• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 Chelsea 2 Proud of the lads verdict

Can't fault many performances really.

Hause was outstanding. I felt Costa realised Batth was the weak link fairly quickly and targeted him. Hause and Willo in the league for me where possible.

Coady...I just...so many times Costa was doubled up on, so he passed it back to Coady, who knocked it straight back to him in the same position. Like, cheers mate I'll just do it myself then shall I?

Price was an absolute terrier in midfield however I thought there were a couple of opportunities to hit Chelsea with quicker balls to runners where he elected to pass sideways instead. Minor nitpicking in the broader context of his fantastic performance though.

I love Bod so much, but he just has no scoring instinct at all. He brings so much to the team, especially in matches like this, but someone has to score the goals.

Hause MOTM for me.

I don't think he'll be here next season so unless we sign another Icelander (not a good idea given our track record) then its days are probably numbered.

What makes you say that. Someone's got to buy him and we spent £2-3m on him.

He is still crap, sorry.
Coady had a good game defensively as he has most weeks. His distribution and crossing in particular are awful though. He'd be a competent full back in a different system, but as Mark says above we put so much emphasis on decent delivery from full backs in the way that we play, which I guess is why we've bought a career winger to play there.

According to WM, Dawson is Albion's player of the season. He's a player who like Coady has been converted into a right back. The difference is, set pieces apart, he is barely expected to go over the half way line. If we set up like that Coady would be a decent right back at this level, but with two holding midfielders we need our full backs to get forward so his limitations are shown up.

Good performance from Wolves and were competitive for over an hour against one of the best teams in Europe. It was brave of Paul Lambert to try and play as open game as possible with his players trying to play on the front foot, be first and win the second ball. I dont see how Wolves could do much more when your facing a team whose players have far more quality on the ball because tiredness eventually sets in and that extra quality finds more space to play and punish you.

I was very disappointed with weiman and Edwards yesterday, I thought thy were pretty anonymous. They both worked quite hard but there was very little going forwards and minimal quality.

I thought hause and price on the other hand were excellent. As others have said, hause should be starting a good number of games before the end of the season to set himself up as our first choice centre back for next season.

I was very disappointed with weiman and Edwards yesterday, I thought thy were pretty anonymous. They both worked quite hard but there was very little going forwards and minimal quality.

I thought hause and price on the other hand were excellent. As others have said, hause should be starting a good number of games before the end of the season to set himself up as our first choice centre back for next season.

Weimann did not stop running and absolutely ran himself in to the ground. He was the first player breaking his neck to get forward whenever we broke up a Chelsea attack. I can't agree with you about him at all.

Equally I have seen a lot of praise for Hause, and whilst I agree he was excellent and should be in our starting 11 whenever fit, he did get sucked under 3-4 long balls towards Costa, leaving Batth in a 1 v 1 situation with him. If he works on his positioning, he'll be a premier league quality centre back.

Price did well. Loved him harrying and tackling Costa in the first half. Something that simple gets the crowd on their feet and it was right in front of the dugouts too. Hopefully PL realises Price and Hause need to be starting our remaining fixtures where possible. Coady is clearly a weak link. Too many percentage lumped balls down the line for me, and whenever he had time to deliver a cross from the edge of the box, his delivery was poor.

It was great to see Molineux rocking. It would be fantastic if it was like that every week - genuinely had chills on the back of my neck at the start. At least Lambert and Fosun have seen it first hand now what it *could* be like if they can sort the team on the pitch out.

As a side note, I was disappointed to see the play acting by the likes of Hazard. You're a world class footballer, you don't need to dive to the ground like you've been shot when Coady's foot brushes you.

I think in many respects one links to another because Weiman and Edwards are both in the team for their end product while at the same time neither offer themselves to midfield build up play. So they are both themselves reliant to the quality of ball played into the box usually from Conor Coady. When that quality is poor both Weiman and Edwards become ineffective.

Coady trod on the top of his foot. Not surprising it hurt given the flimsy boots these days.

A very enjoyable contest and the Wolves players played out of their skin, matching Chelsea for large parts. Again, our lack of a proper striker was our undoing and I still cannot believe this wasn't addressed in January.

Before the game there seemed to be a high number of people behaving like it was their first ever football match, wondering around lost with puzzled expressions looking at the complicated pieces of paper in their hands then the moment the second Chelsea goal went in it felt like a fire evacuation was taking place.

