• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 - 1 Hull - The Verdict Thread

Not saying Ojo was fantastic but he gave an actual threat down the left hand side.
I must have missed that then. He had one decent run up against Meyler, but checked back when he could have gone on.

Thoroughly enjoyable performance from Wolves with Kenny Jackett creating a more measured system of play based on intelligence. I thought the support play in and around the ball was first class although the players suffered physically at around the seventy minute mark due to the demands it placed on them. A bright start from which to build on.

Ojo definitely isn't there yet. I look forward to seeing Wallace there when fit. Ojo has pace to burn clearly and is the last ten minutes annihilate the right back option. But he needs to have the confidence not to check back.

I thought Iorfa and Coady were our best players. I wish Afobe would cease playing so deep as he was pretty ineffective, particularly in the first half.

I thought we were going to score in the first minute, it was certainly close! We had several chances but failed to capitalise on them. Our passing game is good, but it goes nowhere. Our strikers look a bit 'impotent'. Hull were similar.

1-1 was a fair result.

My view is we are still far too narrow. We dominated the 1st half against an average Hull team and could have been 2 up at halftime. Definite penalty imo, it seems we have decided that we cannot replace Sako so are making no effort to do so. We were crying out for width at times but seem to be shoehorning players into this narrow formation just for the sake of it. Positives Coady was much improved from Tuesday and we really could have had the game won at halftime had we been more clinical. We however have two of the best strikers in the league so how about we actually play them upfront instead of sticking poor Dave Edwards further forward than them?

A decent result and sounds like a good team performance, we could have won this but for some poor finishing. Pleased Coady is settling in and forming a partnership with Kmac, this was the biggest area of concern last season imo. Not wishing to put Hause down but from the admitedly small number of times I've seen either play, Eel is the better defender at the moment. Hope Dicko's misses don't play on his mind, although sounds like ALF should have maybe come on for him earlier, still a good start to the season.

My prediction of Wolves getting 138 points this season is now out of the window...!

I thought we played some lovely football. I know a lot of people aren't fans of playing a more narrow approach but I really enjoyed watching the way we played though the middle. With Wallace to come in and Ojo hopefully improving in his time with us I think we could have a very good side.

Coady is fantastic and I think he and McDonald could potentially be the best partnership in the league inn that position. bring on QPR!

I found it a frustrating game because our lack of width means we are trying to thread balls through the middle of the park which is congested, Afobe coming deep just compounded this. On 3 or 4 occasions we tried to lift the ball over their defence as we couldn't break them down, but Dawson and Davies are as good a ch pairing we will see this year, so perhaps we'll have more success against weaker opposition. What width we did have (pre Ojo) came from Iorfa and Golbourne neither of whom can really cross a ball (one decent cross from Iorfa aside). Golbourne worked really hard and defensively played well, but in attack he slowed things down too much, taking an extra touch or checking inside rather than whipping in the cross. He worked well as a foil for Sako, I think he needs a proper left winger in front of him rather than relying on him to provide the crosses. I think we have to play either Ojo or Van La Parra to give us some natural width or at least ask Henry to play right wing rather than right midfield.

I have no issue with Afobe coming into midfield, but today I felt he did it too much, he reminded of Rooney on one of those days when he does the same thing, I don't want him chasing the ball around like that, he'll be knackered by Xmas if he does. Speaking of which we were dead on our feet at the end, come on Kenny we need fresh legs earlier on.

Coady looks like a proper all round midfield player before they needed to be holding, passing,attacking etc. He can pass, tackle, shoot, read play he looks like a terrific acquisition

Hause had a decent game, penalty aside, Iorfa needs to learn from when he got done by Jelavic on the touchline, you can't switch off like that, glad he can learn it when it didn't cost us a goal. Martinez looked impressive, although I still think it's extremely harsh on Ikeme. You can never blame a keeper for not saving a penalty, but it wasn't the greatest

Afobe came deep but he always busted a gut to get back in the box for the same attack. No problem with him playing like that.

Up until the last 15 minutes we were much the better side and despite a lack of width at times we created more than enough chances and should have had it wrapped up. I've not seen any replays of the penalty but from where i was sitting it looked an awful decision, Hause just eased Davies out of it like defenders are told to and the ref fell for the dive.

Disappointed with Ojo when he came on and i think it needed another fresh face earlier whether that be Price or Van La Parra. Don't really understand the stick Edwards is getting, he's not playing in a familiar position yet did pretty well and makes excellent runs off the ball and his work rate when we don't have it is essential. I guess it's because most only look at what he does on the ball and i will admit as everyone knows he's not the best and doesn't look great.

