• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 - 1 Hull - The Verdict Thread

You see them not given all the time (eg Burnley yesterday) but you can't complain when they are.

Exactly. I understand him wanting to shift the blame away from Hause, but if it had happened in their box he'd been saying it was a stonewaller. I think sometimes you need to just admit a pen is a pen, otherwise you end up sounding like Arsene Wenger

I think this time a year ago if Norwich don't have a player sent off then it would have mirrored today's a good game with both sides having spells of pressure.

If Edwards is to play its in that advanced central role for the love of god not wide. If he plays wide he's also costing us our shape - Dicko goes wide, Afobe is crowded out and starts coming deeper it's a domino effect and that starts before we look at Edwards effectiveness as a wide player which even as an Edwards sympathiser is extremely limited. Edwards had some useful touches and interceptions today but none of them are the primary objective of a wide player/winger. Ha use was naive for the pen but he bounced back well I thought.

Positives: Coady looks like an absolute gem. So comfortable on the ball and not afraid to shoot. Made a tackle in the first five minutes which just set the tone for his entire match. Martinez was good, claimed balls well, great save from Akpom in the first and Aluko in the second. Looks a great prospect. Iorfa is nothing short of a monster. JelLavic did him a kipper when they hit the post but think that was the cunning of the striker. If we work on his crossing we will have the complete full back.

I thought we played some really, really nice football. K-Mac & Coady give us a really nice balance in the middle of the park but for the last 15-20 minutes they'd ran themselves in to the ground and Hull really finished the game strongly. That's why you need someone like Dave Edwards in there though - his hard work and endeavour is so important - in the 85th minute he was still pressing high up the pitch and giving their centre halves no time on the ball. He's not a left winger - but was Ojo the man closing their lads down at the end? No - it was Dave Edwards. You won't win a game with 11 flair players; it's pretty simple.

Dicko missed a sackful of chances today and on another day, we'd have scored 4/5 goals. Afobe came a little bit deeper than I'd have liked. ALF probably should have come on earlier - I suspect he'd have knocked one of those chances in.

Martinez did well. Golbourne did well. Hause grew in to the game after starting shakily, and he needed to because Hull finished much stronger than ourselves.

I'm not totally convinced by the decision for the penalty - yes there was a push, but look at some of the wrestling you see up and down the country over and over again for corners every weekend. I can understand WHY it was given - but it was soft. Thankfully Mcgregor chucking the ball in to his own net got us the point we deserved.

Onwards and upwards. We'll go close this year.

Are people only just starting to notice how long KJ takes to make subs??? It's been like this for 2 years!

Hull were pretty decent, but they're basically still a Prem team so that's to be expected.
Dicko played well except couldn't put it in the net.
Edwards contributed nothing and Ojo should start next week, or change the formation to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 if he has to play.
Martinez on league debut did pretty well. Buuuut I suggest he learns how to direct the ball away from danger when he makes a save. A couple of his save were tap ins to anyone following up.
Not a bad point though all in all.

At 70 mins I thought 'I dont care about the result, based on this we're the best team in the league'. The next 20 mins were one way traffic in their favour but I dont think Im changing my stance. If not for our prolifgacy we would've won that at a canter.

Hull were pretty decent, but they're basically still a Prem team so that's to be expected.
Dicko played well except couldn't put it in the net.
Edwards contributed nothing and Ojo should start next week, or change the formation to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 if he has to play.
Martinez on league debut did pretty well. Buuuut I suggest he learns how to direct the ball away from danger when he makes a save. A couple of his save were tap ins to anyone following up.
Not a bad point though all in all.

I can't agree with most of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 70 mins I thought 'I dont care about the result, based on this we're the best team in the league'. The next 20 mins were one way traffic in their favour but I dont think Im changing my stance. If not for our prolifgacy we would've won that at a canter.

One thing is for sure, we looked miles better than QPR or Cardiff did. That should be six points.

Got the tallest bloke who ever lived standing in front of me, one off?, find out Wednesday I suppose.

Don't agree with the McDonald haters. Thought he had a good game today. That tackle he made in the second half was pure sex.

One thing is for sure, we looked miles better than QPR or Cardiff did. That should be six points.
Agreed 100%

For those clamouring for Ojo, he did nothing when he came on and didn't even bother tracking back. Early days but he needs to do more than that to earn a start.

Don't agree with the McDonald haters. Thought he had a good game today. That tackle he made in the second half was pure sex.

Yep, best he's done in a defensive sense for some time. Fine on the ball as well. Looks like he and Coady have a good understanding already.

I was unconvinced when we signed Coady as I thought he was just a pure DM and I couldn't see the point, but he has a lot more to his game. Won so many loose balls in the first hour, just quality reading of the game.

There were no bad performances, I thought Dicko was very average mind.

Kmac was great?

I don't understand some fans, I really dont

One thing I can predict with certainty is that we'll controll possession in both games. Convert our chances and we'll give one of them a battering.

I can't agree with most of this.

Okay I'll justify.
We had a lot of chances, but so did they in the last 10 so it'd be madness to day Hull were terrible.
Dicko won a lot of headers and flick ons for a man his size. Should definitely have scored at least once but he played a big part in a lot of our build up.
Lop sided play etc, get there are two camps on this one but I know which one I'm in. Not saying Ojo was fantastic but he gave an actual threat down the left hand side.
Martinez palmed one out to their winger, and another dropped at his feet and was mopped up just in front of an incoming striker. Can't get away with that all the time.

Thought we played well and could have (should have) won. Dickson was off the pace and I would have given ALF a lot longer than two minutes to make an impression. As others have said: Coady was exceptional. His ability to pick a pass is outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay I'll justify.
We had a lot of chances, but so did they in the last 10 so it'd be madness to day Hull were terrible.
Dicko won a lot of headers and flick ons for a man his size. Should definitely have scored at least once but he played a big part in a lot of our build up.
Lop sided play etc, get there are two camps on this one but I know which one I'm in. Not saying Ojo was fantastic but he gave an actual threat down the left hand side.
Martinez palmed one out to their winger, and another dropped at his feet and was mopped up just in front of an incoming striker. Can't get away with that all the time.

Edwards?

Just got back. Two thoughts to kick off with. Play like that all season and there is going to be plenty of entertainment to be had at Molineux this season. Secondly - Coady is bloody magnificent.

A bit concerned about the lack of width at times but some of our passing was at times exceptional. I didn't mind Afobe dropping deep too much, simply because virtually everything was going through him.

Martinez looks a fantastic keeper. Really impressed.

We should have won today. Equally we could have lost in the last minutes as Hull finished strongly.

On watching that, I fully expect us to finish in the playoffs as an absolute minimum.

Agreed 100%

For those clamouring for Ojo, he did nothing when he came on and didn't even bother tracking back. Early days but he needs to do more than that to earn a start.

Once again, I agree with you Bear.

On today's evidence, Ojo isn't ready for a start.

Back