• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Southampton Verdict Thread

Raul looks like he needs a nanny to look after his newborn, he looks knackered.

That is a worry thought Raul looked lost and off the pace a few times last night for the second game running, which is rare for him.

There was one time when Podence ended up having the shot at the keepers near post where he was looking for options inside but Raul had left it too late to get in there (something you could usually rarely accuse him of).

I genuinely don't know what some people expect? Playing like Brazil for 95mins of every single game? (that can't be said about any team). Feel the fact we aren't there has lead to some real over critical analysis from fans post lock down.
Playing like wolves for more than 20 is what I’d expect. We were good for the last 20, poor for the first 70.

I think some people forget about the rest as soon as we score...

Playing like wolves for more than 20 is what I’d expect. We were good for the last 20, poor for the first 70.

I think some people forget about the rest as soon as we score...
And I think some people take the whole 'only good in the 2nd half' narrative too far and ignore the good things in small spells that were done. Or have unattainable expectations.

We were in no way poor for the first 70 mins.

We were the better team for the majority of the 2nd half with a few lapses at the back. Even in the first half we had a good 10 min or so spell early on (around the time of the Dendoncker chance) and a couple of decent 5 or so minute spells later on in the half.

What exactly is 'playing like Wolves' that you expect?

Prior to lock down do you think we were some fantastic forcer that played full flowing attacking football for 90mins every game? Not the case (as its not for any team playing at this level no team can be or is 100% at their best for every minute of every game).

Brighton at home
Utd Away
Newcastle at home
Watford away

Just a few examples of pre lockdown but post 2020 were we were also not 'playing like Wolves'.

Thing is, if Donck scores his chance early on we probably win, same with Podence in the second half. RAN looks a bit weak defensively but put a couple of lovely crosses in, he’s impressed me more overall than Vinagre did when he played in the last couple of seasons.

I know we were poor for the Southampton goal but they were lucky that Kilman’s initial block went straight back to Adams to put another cross in.

Thing is, if Donck scores his chance early on we probably win, same with Podence in the second half. RAN looks a bit weak defensively but put a couple of lovely crosses in, he’s impressed me more overall than Vinagre did when he played in the last couple of seasons.

I know we were poor for the Southampton goal but they were lucky that Kilman’s initial block went straight back to Adams to put another cross in.
Collectively we all switched of for the Southampton goal, and if you watch only Pod was aware that we needed cover at LB and was bombing back to try and help.
The first blocked shot would normally have been shepherded out for a corner but Adams chanced his arm am found the only gap to cross for a tap in.
As for our goal we probably had our only piece of luck as the ball went straight to Neto. Seemed that all night every deflection went to a Southampton player

I'd love a back 4 to free up more forward threat but the players we've signed have been bought as wing backs although Jonny could obviously cope. I'd like to see Traore Podence Neto behind Jimenez with Neves and Donk deep but not convinced our defenders are good enough. We don't really have the players for 2 up top either.

Could have been worse.
Brave/risky move by Nuno to throw 3 at the back out the window, but didn't harm us particularly in a one-off game. We had a few ropey moments at the back but the amount of shots/shots on target we had was a step in the right direction, even if it was predictably only Neto who could make one count. We really need to get more goals from this team, especially as we're don't seem to be able to get three points unless we get a clean sheet.

A point against a decent Soton side (without their best player) at home is fine, and we're clinging on there with the chasing pack. I think they beat us with Ings in the side, but our response to their goal was encouraging.

I feel a little unsettled watching us at the moment, as we seem a shadow of our former selves a lot of the time and our intent in games is difficult to pinpoint. We seem to have ditched something that worked (and I understand why, stagnation is a killer), but what we've replaced it with seems unconvincing. It's our tenth game next, and I would like to see the green shoots of something soon. I hope and presume Nuno is working towards something. Whether 4 at the back was an 'emergency measure' or something we can utilise in-game remains to be seen.

Having said all that, in spite of our inconsistencies, our points haul is respectable.

