• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Southampton: Verdict Thread

Not much different from the Newcastle game, really. Could/should have ended the same way too. Frustrating, because we have so much class in the side and look capable of beating anyone until we get to the sharp end: Champagne movement and Watney's finishing. I was hoping Sasa would get us to 40 points before breaking; he barely made 40 minutes! Glad to hear it doesn't seem to be serious. Has Ruben backed himself to be the first PL player to a card suspension? The talent is there, so still hoping 🤞

Thought we were okay, just about deserved the win. Nunes was MOTM for me, closely followed by Jonny who had a really good second half.
Agree with this not sure what people are seeing RE Nunes by saying "he's not quite there" he was absolutely superb. Assisted the goal, driving forward and excellent passing with both feet.

We *just* about deserved that I reckon. Still don't work keepers anything like enough, still sit stupidly deep when defending a lead and don't bother keeping the ball properly. But it doesn't matter for now, just needed a win, any win.

Definitely intended finish by Podence. Jonny MOTM

A win! And the first time i've been for a long while.
Southampton were there for the taking. The space on the right hand side was gaping at times, and they did knock some good balls there. Jonny and Max played outstandingly, Collins not far behind.
Ait Nouri had some good moments, but was out on his feet at 80 mins. No idea why Semedo didn't come on when he was stripped and ready. Nunes was the same at 80 mins.
Subs..... why the fuck doesn't Bruno utilise them correctly. Adama should have been on at 60 mins. Their left back would have been fucked. Southampton used all 5 of theirs, we used 2.
Hwang ran around a lot when he came on, and didn't shit out of tackles. At least the crowd tried to pick him up a little.
The new guy Sasa can hold the ball up, but didn't do much else, hopefully his injury isn't bad. He went down in a bit of a heap after the tackle.
Guedes isn't Trincao. He made some decent runs, just didn't get the pass. There's a player there.
You can see they haven't clicked together yet. Some flicks and passes were the right thing to do at the time, but the players they went to had moved before the ball was played. Also first half the midfield where all in each others way. It's a lot of wrong decisions in the final third. I do think they will gel with some work.
A word on the ref. He had a shocker. One tackle for Wolves players and the card was out. Repeated fouls from Southampton players just a talking to. The guy who kept fouling got a card after the 5th tackle.
At the end it looked like a weight had been lifted off the players shoulders.

Not much different from the Newcastle game, really. Could/should have ended the same way too. Frustrating, because we have so much class in the side and look capable of beating anyone until we get to the sharp end: Champagne movement and Watney's finishing. I was hoping Sasa would get us to 40 points before breaking; he barely made 40 minutes! Glad to hear it doesn't seem to be serious. Has Ruben backed himself to be the first PL player to a card suspension? The talent is there, so still hoping 🤞
Ruben took the guy out after the ref couldn't be arsed to give a foul just before. He was getting frustrated with that shitbox ref, very much like the crowd were.

I thought we were pretty average. We always seem pretty average.

Kilman and Jonny were excellent, Nunes was tidy (looked a bit slow if I’m being critical) but Neves has looked nowhere near his Newcastle-level in the last two games.

Up top, it just feels that Neto, Podence and, now, Guedes are basically all the same. Moments of genius, moments of rubbish and, most frequently, moments of absolutely fuck all.

We are always going to struggle unless at least one of those three is on top of their game. Today they were all bang average.

As usual, we defended well and looked organised and I think that saved us today - the ball rarely sticks for us up top because our forward players are weak as piss.

We gave no plan when we are leading other than to hang on for dear life. And it’s boring.

Southampton probably deserved something from that.

We take it and move on to sone much bigger challenges coming up.

Agreed. Some of the decisions our players make in the opposition box beggars belief at times.
Agreed. Got themselves in great positions today right and left. Just needs the correct pass. That kind of thing comes with confidence and more time together.

I actually quite like listening to Bruno so, you know, kiss my glans I suppose? Also already bored of reading about what a dud Guedes is after…5 games in a new league.

Matheus was excellent, Johnny too. Sasa made a real difference first half when we looked much more coherent and focused. Saints have been quite gritty and have some quality new additions so very happy with the win.

I thought I'd posted this on the matchday thread but seemingly not...
I was out all day but following it on 2 channels.
one said...
1. "A good first time ball from Nunes to Podence at the far post who should have passed it to the unmarked Sasa but went for goal and was lucky to see it bounce over the keeper"
2. " A great first time pass from Nunes to Podence waiting at the far post who expertly guided it past the keeper."
Which was it?

Not the prettiest win but scraped over the line.

I actually thought we played better stuff in the second half when Southampton had to push forward a bit more and leave more gaps. We got Neto in down the right constantly during that spell until he tired out.

First half was tough as they closed us down all over the pitch. Not a good performance but a terrific ball from Nunes across the goal to a very fortunate Podence I thought. Tried to do a clever hook back across goal, fluffed it and it luckily bounced over the keeper. At this point though we'll take any goal any way it comes.

Kalajdzic struggled to make any impact. He didn't realise how little service he was going to get (it took 10 mins before he even touched the ball - a header inside his own half) and rarely came deep for the ball. Never received it through the middle either so he looked kind of lost as to what to do. Hopefully he isn't injured for too long.

Neves and Moutinho struggled with their press today, but Nunes showed how its done, holding them off, spinning away from them and spraying the ball around. Gets forward into that right channel plenty and that's where his assist came from. Great ball. My MOTM.

RAN was another who had a good game, particularly first half. He tired a bit in the second period, and up stepped Jonny to have a great second half, moving inside with the ball and gliding past players at times.

Once again Bruno was too late with his subs. Neto looked knackered after 70 mins but it took another 10 before Traore was introduced. He's got to start being a bit more pro-active now we can make 5 subs.

All in all a much needed 3 points, but still lots to improve on.

Last edited:
I thought I'd posted this on the matchday thread but seemingly not...
I was out all day but following it on 2 channels.
one said...
1. "A good first time ball from Nunes to Podence at the far post who should have passed it to the unmarked Sasa but went for goal and was lucky to see it bounce over the keeper"
2. " A great first time pass from Nunes to Podence waiting at the far post who expertly guided it past the keeper."
Which was it?
Podence totally did the keeper. Class finish.

The first one is total bollocks.

Back