Just seen the goals, while I've no problem with those penalty's being given, you see far worse at every corner/free kick not given, a bit of consistency please. Have we already had our share of "lucky" goals this season?

My wife and I were there. My belief from seeing this game is you can only play two from three in terms of Afobe, Dicko and Edwards. When Edwards wandered in to the centre, either Afobe or Dicko covered for him on the wing. Potentially what KJ means by a 'fluid formation', but I'm not convinced, as it requires discipline, and while I would trust Afobe and Dicko to be self-sacrificing, I cannot see Edwards doing the same. Edwards lost possession several times which led to quick counter-attacks, which put the whole team in trouble.

It really was a case of doing everything today to accommodate Edwards. Criminal to see Henry have to make way instead of Edwards for Ojo. When Ojo came on (15 minutes after the goal, as he was coming on just as we scored, and had to then sit down), he went left wing, and Edwards was supposed to go right wing from where he had been on the left, but it seemed that he was unable to stay in that position. Case in point was that Iorfa would make some incredible runs following this substitution, which had benefitted from having Henry moving with him to create some defence-splitting passing between them earlier in the game. When Henry went off, Iorfa had no-one to combine with, as Edwards was decidedly AWOL when the right back moved forwards.

Meanwhile, Martinez kept doing what he constantly did in his YouTube promo video - always parrying rather than catching. Looked like that the defence was already aware of this shortcoming, as they were able to kick away the loose ball every time.

Coady was immense, but agree with those that he tired drastically in the last ten minutes, and should have been replaced by Price.

And what exactly was the point of bringing La Fondre on for just the last two minutes of second half added time?

Aside from all that, a draw was probably about right. My only niggle is that we could have been so much better, and to get promoted this season we are going to have to be. We cannot play our "Best Eleven", we have to play the "Best Eleven Players in the Eleven Positions". Square pegs in round holes is a recipe for failure, and this must cease sooner rather than later.

My wife and I were there. My belief from seeing this game is you can only play two from three in terms of Afobe, Dicko and Edwards. When Edwards wandered in to the centre, either Afobe or Dicko covered for him on the wing. Potentially what KJ means by a 'fluid formation', but I'm not convinced, as it requires discipline, and while I would trust Afobe and Dicko to be self-sacrificing, I cannot see Edwards doing the same. Edwards lost possession several times which led to quick counter-attacks, which put the whole team in trouble.

It really was a case of doing everything today to accommodate Edwards. Criminal to see Henry have to make way instead of Edwards for Ojo. When Ojo came on (15 minutes after the goal, as he was coming on just as we scored, and had to then sit down), he went left wing, and Edwards was supposed to go right wing from where he had been on the left, but it seemed that he was unable to stay in that position. Case in point was that Iorfa would make some incredible runs following this substitution, which had benefitted from having Henry moving with him to create some defence-splitting passing between them earlier in the game. When Henry went off, Iorfa had no-one to combine with, as Edwards was decidedly AWOL when the right back moved forwards.

Meanwhile, Martinez kept doing what he constantly did in his YouTube promo video - always parrying rather than catching. Looked like that the defence was already aware of this shortcoming, as they were able to kick away the loose ball every time.

Coady was immense, but agree with those that he tired drastically in the last ten minutes, and should have been replaced by Price.

And what exactly was the point of bringing La Fondre on for just the last two minutes of second half added time?

Aside from all that, a draw was probably about right. My only niggle is that we could have been so much better, and to get promoted this season we are going to have to be. We cannot play our "Best Eleven", we have to play the "Best Eleven Players in the Eleven Positions". Square pegs in round holes is a recipe for failure, and this must cease sooner rather than later.

They weren't covering. That's the use of a fluid formation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. We can get promoted with these guys. Fuck it - I think we can win the division.

They weren't covering. That's the use of a fluid formation.

Whether it's covering or an intentional tactical formation, it's taking the best strike partnership in the division and making one of them go wide so Dave Edwards can go into that space. Lovely guy as he may be, i'd rather have dicko or Afobe in that area.

have to agree with a lot of the comments regarding Dicko & Afobe that their position in mainly in and around the box - don't want to see Afobe picking up the ball on half way line.
i was not too impressed with Hause and hope Baath is not too far away from selection.
Edwards is a great squad player, but currently not in starting XI

Whether it's covering or an intentional tactical formation, it's taking the best strike partnership in the division and making one of them go wide so Dave Edwards can go into that space. Lovely guy as he may be, i'd rather have dicko or Afobe in that area.

Which is predictable and what we are trying to get away from

Back