• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Southampton: Verdict Thread

not sure what people are seeing RE Nunes by saying "he's not quite there" he was absolutely superb. Assisted the goal, driving forward and excellent passing with both feet.

It's the rest of them who ain't quite there. Loads of times he gets it and looks for the right pass but no one else has seen it. He's gonna get frustrated soon.

Oh and Neto should have buried his chance first half. Terrible scuffed finish.

I thought Podence was awful first half. Lost the ball constantly, couldn't beat anyone, and got lucky with his goal. Much better second half though once he had a bit more space open up.

It's the rest of them who ain't quite there. Loads of times he gets it and looks for the right pass but no one else has seen it. He's gonna get frustrated soon.
Definitely need another body from midfield. Neves or Moutinho need to be getting up in support of RAN/ Pod in from the left.

Nunes took up some great positions and I thought he worked really well with Neto who will get better.

Pity we can't do it on out left too.

Last edited:
Reactions: b3h
I thought the mentality if not some of the quality was a bit better. If Southampton had scored in the last minute I wouldn't have said we'd brought it on ourselves

Guedes and Sasa need to be stronger, you aren't getting the fouls you are hoping for in the PL and if you are 6 foot 7 you are going to get man handled, has to give it back

Someone has said before but if it's 433 it needs to be Neves, Nunes plus someone who isn't Moutinho, 2 of the 3 need legs. Nunes showed why today

Jonny is having a strange season 8 or 4 out of 10

RAN, there are no prizes for beating the same man twice, put the fucking ball in. Needs coaching or bollocking depending on his personality

I don't have a concern about Collins defensively, I don't think his distribution is good enough for the role Lage wants him to play though, but it's a high bar

Neto HAS to play on the left, much more of this and his confidence will be on the floor

3 goals from 6 games. 2 mishits and a bit of brilliance

The attitude towards Lage in the ground is a world away from on here and was at 0 0.

Fair play to the SB, Neto had a mare, but they got behind him and the same for Hwang who rewarded it with an energetic cameo full of effort if lacking in quality

Last edited:
Yeah they sang Bruno's name for a good 10 mins in the second half. He's nowhere near getting sacked despite what many on here think and want. Only if we go on a horrific run after Liverpool and Man City.

You can't see us winning more than 1 of the next 4. He's still under huge pressure and not very likely to last more than about 6-7 weeks.

Only saw the last 15 minutes or so, wasn't expecting to see so much love for Jonny as he got rinsed twice by a kid playing his first progressional minutes in what I saw but 15 minutes isn't going to tell the full story.

Frustrating watching how panicky they defend at times, even under fairly tame pressure. Collins seems far too keen to clear his lines at the earliest opportunity, perhaps something Dyche drilled into them though, but then when he does settled down he also has a tendency to go the complete opposite way and tie himself in knots. Just wish few more of them would pick themselves up a bit in those situations, back themselves to take a touch and maybe find a pass or at least give the team a few seconds to get out a bit. Traore seemed the only one that did that in what I saw, though it's always nerve racking watching take a touch and look to beat a man 30 yards from his own goal.

Similar sort of thing a few times where ball got laid inside from fullback and even with plenty of space the player receiving is taking a first touch back towards their own goal instead of being more positive. Will give Guedes a bit of credit there for the one bit of involvement I witnessed, played down the channel then took a touch to come inside and try to get across his man, completely fannied the execution mind but at least the thought was there.

Just watched the highlights and far from convinced that finish from Podence is anything like intentional. Just looks like he's stretching and happy to get any sort of contact that keeps the ball in/around the danger zone.

Last edited:
Don’t think he was particularly “backed” by the crowd. Lage’a Barmy wasnt sung at all until late in the first half and even then it wa every quiet. It’s normally sung early on as it’s pretty much the only non player song we have.

It got going in the second half but that’s fans getting behind their team when we under the cosh a bit.

I think the vast majority wouldn’t be arsed if he went, minority actively want him out. I doubt there’s very few who want him to stay. They may say he needs time or any other list of excuses that gets trotted out but they wouldn’t be against it if he was sacked.

Do I think he will suddenly turn us into an entertaining top half outfit? I doubt it. Can he get an improvement to see us stay away from relegation trouble? Most likely.

So as I said in the other thead, if we’re around a PPG after 12-14 games, and still not really being an entertaining team then he will need to go. Finishing 14th with this squad/money spent is not success.

Don’t think he was particularly “backed” by the crowd. Lage’a Barmy wasnt sung at all until late in the first half and even then it wa every quiet. It’s normally sung early on as it’s pretty much the only non player song we have.

It got going in the second half but that’s fans getting behind their team when we under the cosh a bit.

I think the vast majority wouldn’t be arsed if he went, minority actively want him out. I doubt there’s very few who want him to stay. They may say he needs time or any other list of excuses that gets trotted out but they wouldn’t be against it if he was sacked.

Do I think he will suddenly turn us into an entertaining top half outfit? I doubt it. Can he get an improvement to see us stay away from relegation trouble? Most likely.

So as I said in the other thead, if we’re around a PPG after 12-14 games, and still not really being an entertaining team then he will need to go. Finishing 14th with this squad/money spent is not success.

Hmmm I'm not convinced, I personally think this forum's mainstream view on Lage is very much a minority among your average fan (rightly or wrongly), based on what I've witnessed, which is obviously not exhaustive. Not that people particularly like him, more that he's a decent bloke who hadn't been backed and was left with Nuno's players etc (I know)

I agree with your last paragraph though, he can't tread water with this squad now. But I think it'll be Fosun that pushes on that, and I think it'll be before the fans turn

He burnt his credit at the end of last season and failing to beat Leeds, Fulham, Newcastle or Bournemouth.
1 win in 13, needs backing up to just shrug your shoulders and say we expect to lose the next 4 then fair enough but you’re vindicating 1 win in 17 games, absolutely no manager on this planet should survive that.

Back