• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 Watford 2; The back down to earth with a bump, Verdict Thread

Yes, if anything needs to change at all, it's one of the front 3, certainly wouldn't change any of back 5 or middle 2.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Lee Moss is a Cunt of the highest order.
1st half looked poor tho only saw a bit.
2nd half better but for Moss could have scraped an undeserved draw.

Cav , Jota twice both penalised for fouls when clean through never ever a foul.
Don't even start me on the Penalty, shoulder in the back whilst looking at the player.
Disgrace

Interesting that the last 3 teams have set up against us with a version of 442. Obviously word has got round that's the way to play against us - whether it is or not I'm not sure. What Watford did well as shown by their second goal was to utilise the space behind our wing backs, moving the ball there quickly once we lost possession.

I was concerned, Jimenez would look jaded and he did. I still think with our resources we can and will do better. Much as he ordinarily links play well, he doesn't bully centre halves nor worry them with pace. They had two lumps at the back today who we failed to get at, should have put Jota or Cav down the middle at half time.

Jota is still terribly lacking in confidence, balls that last year he would have run onto into the box, he's now checking back on. It's purely a confidence thing. Costa was also guilty until the last 20 minutes of not taking his man on and playing it safe.

People have said how poor Moutinho was, but what I can't accept is leg dangling. He and Neves won very little in midfield, either conceding cheap free kicks or making a token leg dangle. I feared at the start of the season they'd be overrun and have been pleasantly surprised that until today that hasn't happened.

Put it down to a bad day at the office today, but teams will watch that game and try and replicate the tactics. Nuno as good as said that there will be changes next week. Cav for Jimenez is the only one I'd make

It's easy to make it about Mason, he was ridiculously picky and Watford played him. In the second half got at least 3 decisions wrong, but he's not the reason we lost the game

Well...

I think the first thing you have to do is give huge credit to Javi Gracia and his Watford side. He flooded the midfield to negate Neves and Moutinho and it worked a treat.

Saying that, we were pretty comfortable until they scored a fairly fortunate first through a forest of legs that left Rui helpless. At that point we shot ourselves in the foot. Immediately charging at them to try and get level and then came the sucker punch.

After that we were actually disappointingly toothless. Ah well, on to next week.

Credit to Watford as after the goal they did a massive number on us. They basically played 424 once they scored and it caused us no end of problems. We really couldn't pin down any of Hughes, Success, Pereyra or Deulofeu. They pushed onto our back 3 and operated between the lines of our midfield and defence and we couldn't cope with it.

However it could have been avoided, Rui is massively culpable on the first goal (barring a reflection which I didn't see), took two huge steps to his left before the shot came in. Went basically in the middle of the goal. The 2nd is just terrible all around, completely switched off and they walked through us.

After that we're very unlikely to get back in it, and we never really looked like we would. The ref was appalling for both sides, the foul by Boly looked inside the area too so might have got away with one there. Allowed the game to be broken up at will with niggly stuff, you see let go in other games.

In the end no real complaints and suspect it could do us some good in the long run. Brings us back to earth at the very least, might stop some of the media love in surrounding us of late too.

Sounds like it was a bad day at the office for us but Watford came with an effective gameplan on how to manage us especially in the midfield. Disappointing but as long as our heads don't drop I have faith that we will bounce back fast.

Why do we bring on a winger at wing back when we're chasing games? Has this ever done anything except destroy our shape?
We didn't. Traore coming on saw us switch to 4-3-3 with Bennett at RB and Traore at RCM.

I had no idea what we were doing with Traore. Completely wasted how we used him with him being behind the play half the time. He didn’t really help himself either.

Don't think Traore was RCM, he was an out and out winger, but only 2/3 of the pitch up. I watched one of our coaches telling him where to play when he came on and he kept pointing at the right wing between the defence and midfield. It was almost like we played Costa right IF (and Cav kept coming there too) and Traore RW. It left Jota stupidly isolated, especially as we had got a lot of chances down the left when Vini came on.

Troare replaces Costa on the right or you don't bother. Today felt a bit like Forest last year, 2-0 down and throw everyone on without any real plan

Yes thought that a lot today after we when 2 down, it just felt like nothing we were doing was working.

We didn't. Traore coming on saw us switch to 4-3-3 with Bennett at RB and Traore at RCM.

I have no idea what you were watching. The Traore sub was a mess, we were trying to play 5 up top in attack and still keep our 3-4-3 shape. It didn't work because Traore isn't a RWB and Costa still kept going wide. At one point Cav, Costa and Traore were all stood still in the same 5 yards.

Can't disagree with most views, Watford were set up perfectly for Doucoure and Capoue to stop balls going forward and Pereyra, Hughes and Deloufeu narrow and pressing Neves and Moutinho from behind, preventing them turning and passing backwards/ inside. Watford pressed everything that went central and until Vinagre came on we couldn't keep the ball out wide.

I don't think Moutinho had a stinker he was suffocated out of the game. Bennett had a stinker today and should've been sent off but I'm glad to see he hates losing.

We'll come back from that and I think with a full week of preparation this won't happen again.

I have no idea what you were watching. The Traore sub was a mess, we were trying to play 5 up top in attack and still keep our 3-4-3 shape. It didn't work because Traore isn't a RWB and Costa still kept going wide. At one point Cav, Costa and Traore were all stood still in the same 5 yards.

Can't disagree with most views, Watford were set up perfectly for Doucoure and Capoue to stop balls going forward and Pereyra, Hughes and Deloufeu narrow and pressing Neves and Moutinho from behind, preventing them turning and passing backwards/ inside. Watford pressed everything that went central and until Vinagre came on we couldn't keep the ball out wide.

I don't think Moutinho had a stinker he was suffocated out of the game. Bennett had a stinker today and should've been sent off but I'm glad to see he hates losing.

We'll come back from that and I think with a full week of preparation this won't happen again.

Almost entirely correct except Moutinho did have a stinker!
Nuno has a real weak point when it comes to bringing subs on to change the game, however his meticulous planning means he doesn't usually need to practice in this area of the game!

Plain as the nose on your face, it was obvious within a couple of minutes of Traore coming that we were overloading up top with five up there except it just didn't work. We had nothing central then and the wide men were negating each other.

Can't argue with the Forest comparisons, it was gung-ho for gung-ho's sake. We were due one to be fair, I'd just rather it hadn't happened today.

The one person who performed up to scratch today was The Sultan who only got the second half.

In future dendonker would be good from the bench if like today we are getting over run in midfield. Cav and Costa or Traore up top and a 3 5 2 still keeps decent shape but gives support to Neves and Moutinho.

Again, Brighton isn't a happy hunting ground and if we perform like we did today we will leave there with nothing. I like Traore as an impact sub for Costa or Jota otherwise don't bother. He is as much a wing back as I am. Jota needs to step it up. His place in the starting 11 is in jeopardy. Raul needs to sharpen up too. Hard work and no goals is Kevin Doyle. We need a bit more from him.

Dendonker to come on the bench but starting 11 the same. If we want to shore it up to 3 5 2 later on with him in midfield. Disappointing way to end a decent run. As long as we learn from it I will take it on the chin and move on. Next!
It's great to see every game though!

Frankly I thought traore was lost in this game from the minute he came on the pitch, fast , a dribbler extroardinaire yes, but a footballing brain? No chance

Back