• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - MK Dons 0 The not good enough result thread

People think he is blameless as he does nothing so is not directly responsible when things go wrong. His running around makes him look like he is doing something.

Although in reality his position he should be the focal point of the team. He should have more touches than any other player, more passes, more key passes etc. guarantee he will be one of the lowest in the team.

He is purely a passenger who pops up with a goal. Basically a poacher who plays deeper and runs around a bit. Unfortunately he doesn't get 20 goals a season like a poacher!!

Good post,
Edwards hardly tries to combine with the other midfield players which often leaves a massive gap between McDonald and Afobe. Sometimes we require that passing option through midfield to help gain more fluency and become less predictable for the opposition.
There are no signs that Edwards works on chance creation into Afobe during the week plus his ability to bring the wide players into the game is negligible.

He was pretty angry all game

As was I.

I do understand taking Graham off instead of Henry as Carruthers & Spence were kicking lumps out of him right from the start and he probably wanted to protect him. What I don't understand is leaving your new £1M pace merchant right winger on the bench when Henry was clearly getting no joy up against the slowest full back in world football, Dean Lewington. That game was crying out for a bit of pace, MK looked at their most vulnerable when Iorfa, Afobe, Ojo & Graham had the ball at their feet and ran at them but KJ leaves Byrne on the bench for Henry who was having an absolute shocker.

Hardly tried to combine?
Did you see yesterday's game LK?

There's clearly little link play with Afobe, for sure.

However when Edwards went off, we were for me less threatening. Afobe frequently was out of position, far far too deep.

Good post,
Edwards hardly tries to combine with the other midfield players which often leaves a massive gap between McDonald and Afobe. Sometimes we require that passing option through midfield to help gain more fluency and become less predictable for the opposition.
There are no signs that Edwards works on chance creation into Afobe during the week plus his ability to bring the wide players into the game is negligible.

Edwards was non existent yesterday. Again. He's not good enough. It's not even a debate worth having any more tbh.

As was I.

I do understand taking Graham off instead of Henry as Carruthers & Spence were kicking lumps out of him right from the start and he probably wanted to protect him. What I don't understand is leaving your new £1M pace merchant right winger on the bench when Henry was clearly getting no joy up against the slowest full back in world football, Dean Lewington. That game was crying out for a bit of pace, MK looked at their most vulnerable when Iorfa, Afobe, Ojo & Graham had the ball at their feet and ran at them but KJ leaves Byrne on the bench for Henry who was having an absolute shocker.

He didn't have a shocker for me, he was however hugely inconsistent.
He did get some decent balls over on the second half. In the first half he was very insular, his game management was selfish.

As for pace, I don't think MK left enough room for Byrne's pace to be useful. Henry is a different sort of player and Graham was carrying a bad hamstring

Looks like I had more fun staying at home fighting off this chest infection.

Regarding Edwards, people more knowledgeable than myself think he should not be in the team, yet four successive managers have selected him. They can't all be wrong, can they?

Regarding Edwards, people more knowledgeable than myself think he should not be in the team, yet four successive managers have selected him. They can't all be wrong, can they?

What if they are?

Whats this rare gift that these people possess which separates their thoughts from mere mortals.

Can you name any team that plays with a #10 that is completely bereft of creativity? He should be the heartbeat of the team.

Can you name any team that plays with a #10 that is completely bereft of creativity? He should be the heartbeat of the team.

Possibly one of the biggest changes within English sides this season has been the introduction of a ten within the West Ham side in Dimitri Payet.
Now West Ham look inventive going forward and are a delight to watch compared to what was offered last season.

Who gives a shit if four successive managers have picked Edwards? Two of them were useless thundercunts, Mick has always had a boner for work horses, and jackett is as beige a Championship manager as you can get. You can excuse Mick, as playing Edwards in the Premier League is asking for a different job than in the Championship. So the argument is 'Edwards must be good, if Stale, Saunders and Jackett like him' . Have a fucking word :icon_lol:

So you count the word of Terry Connor or Dean Saunders as an authority on this subject? Dave Edwards is a selfish player insomuch he pops up with the occasional goal but his assists are none existent, his link up play isn't much better not because he wants the glory but because he simply doesn't have the ability aside from having an engine and a rare goal in him. If he doesn't score we start games handicapped.

Edwards is this decades Lee Naylor.

The strange thing is, the way we played yesterday (Kmac to Graham, takes on 2 players and crosses it umpteen times, only for Edwards to be in the box with zero chance of winning it) If we would have had that big lump up front (Holt) he proably would have got his head on a few.
That said, i watched him "warm up" down the touchline and i wouldnt even use the word halfhearted to describe it.

I might be going daft but has KJ actually played Byrne in his right sided position yet?..im sure ive only seem him on the left so far.

The Edwards 'discussion' has now become tedious.

Seems a decent enough bloke who has been a good, if limited, servant for a number of years. Are there games at this level when his energy & a knack of picking up a few goals means it is beneficial - yes, though yesterday wasn't one of them. As an experienced player in what is otherwise a fairly young & inexperienced squad I have no doubt that his influence is useful, but as a squad player not a guaranteed starter.

McD & Price were perfectly capable of dealing with whatever MK midfield produced (which wasn't a lot) & we didn't need a third person in there. MK came for a point and will be delighted that they got it (could have been worse if, from what I could see from the other end, Ikeme hadn't made a decent save in time added on - this place would be even more dire than it is if he hadn't)

More worrying is the total lack of impetus or quality from anywhere else on the pitch - DW's photo earlier in this thread is a telling comment.

Edwards linked the play quite well and was dangerous, at times, excuse the pun

More threat than Afobe.

Henry was inconsistent, but still produced moments of quality.
At last someone with a clue!!

People are letting frustration muddy their view. We played ok we was mullering them when super knob Jackett decided to bring on Ojo (waste of time) and when he took off the Edwards (whipping boy) we was flat as a witches t## so go figure!
Kenny Jackett is a negative manager who has to go soon. Look at the thread relating to what he needed to do to stay.
He still doesn't know his best team.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Anyone slating Edwards today is IMO speaking from an agenda, rather than actual performance.

Afobe gets away with murder.
Bang on mate when he was took off did we improve? Did we heck terrible subs as usual.

At last someone with a clue!!

People are letting frustration muddy their view. We played ok we was mullering them when super knob Jackett decided to bring on Ojo (waste of time) and when he took off the Edwards (whipping boy) we was flat as a witches t## so go figure!
Kenny Jackett is a negative manager who has to go soon. Look at the thread relating to what he needed to do to stay.
He still doesn't know his best team.

Very frustrated but it's not muddying my view at all. We didn't play ok, we were poor against the worst team i have seen this season, they couldn't defend as proven when we actually attacked, they couldn't attack and for a side that have got a reputation of playing good football couldn't do that. Their centre halves kicked the ball out of play more often than to an MK Dons shirt.

We were all over them just before the subs and it did change mainly because Ojo is awful and kept giving the ball away and because when Le Fondre came on we decided that we were just going to punt the ball either at his head or in behind a side playing quite deep anyway. Nothing to do with Edwards not being there to link the play (because he doesn't do it as much as a number 10 should) more to do with the change of tactics implemented by our manager. I do agree he has to go but i've always been of the opinion we should improve on him in this division.

Back