• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Southampton Verdict Thread

Is that 3 games in a row for Ait Nouri now Pacamac?

Quite a few positives to take out of that but we definitely missed Coady. Need to find a way to have Conor play and be as attacking

Fair result.

Ings buries nearly all of their chances on another night particularly Walcott's second. That said we've asked a lot of questions of McCarthy so could've conceivably finished 4-4.

Wish we'd fuck off the short corners, try one or two but they weren't working so move on. Joao fucking infuriates me on direct free kicks, Bournemouth aside im not sure he's had one which has vaguely looked like going in. Happy to be corrected.

That said, Joao looked the business in the last 20 minutes and really made that goal, snapping into the tackle then playing a great pass to Raul. Raul was quiet/isolated but still had one off the post and a great header called offside.

All in all I'd have taken a point beforehand but there are still some pretty glaring cracks. I still think 4231 is where we need to be heading, how we do that with Coady I dont know/think we will.

Is that 3 games in a row for Ait Nouri now Pacamac?

Quite a few positives to take out of that but we definitely missed Coady. Need to find a way to have Conor play and be as attacking
Got no issues with Coady in a 4. Looked fine for England and his positioning has been very good. Boly’s and Kilman’s was the opposite of that tonight!

I only watched the second half.

Thought we dominated entirety of it. They had one meaningful attack in that half and scored from it.

Was scrappy at times but we created the better chances, were the more positive team even before their goal and deserved a point minimum, to be honest probably all 3.

was very surreal watching us in a back four, couple of moments you could tell they had to check before passing without Coady there but I was encouraged in general.

I also thought we looked a little sharper, which is also encouraging as we have had games where we are very sluggish

I might be the only one but, for me, the goal is Kilmans fault. No way should that ball cone across from there and Semedo isn’t expecting it. It looked like he knew it, too.

Neves and Moutinho gave to be rivalling Noble and Wilshere for the slowest midfield two in existence.

I might be the only one but, for me, the goal is Kilmans fault. No way should that ball cone across from there and Semedo isn’t expecting it. It looked like he knew it, too.

Neves and Moutinho gave to be rivalling Noble and Wilshere for the slowest midfield two in existence.
It’s everyone’s fault. Normally goals are conceded from multiple mistakes in close proximity. RAN doesn’t win the first header, then lies on the floor. If he gets up he then covers the overload at the far post. If Adam’s gets a ball in then Kilman is at the near post to clear. But that doesn’t happen so Kilman gets dragged out and doesn’t stop the cross (probably the least to blame). Semedo switches off and it’s a goal (if he’s not expecting a cross what is he doing!? He knows he switched off by his reaction).
Multitude of errors there and if anyone of them does their individual job better then there it doesn’t lead to a goal.

Last edited:
Overall I thought we should have won that. First half so'ton had most of the possession, but we had the better chances. 2nd half they created next to nothing.

I didn't think it was awful. I found it quite interesting.

Agree that RAN is a bit too reluctant to bomb on, but when he does, it looks effective.
Semedo is getting it a bit more. Think he'll turn out to be a really good addition.

I really like Semedo! Think he makes the odd weird decision but he’s very good at staying on the ball under pressure and combines well with team mates.

switched off for the goal of course but that’s been covered.

I think he's very good, and it's especially funny how bemused he looks sometimes when he and Adama get cluttered up in the same area.

I thought semedo was good tonight. I thought the centre backs were good second half (was pretty weird to be on the wrong side and then swap second half, I wonder what the thinking was). I thought Neves played well and Rui did well (including some of his distribution which was quicker than normal).

everyone else was pretty poor until the last 20 minutes, and then most of them were pretty good.

oh, and our pressing - you can’t have just two people pressing at a time else they will pass round us - Raul got the hump, understandably. Either we all press or we don’t press.

At the risk of upsetting everyone - the disallowed goal. What the hell are we doing getting caught offside? We had another offside from a freekick just a few minutes earlier so should have been prepared for Soton to hold their line.

For me that is poor coaching. A well coached team should be able to deal with things like that.

Otherwise an enjoyable game, and 9 shots on target is a great improvement.

No problem going to a back four...but a lot of the time it was more like a back two and at times Boly and Kilman played as individuals rather than a pair. I would have preferred Donck to play deeper allowing Kilman and Boly to bring the ball out of defence without leaving us unbalanced at the back.

