• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Chelsea: Verdict Thread

That is why Doherty was successful with the “under lap” when playing with Traore, he was provided a hole to gallop into. Semedo doesn’t seem to do that, he rarely goes past whoever is playing in front of him. Marcal is the same on the left.
He did it really well at one point last night, but should have shot

I've said it elsewhere (maybe on this thread) but I think Semedo is struggling with the pace of English football - but it's clear he's the attacking FB and Marcal isn't, it's the same way Doherty and Jonny played.

I would agree they were vital for three seasons, but Jota spent a lot of post-lockdown out of the team and none of us batted an eyelid. I wouldn't say we have ever been a free-scoring team: we regularly grind out 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 wins because that's our make-up. And to be honest, for the first time in my Wolves supporting career, I don't panic when we have our backs to the wall and play it out: Nuno's work on that defence is absolutely exemplary, case in point with Saiss playing it to Vitinha who played it to Neto for the goal.

That isn't me saying our current goal output is fine - of course it isn't. But some seem surprised that Moutinho/Neves/Dendoncker aren't contributing when they never really have to any great extent.
I think we certainly need Neves to find his scoring boots again. Although it's not key to how we play it's a weapon in our arsenal we need to function a lot more than it is now.

I'm sure this is paramount in Nuno's thinking as we try and evolve our play, but we can't just rely on our forwards for goals. Even Neto (by far our biggest goal threat imo) is probably not going to be prolific in a Raul sense. So either we try different personnel (do Ait Nouri and Vitinha have goals in them, for instance?) or we try and get some from whoever is playing the Donk role if that position is going to be breaking into the box more. Maybe Semedo will grab a few once he settles in.

I do think we need to look at our set plays, I have no problem with playing it short, but a corner is supposed to be our advantage and it rarely looks like it

I think Semedo has definitely had a shaky start, but also playing against Pulisic and Grealish in succession is a tough couple of games for anyone in that role

I think if you rewatch the game, you'll notice how many times there were two or three attacking Semedo, they just literally played around him and how many times do attackers find that gap to exploit between Semedo and Boly.
I know the lad was 30 mil. but he's not superhuman

L
On a different note, it was refreshing to have a game officiated properly - some good advantages from Atwell - goal line technology giving a goal correctly, and VAR ruling out a penalty that wasn’t one - for once the ref and the tech weren’t the talking points.
There goal was offside

I've been thinking (dangerous, I know!) and personally, Ruben Neves has to start in the middle if he is available. It means that Joao would become an option off the bench rather than a guaranteed starter, which is something I wouldn't have comprehended a year or so ago - but we've seen on numerous occasions that the two of them can't play together. So for me, you have to sacrifice one or the other, and I would say Neves has to play.

Look at last night - Neves was out on his feet at the end. Nuno went over to him and gave him a massive hug. Once Neves had Otasowie next to him, he ran the show. Personally, I feel like we are a better team with Neves in it. And let's not forget - he's only 23 himself, which is difficult to believe. I still think Neves has got such a massive amount of potential and the ability to improve even more. If he can just start chipping in with the odd goal here or there that would be perfect (doesn't have to be a massive thundercunt in to the top corner every time either!).

Vitinha looked excellent last night and has looked great every time he's come on, to be honest. Would like to see a lot more of him.

Playing the formation we did last night has one big advantage - options off the bench. For nearly a year now Traore's best games have been as a sub, we also have Vitinho to replace Pod, Moutinho to cover CM and good cover at wing backs. With four at the back the only proper full back we have at the moment is Marcal, the others all look better as wing backs.

I feared the worst before the game and more so when we conceded but the spirit that seemed absent at Anfield after the second goal shone through and I'm convinced the main reason was that everyone on the pitch understood their role. That said it will probably all change at Turf Moor...

No way will we move away from a back three now - everybody knows their job too well.

Big fan of Marcal, but I wonder if were reverting to this formation Aït-Nouri would be a better option, he'd have the support of Saiss beside him and seems a better attacking option

I think Nuno prefers one of his wing backs to be the more solid type - hence Jonny being a mainstay. I'd keep Marcal in and work on Semedo's attacking play in a formation that doesn't have Traore in front of him.

Wonder if KJH in for Boly will help Semedo - with Willy's injury yesterday, might found out sooner rather than later.

No way will we move away from a back three now - everybody knows their job too well.
Think it very much depends. Burnley play with two up top so me may well want to keep the back three. try and dominate the middle of the pitch more with the three too. But there will be times when it may make sense to play a back four, especially against a team who just sit off in a low block with ten defenders

Considering that Boly was dropped I was surprised that he came back in so soon . Saiss was also benched and had to wait a lot longer to be picked - and it seems to have worked .
I would pick a back three of Saiss Coady and Kilman - not too sure how that will work though . I just feel that Kilman has done very little wrong .
Great to see Otasowie doing so well and Vitinha - that's two extra real options . Nuno clearly stated last August that we need change , and that means new players , but does not have to mean a new formation .
Adama is a problem - needs a lot of work , a lot more work .
Big match now at Turf Moor - we owe them a beating after the Summer .

We need to use a back three against the so-called "big" teams imo. Hone the new tactics against smaller teams and revert to a back three for the second half if it`s all going tits up.

The problem with Hoever replacing Boly would be lack of height defending set plays, we've looked a bit vulnerable lately a few times and we'd only really have Saiss and Donk/Otasowie with any height, especially without Raul

Back