• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - MK Dons 0 The not good enough result thread

So which was worse, November 2014 or November 2015?

I don't even think it's comparable. We strung three wins out of our first four right off the bat last season.

We lost five on the bounce, but 4 of those were against the eventual top six, the Bournemouth game we dominated and were already showing signs of recovery before Mike Jones took centre stage.

I went to Burnley and felt bored, that bond which had existed between the squad and stands seemed to be broken to me. I think what compounds it is knowing just how close we were last season and seeing us now we have regressed ridiculously.

BBC shows us as having 16 shots, so we must have been putting them under some pressure.

God knows where those 16 came from.

We had a team for the taking today, and didn't turn up.
I'm of the opinion that a number of players have dented confidence right now. We have no real spark anywhere on the pitch. Too many players have started to stagnate a bit, and I can't really see where a development is going to come from. We couldn't score against a team who created sweet FA until 83 minutes. At no point did I feel genuinely we would score. MK Dons came hoping for a point, and probably couldn't believe the extent to which we failed to trouble them.

And given that they're such a poor side, and we're so poor against them, how do we genuinely expect to cope against better sides?

There have been times in the past 2 years when we've played some nice creative football. I'm starting to doubt whether that is going to happen this season. The tactics, selections and substitutions for me this year have been such an anomaly, and I now think that because of these, the league table is accurate. We're where we are in the table because we've regressed as a team.

We're repeating the mistakes of the late Mick era. We're building a squad of players with signings not making the first team.
Sometimes with Mick, his bizarre selections worked. I'm not seeing this at all with KJ. Worryingly, I thing some of the reactions by some players also suggests they have similar concerns.

I thought Williamson did well today. Price played some decent stuff. Iorfa had some decent moments. Graham was at least a wide player capable of playing wide left, and showed glimpses he could offer something on that side. Afobe started drifting too much imo, resulting in him being too far away from the goal/box. That resulted in a (too late introduced) ALF experiencing a fair bit of being isolated.

There was nothing to enthuse me today. If ever a game called for a hgh bit of pressing, today was it. 2nd half, we should've introduced ALF straight away, and pressed higher up the pitch. We'd have won the ball and scored. We are far too conservative. Since November 2014, KJ has been too afraid of losing. That's led to us losing a lot of impetus.

I can't see where it's going to get better right now.

Worst team at Molineux i think I've seen. There defence was hopeless! McFadzean and Lewington.... Jesus.

Pub players and Henry couldn't get anything out of him!

Why are people criticising Afobe for going deep?? It's what the fucking moron tells him to do. Play 5ft ALF up top and hoof it to him. We hoof it because we have pub players like Edwards running around rather than finding space in the middle. We wouldn't pass it him anyway as it's not the strategy!! They and we know he can't trap a bag of sand so we always look for long balls or try and work something out wide.

How the guy is still in a job I don't know.

And his is Byrne still not getting a game? Laughable recruitment. Our best options now looks the guy from the U21s

Afobe was in No way playing too deep for the majority of the game. He came deep due to the incompetent approach play creating no chances for him.

We are currently in the process of destroying a top talent in Afobe.

Aside from what was going on on the pitch. Can anybody tell me why the usual suspects in the top corner of the South Bank were singing about Isis and Jihadi John?

So surreal. Stand up if you hate ISIS? WTF?

I don't even think it's comparable. We strung three wins out of our first four right off the bat last season.

We lost five on the bounce, but 4 of those were against the eventual top six, the Bournemouth game we dominated and were already showing signs of recovery before Mike Jones took centre stage.

I went to Burnley and felt bored, that bond which had existed between the squad and stands seemed to be broken to me. I think what compounds it is knowing just how close we were last season and seeing us now we have regressed ridiculously.

