• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 Chelsea 2 Proud of the lads verdict

Chelsea forums are an interesting mix of those giving us quite a lot of credit and being happy they got the job done and some epic bellends being a touch offensive.

Chelsea forums are an interesting mix of those giving us quite a lot of credit and being happy they got the job done and some epic bellends being a touch offensive.

quite normal then..

to be fair we have got a lot of praise and that is only right.

I find comments along the lines of "they upped their game, and then second half we yawned and then dealt with them" a bit wide of the mark.

I truly admire this positive Paddy, I will try to get the same spirit from now on, keep it up Pads ..and yeah it was a good game from us, but have you just won the euro billion lottery? :)

No.

I just recognise that even in defeat there is sometimes a good performance.

Just vacuum it and i will heat it carefully..

Haha, why? Aah you mean the airline?

I don't understand some of the negative comments.

A full Molineux. A great atmosphere.
The team did everything they could against the best side in the country.
Standing ovation at the end of the game.

I loved it. I've had a lot of great Molineux days since my first game in 1967 - but this was a really good one.
We were unlucky. No criticism of any of the players. They all were great.

I thought Hause and Price were our stand out players. Why the former can't do that in the league I really don't know. We didn't really deal with their formation, Moses was the best player in the first half and Pedro scored the all important goal. We didn't really pick either of them up all match. I'll be interested to see how the top sides combat it in the CL next year.

Minor irritations, people buying half and half scarves, just fuck off and the lame thunderclap at the end...we lost, a deserved round of applause and that should be it.

Bod so didn't want to do that. Batth pushed him back towards the South Bank.

Agree but the South Bank wanted and the South Bank got.

I don't think he'll be here next season so unless we sign another Icelander (not a good idea given our track record) then its days are probably numbered.

I don't dislike it, I think it's quite good fun after a victory, just not after a defeat irrespective of the opposition or how we played.

Resign the egg ;) only icelander I want is Sigurdsson from swansea.. Maybe also Sigurdsson cb from Fulham..

Think that was a decent performance, competed well for the most part but don't think there was really a great deal to threaten Chelsea. Perhaps if Saville had put away that early chance then it could've played out differently but the away side always looked like they have more to give so that may have just been the prod that riled the bear.

It started promisingly enough with a good early interchange between Coady and Costa gave me hope for some attacking intent but sadly I can only remember one similar sequence of play thereafter involving Price but that sort of fizzled out and ended up wide. Closed Chelsea down pretty well early on too, especially from goal kicks when Wolves showed plenty of ambition to push forward and prevent things being played short. That said it's a bit disappointing they couldn't capitalise on some very uncharacteristic and sloppy mistakes from Chelsea and with time reverted back to a lot of lazy long ball stuff.

As I said on the match thread I'd like to have seen Weimann and Costa swapped over, there's space to attack down the sides of a back three but when Wolves got the ball into those areas the wingers were always needing to check back and it killed the momentum or have Chelsea opportunity to get set. Costa did eventually end up going round the outside a few times but still didn't really produce anything of note in doing so. Makes it all the more frustrating to see this happening over and over when the fullbacks don't deliver with any conviction but are always the ones having the responsibility thrust upon them. I'm sure pretty much any centre half going would rather defend a floaty little in swinging cross when they've have chance to set themselves than try and defend something fired across while they're desperately trying to get back into position.

There were at least plenty of positives on the defensive side. Hause had a very good game I thought, caught in possession once with a sloppy touch and few headers/clearances didn't have the desired distance/direction but can't remember him being beat as such by anyone. Price too covered well in midfield for the most part, few early fouls and poor challenges had me worrying he was in for a long evening but he stepped up considerably. Even more maligned figures like Saville, Edwards, Coady and Doherty did their fare share in defence, even thought Batth was having a good game against Costa until he had the ball into feet a few times twisting poor Danny inside out.

Something did really stand out me today too, Weimann can't judge a high ball for shit. Seems to take him an age to figure out whether he's got to come short or go long and by the time he's made his mind up he's got no chance of getting near it.

Another thing, apologies for the double post but wasn't impressed with the substitutions today.

The first change for Wilson lead to a change to 442 which did nothing to help anyone. Don't think the poor lad even managed to touch the ball in his time on the pitch.

Then the introductions of Ronan and Saiss just seemed to turn the whole thing into a big mess. At first it looked like it had changed to a back 3 with Coady and Doherty as wingbacks but then Costa was still playing very wide which didn't fit in. So I thought perhaps it's Saiss at left back but he's just a bit narrow, Doherty pushed forward to left midfield but again Ronan was playing pretty wide so couldn't make sense of it with that train of thought either.

Couldn't make any sense of it in the end.

Back