was truly atrocious, so bad it beggars belief. The worst I have ever seen him play and I have seen him have plenty of shit, shit games before. 0/10, awful.

José: After some moderate (and I mean moderate) improvements lately, this was back to normal. Slow. Idle. Makes no runs or shit runs where he can't receive it. Shite touch. Often doesn't even try to win the ball in the air. Plays his part in giving away the corner then doesn't even try to defend, leaving a free header - unforgiveable. No serious efforts on goal. Could wear his shirt tomorrow if he wanted as there won't be a bead of sweat on it. A fucking woeful footballer. Go away.

Play like that next week and we'll take another beating. Play like that against Walsall and they'd do us over.

Only thing I disagree with is the reference to Cork. A lot of players would have made much more of Traore's stupidity and gone down rolling like Princess Podence does. I think Cork actually deserves credit not criticism.

I fucking laughed out loud at that bit in bold...

I agree with most of that. However the fact remains that Pope commands his box & we have a keeper stuck to his goal line. The positioning of Rui for the first goal was abysmal but Wood hit it very hard & might still have scored anyway even with good positioning. Their 3rd goal saw Rui doing nothing to stop himself being marooned - but that is also down to the defenders. Traore had a bad game but I still do not know why he is defending when if he was near the halfway line Burnley would not dare leave him unmarked. We just invite pressure. The only time we looked like scoring was when RAN or Traore ran at Burnley.

It’s a very worrisome time for next season pretty sure other fans of other clubs are saying similar stuff.
Things simply cannot continue at this level, as I said earlier if this carries over into next season we’ll be touch and go with staying up.
Mad to think that way considering how far we’ve come.
If something similar happens next Monday I think that’ll be the point at which the majority will turn.
The BCD shouldn’t define any manager but lose them badly then it pisses a lot of people off.
Reality is I don’t think we’ll win again this season.

Back