+1 I know we often disagree but you are spot on here

Edwards wasn't the problem today or the team selection or formation. The starting 11 should have beaten what was a very poor side, that isn't down to KJ, once those players are out on the pitch it's up to them and they just didn't do enough. Sadly once ALF came on Aforbe reverted to "a player being controlled by a teenager on FIFA". If Edwards offers nothing then Aforbe offered even less in the last 30 mins. MK were a shocking side that relied on snidey tactics to get their point, but good luck to them if that's what they need to do. We had plenty of chances to win the game.

Edwards wasn't the problem today or the team selection or formation. The starting 11 should have beaten what was a very poor side, that isn't down to KJ, once those players are out on the pitch it's up to them and they just didn't do enough. Sadly once ALF came on Aforbe reverted to "a player being controlled by a teenager on FIFA". If Edwards offers nothing then Aforbe offered even less in the last 30 mins. MK were a shocking side that relied on snidey tactics to get their point, but good luck to them if that's what they need to do. We had plenty of chances to win the game.

May as well not have managers then...

Anybody else see James Henry walk straight off when the ref blew up to book their midfielder at the end? Tosser couldn't wait to get off the pitch.

Afobe tried bloody hard today. Edwards did fucking nothing. I really am puzzled by his defenders on here - a truly awful footballer who gets white knighted to an inordinate degree for no reason. Please tell me what he offers because I have spent nearly eight years trying to work it out.

By the way the formation and selection definitely was the problem today.

People think he is blameless as he does nothing so is not directly responsible when things go wrong. His running around makes him look like he is doing something.

Although in reality his position he should be the focal point of the team. He should have more touches than any other player, more passes, more key passes etc. guarantee he will be one of the lowest in the team.

He is purely a passenger who pops up with a goal. Basically a poacher who plays deeper and runs around a bit. Unfortunately he doesn't get 20 goals a season like a poacher!!

People think he is blameless as he does nothing so is not directly responsible when things go wrong. His running around makes him look like he is doing something.

Although in reality his position he should be the focal point of the team. He should have more touches than any other player, more passes, more key passes etc. guarantee he will be one of the lowest in the team.

He is purely a passenger who pops up with a goal. Basically a poacher who plays deeper and runs around a bit. Unfortunately he doesn't get 20 goals a season like a poacher!!

This is just pure ignorance from people who watch football. A curiously English disease too.

(Not a dig at you PW, just highlighting your well made point).

Absolutely bang on

Afobe tried bloody hard today. Edwards did fucking nothing. I really am puzzled by his defenders on here - a truly awful footballer who gets white knighted to an inordinate degree for no reason. Please tell me what he offers because I have spent nearly eight years trying to work it out.

By the way the formation and selection definitely was the problem today.

I counted three decisive passes first half
alone.
He clearly did Dan?
I'm not a defender of Edwards, but I will defend when I feel someone is getting harshly done to.

It's also a pretty arrogant view?

I wouldn't say it was arrogant i would say it's true. Edwards does run around a lot and to quite a lot of fans that contributes to doing something. In some games he's been vital and his work rate and late runs in to the box have worked but when you need guile and quality on the ball and someone to really open a team up like today Dave Edwards is not what you need. I don't blame him though or Henry today who was awful but our manager who has failed to improve on those 2 positions despite trying to.

It's so frustrating watching us play and as a football coach it makes me sad sometimes. There's no real plan and we are that far away from each other when we have the ball all we can do a lot of the time is hoof it to Afobe or Le Fondre which lends itself to not being able to break sides down as we don't really create any really chances. I'd love to get people in front of a tv with a view of today's game like DW put up earlier or like the tactical cam from Sky and show what happens when we have the ball, it's criminal and is the reason why we rely on crosses in to the box and long balls despite having a team not really suited to either.

I do think it is a little, sorry.

Also with respect, why have four managers continued to pick and play him?

Why does he continue to play for Wales who have some decent players in that position?

He's always the one who gets slated, whereas Afobe gets off.

I'm not entirely sure what Afobe is supposed to be getting away with?

Missed one decent chance yesterday, the others were very difficult opportunities which I thought he just about made the most of. He was just unlucky that Martin in their goal had a good game.

Back