• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 - 1 Nottingham Forest - the verdict thread

Yeah, the south bank in full voice was brilliant to be amongst and the first two sections of the Billy Quiet even joined in for a while. All the rest of them could be bothered to do was turn their bloody phone lights on...here's a crazy idea, sing you fuckers, SING!

Jordan Graham was excellent last night, Iorfa, KMac, Price and Golborne put in a lot of work too but really, where were the substitutions when we needed them? You could clearly see players tiring and he made just one change and that was the wrong one!

Didn't mind the light thing - would have looked class if more people had actually done it!

KJ git his game plan spot on last night imo. Unfortunately it was only spot on for 60-70 mins, our attacking 4 were knackered and needed a couple of subs to freshen it up.

Still fuming with KJ - he gave this game away.

Watched the game in a bar where I live in Spain with a couple of other Wolves fans.
I said to my mate that KJ will bring on Afobe if Forest score, and he did but took the wrong man off, It should have been Edwards.
We missed out on the play offs last season by goal difference playing decent football, so why change.
Like a lot of people on this forum I think the games up for KJ.

I agree about the crowd, the big plus last night, even enjoyed the Barry Manilow style lights from Torch Pro.

I thought Vaughan for you stepped up his game second half and showed his experience. I didn't think he would have that much left in his locker.

Vaughan was knackered by the end but we'd have lost without him. Osbourn impresses me every game he plays. Already alegend for that last minute goal at Derby.

It got a bit niggly at times but that's all part of the entertainment.

Vaughan was knackered by the end but we'd have lost without him. Osbourn impresses me every game he plays. Already alegend for that last minute goal at Derby.

It got a bit niggly at times but that's all part of the entertainment.

That's because Mills decided he was going to kick or push anyone in a Wolves shirt, esp. in the 2nd half. I don't know how the ref allowed him such leeway, and his two-handed shove on Batth in your area was a clear penalty.

I don't mind 'niggly' but I draw the line at that kind of 'thugish'.

This is Kenny Jackett's current mindset in a nutshell:

“Le Fondre worked hard and his closing down and his workrate was very good,” said Jackett.

“He got in behind the centre halves and was unlucky in the first half with one which deflected and the keeper saved.

“I felt from the front we won the ball back more than we have done.

“It is not a big feature of ours – we don’t put pressure on defenders enough or regain possession enough in the final third.

“It is something we have been talking about and I did feel we did it better today and the crowd responded.

Ken - I do not want the job description of our most advanced players to be chasing the opposition back four and defensive midfielders around. We need quality on the ball and genuine attacking threat. Go and watch Mesut Özil play tomorrow and tell me how often he wins the ball back in the final third. Of course if we didn't give it away so much in that area because we pick crap footballers then we wouldn't need to win it back.

Ken - I do not want the job description of our most advanced players to be chasing the opposition back four and defensive midfielders around. We need quality on the ball and genuine attacking threat. Go and watch Mesut Özil play tomorrow and tell me how often he wins the ball back in the final third. Of course if we didn't give it away so much in that area because we pick crap footballers then we wouldn't need to win it back.

I can see some merit in what he's saying.

Wolves always seem to struggle to break teams down, if you can't play through a team then it doesn't seem a viable alternative to try and win the ball back high up the pitch where you end up on the ball with less of the opponents to play through.

As with anything though it needs balance, Tottenham have really nailed that big work rate high pressing this season but obviously they've got the talent to really take advantage of the problems it causes too, whereas someone like City don't really do that to any great extent but with their first choice defence they're pretty confident of winning the ball back closer to their own end and relying on their talent to go back the other way. Wolves haven't got anything like the talent, even at this level, to rely on such an approach as City but Kenny can't sacrifice too much of that somewhat limited ability in search of pure workrate.

That's because Mills decided he was going to kick or push anyone in a Wolves shirt, esp. in the 2nd half. I don't know how the ref allowed him such leeway, and his two-handed shove on Batth in your area was a clear penalty.

I don't mind 'niggly' but I draw the line at that kind of 'thugish'.

Works both ways. McDonald isnt exactly shy.

McDonald? He's got as much fight in him as an Italian soldier.

Must be referring to the studs up challenge from which the entire Forest team ensured he got booked. Not least Mills, the hypocrital nasty shit hawk.

I think it's s bit sour grapes saying Forest were "thuggish" it was just two big standard championship clubs playing a Championship style of footy.

Dodgy challenges from both sides.

I do yearn for a boss that will at 1-0 go for the jugular bring Benik on and go in to win the game, instead of consolidate defend from the back instead of the best form of defence which is goals. I mean what the hell can a person do with 8 minutes on the clock, it takes a player that long to get up to speed.

I think it's s bit sour grapes saying Forest were "thuggish" it was just two big standard championship clubs playing a Championship style of footy.

Dodgy challenges from both sides.

I didn't say Forest were 'thuggish', just some of the challenges from Mills. No sour grapes at all, just stating events as I saw them and if you don't agree then that's fine, but there is no need to start throwing insults.
I thought the challenge between McDonald and Vaughan was hard but fair from both players and no yellow card was necessary.

I didn't say Forest were 'thuggish', just some of the challenges from Mills. No sour grapes at all, just stating events as I saw them and if you don't agree then that's fine, but there is no need to start throwing insults.
I thought the challenge between McDonald and Vaughan was hard but fair from both players and no yellow card was necessary.

What insult? If you point it out I will gladly apologise.

Anyway, I didn't think Mills was overly thuggish. Just a standard championship player, which applies to almost all the players on the pitch.

I didn't think Forest were thuggish. The most cynical foul in the game was the one which got Price his yellow

Forest thuggish?? One of the smallest and weakest teams I've seen. Every set piece we looked dangerous because Graham had good delivery and Mills couldn't mark everyone!

Nelson Olivera was a right fairy and had an absolute stinker. Cold nights in December aren't for him.

Remembered something else from last night. We had a couple of corners in the last 10 minutes which Forest brought every man back for. The one player we left back was Iorfa, who's what 6ft2/3? Yes he's the full back and I know it's traditionally the full back that stays back, equally they aren't traditionally that tall. For Christs sake put him in the box and pull Golbourne or Price back

It's a conundrum Deutschy because it was an effective and impressive part of our play last night but to a man we are all massively frustrated the set up is not giving us any real advantage. I felt for Dave Edwards and James Henry because they had a right go at it and I do think we controlled midfield but the whole blend in that final third isn't happening - The responsibility of KJ, Thelwell and Moxey. We're always going to fuck up at the back and that does my head in. I wasn't bored last night like MK and I do think the SB responded to the team rather than the cameras.

Back