• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Chelsea: Verdict Thread

Otasowie has got that “Pogba” style where he never looks like he is putting in any effort. I am pretty sure he was told just to be in the right places and try to do the right thing which is what he largely did. I am glad something was wrong with Dendoncker because that was not him out of form, he barely resembled a footballer.

A deserved win against a decent side who we basically nullified when they were on top and exposed them when we were on top.

Funny old game, isn’t it?

We could have beaten Villa at the weekend and got thrashed tonight and no one would have been too surprised with that & we’d have been in the same position in the table. But there’s something about beating one of the ‘big’ clubs that just lifts everyone and everything.

It was a performance today that we’ve got used to seeing over the last couple of seasons, but for whatever reason have been missing for large chunks of this season.

We looked more comfortable going back to the three at the back system. And the standard gameplay of being cautious in the first half, more expansive in the second half (although the first 10 minutes of the second half were poor) & hitting them on the break when we could worked well.

Love Podence & Neto - those two are brilliant. Neto’s goal was a thing of beauty (and really enjoyed Saiss/Vitinha’s involvement in it).

Coady did well tonight and got stuck in on Giroud a few times. Boly the weakest of the back three (again!) & could/should have done much better for their goal.

Osatowie did well when he came on & I thought he & Neves formed a promising partnership, but as I mentioned in the match day thread, I’m not sure exactly how much we’ll get to see of him with all of Neves/Moutinho/Donk fit. Promising performance though.

Fabio had some nice touches this evening and he’s a clever player - but he’s just lacking half a yard of pace IMO. I reckon he’ll come good but he just seems a bit sluggish over the first few yards. I like him though & reckon it won’t be long before he gets his first goal for us.

Great result though. Well done to Nuno and the lads!

For what it's worth I don't think Neto dived, Kante knocked him off balance with a nudge in the back before he got into the box and his legs were all over the place, the replays only went back that far once or twice which made it look a lot worse than it was. The slow mo from behind showed clearly he was never going to keep his balance running at that pace.
I agree, not a pen but not a dive, in fact I think there is some contact from James thigh on Neto's trailing leg, probably not enough for a pen though.
I was proper pissed off when comms mentioned the only yellow card for simulation this season is Traores, which actually should have been a pen...when you consider the antics of the likes of Grealish, Salah, Zaha etc

Fabio was a real bright spot for me- the inexperience showed when he was caught offside with his run and shot, but the fact that that run was even happening showed off the intelligence of his movement. He'll be quite something soon.

Reactions: b3h
I've said before that IMO, Dendonker is not good enough for what we ask him to do.

I've said before that IMO, Dendonker is not good enough for what we ask him to do.
He's not on it at the moment - he's struggling with the basics which his game is based on. At his best he's a valuable asset to the squad.

I wonder whether he's been carrying a knock which has been impacting his performances.

Fabio was a real bright spot for me- the inexperience showed when he was caught offside with his run and shot, but the fact that that run was even happening showed off the intelligence of his movement. He'll be quite something soon.
A seconds delay on that run was all it needed to keep him onside - the goal would then have been given.

He's shown enough intelligence and movement to come good, but does need games and a bit more maturity to fulfil what he can be.

He just needed to hold that run slightly longer but it was inexperience. He'll grow the more games he gets and did well against a tough opponent in Thiago Silva tonight. I imagine he'll be another one who will beef up over the coming months in the same way Neto has.

"Pedro Neto's strike, at 94 minutes 39 seconds, was the latest winning goal scored in a Premier League game against Chelsea since Opta began recording exact timings in 2006-07"

I thought Fabio looked very good today, just not strong enough yet.
Yeah he got pushed off the ball a few times, tbf thats the first time I'noticed it, think we need to persevere with him, the rest of his game looks very good

Yeah he got pushed off the ball a few times, tbf thats the first time I'noticed it, think we need to persevere with him, the rest of his game looks very good

I think there is zero chance Nuno and his staff will give up on him. He reminds me a lot of Neto this time last year - plenty of promise and a footballing brain, just a bit weak at the moment.

Neto should have been booked but he went over expecting contact. James had snapped in with a challenge and his foot was extremely close to making contact. Neto saw it coming and went over. He gambled and lost. Sometimes you get unlucky like that, same with Coady and Mane last weekend.

Oh and If Silva waits another second to make his run the defender is alongside him and it wouldn't have been an easy finish. The replay showed it would have been tight to get to the ball first if he'd have made a run which was onside IMO.

I've been waiting for Otasowie to make his PL debut and I thought he was tremendous. That moment where he outmuscled Mount who had to foul him and get a yellow was brilliant. I'll have a little punt that by the end of the season Neves and Otasowie is the first choice midfield pairing

Any news on Boly, Traore and Donck in terms of injuries?

Back