• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Forest - Verdict Thread

Jinky

Head Brownie
Reaction score
One of those days. Fair play to Nuno for changing things around and having a go in the second half but Forest did a real job on us today so fair play to them.

Without wanting to be accused of "pant-wetting", several things worried me today - Costa's performance after he came on, the lack of cutting edge chances (well actually, any chance at all) created, even with Mir, Bonatini, Jota, Costa, Cav & others on the field we could still be playing now and wouldn't look like scoring, the way Saiss faded, the way some of our big name players dropped their heads after we went behind, the fact the simple things - like passing to a player 5 yards away, were made to look difficult... but this group of players and the management have earned our trust and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see us bounce back like we did after losing to Cardiff earlier in the season.

We are still 9 points clear - but I feel we are in the middle of a very important period of the season for Nuno (probably his most challenging period since taking over) because we've not quite been 'on it' for a number of weeks now. The goals and chances have dried up, and it's ok to lob as many attacking players on the pitch at once if we're behind but they still need to find a way of breaking teams down.

Perhaps a couple of new players will be brought in before the window closes now. I'm not crying out for signings and wholesale changes, but a few players have looked leggy recently (Douglas, Doherty, Saiss, Bonatini) so it would be good to have a few more options.

Unfortunately so much of our play goes through Leo and when he's having a bad day he's, well, bad. Obviously haven't seen the match today but from the sounds of it he had a mare, and that really kills our fluidity going forward.

I'm much less concerned over the goals we conceded as they seemed incredibly out of character for us.

Don't think you're pant-wetting at all, Jinks. At halftime I thought maybe you were a bit OTT but we threw the kitchen sink and then some at Forest and it didn't work at all. Something isn't going correctly at the moment and we need to figure it out if we want to get back to our best.

Oh, I meant to say I thought MGW was excellent. No issues with him filling in for Neves or Saiss when they inevitably get suspended.

Oh, I meant to say I thought MGW was excellent. No issues with him filling in for Neves or Saiss when they inevitably get suspended.

I'm having MGW in for Jota next game, if I'm Nuno (which I'm not, as someone will no doubt tell me :icon_lol:).

Other teams have had over half a season to work out how they can stop us and some are starting to do so (though doesn't sound like we were at our best today which would have helped) - we do need to find a way to work round that.

No reason to suspect that Nuno won't find an answer - the window is still open & we are still 9 points ahead of anyone else - not wrist cutting time yet

We had a number of players that looked leggy at the end of the game today. I imagine Nuno will manage that this week coming up to freshen us up for Ipswich. Nuno certainly won't be panicking, thankfully.

We had to lose eventually. I understand it's the manner in which we lost today but I'm not sure I follow that this performance is part of a trend. Looking at games in isolation, we had chances to beat Barnsley, and the league game before that was Brentford who we completely blew away.

Was good to get to see more of MGW, he looks like a very intelligent player. I have no worries about him getting more game time if and when Neves/Saiss get suspended.

We need a top striker and a RWB in this window. But I think we already knew that

We had a number of players that looked leggy at the end of the game today. I imagine Nuno will manage that this week coming up to freshen us up for Ipswich. Nuno certainly won't be panicking, thankfully.

We had to lose eventually. I understand it's the manner in which we lost today but I'm not sure I follow that this performance is part of a trend. Looking at games in isolation, we had chances to beat Barnsley, and the league game before that was Brentford who we completely blew away.

Was good to get to see more of MGW, he looks like a very intelligent player. I have no worries about him getting more game time if and when Neves/Saiss get suspended.

I said on Wednesday that I don't think Nuno is the sort to use a "hair dryer" on the players. I think this match may tempt him to change that.

Is this really our first league loss since October? Really puts it in perspective if that's right.

I said on Wednesday that I don't think Nuno is the sort to use a "hair dryer" on the players. I think this match may tempt him to change that.

Is this really our first league loss since October? Really puts it in perspective if that's right.

Yup.

We have bounced back.after Cardiff, Sheff U and QPR we have to.expext Nuno to bounce back again.

We don't seem to be zipping the passes around quickly like during first half of season, it all seems very pedestrian, and keeping slow passing across the back. Whether its fatigue, or the players subconsciously thinking the works done i don't know. A couple of fresh faces will certainly help though. We made it so easy for Forest to contain us today and gave them 2 scrappy goals.

Sounded as if the first goal had a bit of fortune about it - keep it to that & it's still game on

The second killed it (will need to watch the highlights to see what happened there) as it allowed Forest to pack the midfield & make us try to force the game to get something out of it

Caveat: we'll still comfortably win the league, and my pants are dry.

We do look pretty easy to defend against at the moment. Encourage us wide, then make us go outside and cross rather than inside for the 1-2 or shot.

Sounded as if the first goal had a bit of fortune about it - keep it to that & it's still game on

The second killed it (will need to watch the highlights to see what happened there) as it allowed Forest to pack the midfield & make us try to force the game to get something out of it

Pretty much, mate. We weren't playing terribly, just weren't clicking in the final third. Then we had a bit of a mare of a five minutes where they scored a very fortunate goal and then we lost concentration for the second. Both were avoidable however. And I find it very unlikely that we are going to have situations like that many times across the rest of the season, hence why I am really not concerned a great deal.

As much as its bad, try to remember some of our bad performances from last season to add some perspective.

I want to see more of MGW I am sure the game at Swansea did him the world of good, he came straight into the game today and can't be far off pushing for a start if you ask me.

Not worried in the slightest a few signings to freshen things up and 3 points off Mick and all will be rosy.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

The lack of chances is a concern now. Is it 10 games since Bonatini last scored?

costa seems to be getting worse. the front guys don't seem to be getting into spaces through the middle like before.

Vinagre has to start next game for me, we need more pace out wide. We are too easy to defend against at time - long pass to Douglas, who passed back to boly and repeat to doc. Doc can do better, but seemed to have forgotten how to trap the ball today. Bonatini showing his lack of preseason for me - let’s put a massive bid in for Zohore ;)

Vinagre has to start next game for me, we need more pace out wide. We are too easy to defend against at time - long pass to Douglas, who passed back to boly and repeat to doc. Doc can do better, but seemed to have forgotten how to trap the ball today. Bonatini showing his lack of preseason for me - let’s put a massive bid in for Zohore ;)

Has Vinagre completed his ban now?

If he has would use next time

Think so - barnsley, replay and today?

costa seems to be getting worse. the front guys don't seem to be getting into spaces through the middle like before.

Costa was looking ok but his final ball was poor but he didn't really have anyone to aim for. Teams have learned to defend deep and in numbers to nullify us.

Forest may not have parked the bus but they rarely threatened us

Back