After all this time, it was strange watching us set up this way but had Raul been on his game I think we would have been having a very different conversation. I thought he was really poor tonight. Most of the time he was neither here nor there, wasted a glorious opportunity from a free kick, carelessly caught offside from another free kick, passed the ball to the keeper with another chance...redeemed himself a little with the shot that led to the goals but otherwise just below par.

Still think we are not far away from being a very good team though, January could be interesting - a couple of useful additions could make a big difference.

Last night I was beginning to think I had watched a different game to everyone else. The last 20 minutes we played some of our best pass and move football of the season and got a deserved goal as a result. They will ultimately be glad to have got away with a point. Compare that second half with several others this season and it is right up there for me as an example of us playing to our strengths particularly the last 20 where a number of players suddenly came alive! Thankfully others also agree now.

We hear much about this evolution and last night were the first positive signs for me, that if we change our style and formation we have the personnel to make that change effectively. Semedo at RB looks miles better than Doc as a RB.RAN is raw but already compares very favourably with Vinagre ,despite a couple of errors. Kilman and Boly were the wrong way around for me last night and that nervousness in the centre coupled by Coadys absence was the source of most of our troubles against a good ,in form side. 20 shots. 9 on target. That's a real improvement for me. Viva la revolution!

Last night I was beginning to think I had watched a different game to everyone else. The last 20 minutes we played some of our best pass and move football of the season and got a deserved goal as a result. They will ultimately be glad to have got away with a point. Compare that second half with several others this season and it is right up there for me as an example of us playing to our strengths particularly the last 20 where a number of players suddenly came alive! Thankfully others also agree now.

We hear much about this evolution and last night were the first positive signs for me, that if we change our style and formation we have the personnel to make that change effectively. Semedo at RB looks miles better than Doc as a RB.RAN is raw but already compares very favourably with Vinagre ,despite a couple of errors. Kilman and Boly were the wrong way around for me last night and that nervousness in the centre coupled by Coadys absence was the source of most of our troubles against a good ,in form side. 20 shots. 9 on target. That's a real improvement for me. Viva la revolution!
This (and TSB's) reflects my thoughts about the game. In the first half, I often thought we were playing two at the back because the full-backs, particularly RAN, were so far forward all the time. I also noted the nervousness that came from Kilman being on the right and Boly on the left but Max played well and made one crucial tackle on Adams. The change in system and the subbing in of Neto changed the game. Neto has to start against Arsenal. The goal we conceded was mistake by three or four players and people have rightly criticized RAN. Indeed, in a back four, I think Marcal would have been far better. But he'll learn to toughen up and be more ambitious moving forward. I actually enjoyed the game. As a spectacle, Wolves played so much better, even though Raul wasn't at the races for 70 mins. If we had scored in the first minute flurry, I think the result would have turned out in our favour. I would also wish that Podence begin varying his shooting. He always seems to put his shots at a comfortable height for the goalkeeper to save.

A couple of things , surprised Marcal wasn't chosen in a back four especially as RAN never crossed the half way line for the first hour and Kilman needs to stop playing people onside, two or three times he did it last night, one day something like that will hurt us. Traores close control was back to its best but I do wish he'd run ten degrees to the left at the box rather than straight into the corner, all those fouls he gets would be a lot more dangerous in the box making defenders think twice.

Very good point against a bang in form Southampton team.

Created a lot more chances than we have for most games this season albeit did look quite shakey at the back on a few occasions (probably expected with playing a system we've never played under Nuno). Need to be a bit more clinical when we do create them.

At worst we adapted to having Coady and Saiss out and gained a valuable point whilst playing a different system. At best we discovered/tried out a different system that can be utilised perhaps for certain games or when situation arises during games.

I genuinely don't know what some people expect? Playing like Brazil for 95mins of every single game? (that can't be said about any team). Feel the fact we aren't there has lead to some real over critical analysis from fans post lock down.

How did you think RAN did in his third game pacamac?

The way we were naive when RAN was down injured was so frustrating, they all followed the ball and any one of Donck or Neves could have filled in at either LB or CB when Kilman went out into the LB area. You could see it coming a mile off but we just didn't react.

Raul looks like he needs a nanny to look after his newborn, he looks knackered.

Back