In terms of personnel, I'd be trying Raul / Adama / Neto for the next game. RAN looks unconvincing at the back, but you expect that at his age. He needs to learn quickly though, we don't want him to be gifting a goal/golden chance every game.

Last edited:
RAN looks unconvincing at the back, but you expect that at his age. He needs to learn quickly though, we don't want him to be gifting a goal/golden chance every game.
Needs to do his learning in the under 23s (maybe even out on loan once Ottos back) for me.

No place for passengers in this league, Marcal has to start Sunday.

No place for passengers in this league,

That's fine, but maybe tell Nuno! We were supposed to strengthen over the summer, and most of our signings are even less experienced than RAN. We can't exactly loan out a loanee either ;)

Needs to do his learning in the under 23s (maybe even out on loan once Ottos back) for me.

Would you have binned Jimenez off for missing a sitter at West Ham 3 games in, at the start of 2018/19? Can't have passengers after all.

I'd love a back 4 to free up more forward threat but the players we've signed have been bought as wing backs although Jonny could obviously cope. I'd like to see Traore Podence Neto behind Jimenez with Neves and Donk deep but not convinced our defenders are good enough. We don't really have the players for 2 up top either.
More of a concern for me if we did go to 4 at the back is that our CBs aren't suitable for it.

Again - I haven't seen the first half - but I thought RAN was fine. I think he is going to be brilliant.

The goal yes he should get up but I did think it was a foul to be honest.

The U23s aren't going to teach a first team squad player anything. They are glorifed none contact kick abouts except for the Papa Johns

Again - I haven't seen the first half - but I thought RAN was fine. I think he is going to be brilliant.

On the whole he was, don't listen to Pacamac he's like a scarecrow masturbating, he's just clutching at straws :)

If that was given as a foul nobody would have batted an eyelid.

It made me smile later in the second half when Ralph Has lost his shit when Traore muscled one of his players off of the ball having benefited from scoring from a similar incident a few minutes earlier.

RAN will be fine as a wingback and its obvious that Nuno has no doubts else he'd have picked the more cautious option in the last two games. As for the comment I've seen that he didn't leave his own half until after the hour mark that is just plain wrong. Just look at the Podence chance at the start of the 2nd half for just one example.

RAN, Hoever, Silva, Vitinha won't be consistent and steady due to their age and inexperience. We just look for improvement, learning from mistakes and contributing positives as well as errors.

If we're not willing to accept that then we have an issue with our recruitment strategy rather than the individual players IMO

I'm losing faith in Adama, if he doesn't contribute a goal or an assist he's not worth playing.

Play breaks down when he gets the ball and he's stopped passing. He reminds me of a kid on a playground - but I guess that makes him what he is.

When we're talking about passengers he's the biggest one

I really dont think we know what our best 11 collectively is yet and , with this evolution , we are not sure what style fits the personnel best yet.

Coady as a Centre back? Given his issues against muscle like Mitrovic at times in the past there will be a little nervousness. we wont know however Until we try it.I like the idea of 4-2-3-1

So back four of

Semedo, Coady, Boly, Jonny has to be the ultimate aim? Gives us Kilman Saiss RAN Marcal as cover which seems fine.

The midfield is a bit of a minefield. I don't think Moutinho and Neves works that well so If you are playing a four then in front play Donk and Neves with a licence for either to support the attack , not both. You have Saiss as defensive midfield back up too

The attacking trio

Traore, Neto, Podence- looks fine with Vinny, Moutinho as back up

Raul up top with Fabio as back up ( tbc- still havent seen enough to see if he is a lone striker in this formation.)

The most encouraging thing was 20 shots on goal 9 on target. On another day if Raul has his shooting boots , McCarthy isnt quite so quick to get up etc etc and we could have scored more.

We have not had that many attempts in any game that I can find this season so that has to be positive. You cannot rely on winning every game one nil and to do that you must make chances. We did that last night especially the last 20 minutes when Neto came on.

I don't see us moving forwards with four at the back from the outset, but hopefully the last 20 or so last night will show that in the event of us pushing for a goal, we can sacrifice one of the three and put an extra body in the final third.

Back