• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Southampton - Verdict Thread

I just read that Southampton have had 8 goals against them disallowed so far this season. I bet their fans love VAR.

Leicester have had some absolute belters go their way this season, apparently Burnley chalked off goal late on was extremely harsh.

Leicester have had some absolute belters go their way this season, apparently Burnley chalked off goal late on was extremely harsh.

And Spurs goal was supposedly a clear handball.

If ever a game deserved to finish 0-0 that was it, yet somehow the ball ended up in the net 4 times. I don't think we can complain about the two disallowed goals or the result really. It was a very poor game and neither side particularly looked like they were going to score, so no surprises that the goals came from an individual error and a penalty.

My concern is that we still don't have a coherent plan to break down an organised team. The first half was just outright poor and Gunn didn't have a save to make the whole game. Having got then equaliser you'd expect us to kick on but we never looked like we'd get a winner. Not sure why having gone 343 we then decided to play ridiculously narrow, and completely ignore the side of the pitch we'd equalised from. Which culminated in Traore playing far too close to Raul (including tackling him at one point) and Jota and Jonny offering our only width.

I've just seen that disallowed Burnley goal. It's a joke of a decision.

VAR is utter bollocks. Even if it worked properly it would still be shit.

And Spurs goal was supposedly a clear handball.

Big surprises the pundits and managers who’ve benefited the most think that VAR is terrific. Matt le Tissier thinks it’s brilliant but is fuming that our penalty was allowed to stand.

I half expected the penalty to be overturned (the way it was going) as it looked a dive from where I was, and Doherty had a interesting reaction to it being given. Saying that VAR is solely there to rule out goals (for the most part) so I'm not surprised it wasn't changed as I don't think a single penalty has been this season.

Think there's a decent case to be made for Doc being our most important player (pretty sure most of us would never have dreamed of saying that a few years back, but here we are)

If he's fit, for me he has to play. It's that simple. If Traore can fit into the team at the same time, great, but I'm not convinced. And I'm really not convinced the two of them work together, certainly not to the extent that it benefits us enough to replace Doc's attacking movement and interplay.

I've just seen that disallowed Burnley goal. It's a joke of a decision.

VAR is utter bollocks. Even if it worked properly it would still be shit.
As a huge proponent of VAR I am completely shocked and baffled that they have managed to balls it up so hard. You'd almost think they were doing shit on purpose.

With all due respect Alan, Bollocks.

It’s made for TV, that’s all they are bothered about.

With var, even if they limit it to three reviews per manager, theyre just going to save them for the goals, and hope there is some bullshit millimetre offside or some silly foul in the build up.
The offside rule needs to be updated, a few millimetres that you need a slowmo camera to see should not rule out a goal.

The issues I have with VAR regard the way an offside 40 metres from goal like today gets scrutinised and the goal chalked off when an offside 25 metres from goal at Everton doesn't get a second look and the goal stands. That said Southampton were worthy of a point so no complaints about the result.

Vallejo will have to improve a lot to be considered as a viable premier league back up. We need the Jota Raul team back and if its 343 then Doc and Jonny start with Adama up top on the right, especially against teams who come with the match up plan.

We do seem to struggle against 'streetwise' teams who are able to get soft fouls and spoil. We need to figure out a way to combat these teams.

On another day we win but not to be.

Traore seems to be less effective against defensive teams when he starts whereas Doherty seems to do better. Traore is better when we're counter attacking

40 metres? It was inside the box.

40 metres? It was inside the box.

The offside was his first touch just inside the half. The move went on Raul scored and then we had endless playbacks where his big toe was just offside. Mind you my stream was Chinese so any things possible. That's what they kept showing.

Wrong.

The offside was for his later touch inside the box. If you're going to moan about VAR at least get it right.

You can see he's clearly off from this.

a7cea69a0cb0fda0374df33f91a449f1.jpg

https://youtu.be/C7O856XSoGY

The offside was for Cutrone's touch round the corner

The ball actually looks like he's left his foot in that image.

His foot was just offside though. Shame they didn't look so closely at Everton's goal against us like they did today

The ball actually looks like he's left his foot in that image.

His foot was just offside though. Shame they didn't look so closely at Everton's goal against us like they did today
Exactly. And that's the kicker.

Definite handball, I was right inline with it. Did look like the linesman gave offside though tbf
Lineman definitely flagged for a foul on the first disallowed goal. VAR irrelevant on that one.
With all due respect Alan, Bollocks.

It’s made for TV, that’s all they are bothered about.
Seen this sort of comment a lot through the season and still can't make any sense of it. VAR doesn't improve anyone's viewing enjoyment, in the ground or on TV, the only beneficiaries are the teams who get the decision they want.

Back