We defended resolutely throughout but the 2 goals highlighted the quality of the best team in the land. I was pleased Diego Costa was playing as its good to see these players at Molineux. He plays the role of panto villain well but had a hand in their first and scored their second.

I was interested by Lambert's comments about meeting the owner for the first time after the game. Here just to see a big match or business to see too as well? I'm sure the performance and atmosphere will have whetted his appetite for the potential that lies within our club.

I noticed the South Bank were singing to the TV gantry at final whistle asking Incey to give them a wave, which he did, before telling Hoddle he is a wanker!

Back to the league now which is far more important. We need to produce these kinds of performances against the likes of Wigan and Blues and hopefully widen the gap between ourselves and the trapdoor

I think in many respects one links to another because Weiman and Edwards are both in the team for their end product while at the same time neither offer themselves to midfield build up play. So they are both themselves reliant to the quality of ball played into the box usually from Conor Coady. When that quality is poor both Weiman and Edwards become ineffective.

I get that in terms of chances to try and finish - Edwards best asset is the late arrival header, and the crosses didn't allow him to do that - but there was very little in terms of build up play, triangles, working the ball. We created little up the left hand side bar a couple of Doherty runs. I'd go as far as to say that Doherty was much more effective in an attacking sense than weimann.

I get that in terms of chances to try and finish - Edwards best asset is the late arrival header, and the crosses didn't allow him to do that - but there was very little in terms of build up play, triangles, working the ball. We created little up the left hand side bar a couple of Doherty runs. I'd go as far as to say that Doherty was much more effective in an attacking sense than weimann.

I dont think you can play Chelsea at their own game by trying to build through the centre of the field, they just have to much quality which then brings Fabregas into the game. Against Championship sides I would want more build up play with a replacement for Saville offering an inside ball for Coady so we can better link the play into the final third.

Antonio Conte was very complimentary about us after the game and wished us luck for the rest of the season

Tammy Abrahams please Tony!

We need to be sharing the pitch with players like that EVERY WEEK. It won't happen next season so it is imperative that Fosun use the summer to build on the potential from last night and make a concerted promotion push.

An entertaining game but class told in the end. the players can rightly be proud that more the majority of the match, they made Chelsea look quite ordinary. time to put this sort of attitude and performance into the league matches to get to safety as quickly as possible. again our Achilles heel is going to be to find a goal scorer - as repeatedly stated why wasn't this addresses in January !

1) Not that many teams sell strikers (who you'd actually want) in January

2) Strikers who do move tend to want better than what we could offer, which at best was a push for about 10th place

3) Combine points 1 and 2 and who actually moved in January that you think we could have attracted and would actually have been worth the bother

4) Fosun might be minted but they aren't going to get ripped off, the prices mid-season are through the roof

5) 12 games in December and January, we scored 22 goals. We've dried up after the window closed which is unfortunate timing

6) We have to keep an eye on FFP, fees are amortised across the length of a contract of course but we've spent £20m on Costa and Cav alone this season

We need to be sharing the pitch with players like that EVERY WEEK. It won't happen next season so it is imperative that Fosun use the summer to build on the potential from last night and make a concerted promotion push.

Exactly - 30,000 plus crowds for the majority of home games, on MOTD every week, buckets of Sky money etc.

I chose to not watch it live (was even offered a free ticket to go) as, I expect the majority did too, knew we stood little to no chance of anything other than a gentle defeat - didn't want to spoil my memory of the Anfield day out.

Still surprised, tad angry, we once again upped our game against Premier opposition yet churn out the performances we do against the Burton' of the world.

Either that or we do a Bournemouth and say fuck FFP, spend way beyond our means by that measure, get promoted, and then thumb our noses at it.

Either that or we do a Bournemouth and say fuck FFP, spend way beyond our means by that measure, get promoted, and then thumb our noses at it.

Not worth it, the margins are too small. Brighton are a damn good team, got 89 points last season...still here, aren't they.

Forest are mostly damaged by Fawaz being a total buffoon but their cavalier attitude to FFP has been a key sub-factor in all that - they've been crippled for multiple windows and the team just goes nowhere or backwards.

Line from the telegraph live blog

Wolves have been game throughout and clever, too. But they need significantly more firepower.

Can't disagree with that. We played well, now we can focus on getting some points and a proper style of play.

Serious lack of vision in January from Lambert.

Back