• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Villa: Verdict Thread

As I say twice a season, Villa is the game I want to win more than any other, so absolutely delighted.

Fabio's best game in a Wolves shirt by a country mile, his physicality was really impressive, but you can't watch that game and not make Moutinho MOTM he was sublime apart from that 20 mins in the first half when we just needlessly sat back.

Don't want to be too negative, but Podence and Trincao are an embarrassment with the diving. It's pathetic. Bruno should have a word
Whether it was the right thing to do or not is debateable, but it was clearly a tactical plan to sit off them. They didn’t really press us much either with the outside midfielders covering Trincao and Podence rather than asking questions of Moutinho and Donck.

That allowed the midfield two to thrive, mainly Moutinho who was combative, good on the ball, everything. We aren’t getting a better player than him for less than £30m so paying him £150k a week for 2 years would still be exceptional business (he’d probably accept equal terms for one year but just putting that out there for arguments sake).

Podence was really pissing me off. And everyone moaning around me about them not putting it out. They’re not going to when their 2-0 down and nothing happened! Need them both to cut that shit out, diving is one thing but staying down injured when you’re not (Podence) is going to hurt us. It already had this season already

You don't think Dendoncker and Moutinho played well?
Moutinho yes, Donck was his usual (didn't win it, didn't lose it).

But neither do the things Neves can do and we absolutely miss him when he doesn't play. Evidently, that doesn't preclude us from winning, although it helped that Villa weren't at all interested in being defensively sound during the first half.

But neither do the things Neves can do and we absolutely miss him when he doesn't play. Evidently, that doesn't preclude us from winning, although it helped that Villa weren't at all interested in being defensively sound during the first half.
Incredibly harsh on donk IMO

That wasn't a typical Dendoncker performance, he wasn't restricted purely to running up and down the inside right channel, he actually played like a central midfielder for a change.

Today Neves was definitely not a miss, Wolves competed perfectly fine in midfield with the two who played in there, they were rarely found wanting in any aspect of their play. They doesn't mean Neves couldn't perhaps have bought something else to the table but considering people acted like the sky was falling in when he got injured it was nice to see the other two cope just fine. If you didn't know otherwise and someone told you that was Wolves' first choice midfield through the recent years of relative success then you wouldn't question it for a minute.

Incredibly harsh on donk IMO
I'm one of Dendonckers biggest critics, but apart from the poor miss he was genuinely good today. Even beat a man with some mad skillz...

I'm one of Dendonckers biggest critics, but apart from the poor miss he was genuinely good today. Even beat a man with some mad skillz...
Credit where credits due. If we are comparing donk to neves then Ofcourse fair point. I thought he and mout played very well today.

A lot of positives from the less fancied players stepping up today

I criticised Donk half time but he played well second half to be fair. The whole team to a man played well. Fabio`s best game in a Wolves shirt. Never a penalty. Against Leeds the decision went with the goalkeeper, this week it went with the outfield player. Fortunately we won or it could have got really ugly at the end of the match.

I criticised Donk half time but he played well second half to be fair. The whole team to a man played well. Fabio`s best game in a Wolves shirt. Never a penalty. Against Leeds the decision went with the goalkeeper, this week it went with the outfield player. Fortunately we won or it could have got really ugly at the end of the match.
Didn’t think of the comparison to Raul Leeds - decent point

and to top it off I read that trains to Brum have been sent back to Wton after they started playing up.
Villa fans annoyed when the train manager said Mind the Gap?

Doubling the B6 massive is a very satisfactory state of affairs.

Referee an abomination.

Fabio superb, a proper number 9 performance that I loved to see. Keep up the standard golden child!

Comfortable win. Should have been 6.

Tactic to just sit off Mings and let him hoof the ball to us worked well. Then just exploit their gaping holes. Basically a slightly more disciplined Leeds with better players. They Offered nothing first half except for the hit from range which Sa dealt with and we had countless chances.

Second half was largely comfortable apart from the Watkins chance out of nowhere (I thought he was offside live) and then a nothing penalty gives them a lifeline. Sa otherwise claimed crosses and got punches, made the save from the other Watkins chance and generally stopped chances before they developed. Save at the end is massive too.

Not sure about that. Sa bailed us out several times and more often that not if you allow a forward of Watkins’ quality two 1 on 1’s you’ll normally concede at least once.

I don’t disagree that we should definitely have scored more than two goals ourselves, though,

Great result given who we were missing, always good to get the win against them, and so much more important to get back to winning ways.

If we dont make 7th and europe it will be a dissapointment, and given what we were expecting at the beginning of the season that really is saying something.

They're all Villa in the Bham office, shame there's no reason for me to pop in this week, unless....

Moutinho was superb today. I'd take 4 more years of him, never mind 2. What a fantastic footballer.

I'm not sure I'll be at another home game, I'll miss moutinho if he does go, and I've a feeling he will.

He's been amazing for us, and so lucky to have seen him play for little old Wolverhampton

Not sure about that. Sa bailed us out several times and more often that not if you allow a forward of Watkins’ quality two 1 on 1’s you’ll normally concede at least once.

I don’t disagree that we should definitely have scored more than two goals ourselves, though,
Im very sure Jinks. Both Watkins chances were 2nd half when first half two or three half chances should have Martinez working , especially Dendonkers strike, a couple of chances after Watkins 2nd chance should also have been buried especially Hwangs sitter. So yes we should have been out of sight mate.

Im very sure Jinks. Both Watkins chances were 2nd half when first half two or three half chances should have Martinez working , especially Dendonkers strike, a couple of chances after Watkins 2nd chance should also have been buried especially Hwangs sitter. So yes we should have been out of sight mate.
Sa made a few important saves, and that one on one forces Watkins to attempt that finish. Shows the value of having a very good keeper.

His save from cash doesn’t get enough credit.

Was I comfortable in the ground? Absolutely not. But a neutral wouldn’t have thought we were in danger until the shit penalty. We should have been out of sight before that!

From memory the chances for Watkins came from a transition from a shit refereeing or players losing the ball, then the last 5 of putting in the mixer (from shit refereein). They really didn’t work any chances from possesion.

A word on Dendonker.

Let’s not forget the guy starts for Belgium in central midfield with the likes of Tielemans and DeBruyne. They rate him that highly.

Ok, he’s not Ruben Neves - but not many are.

What he doesn’t possess in natural flair and passing, he more than makes up for with determination, hard work and loyalty. Popular with his team mates too.

Some of you might be younger than me and haven’t had the pleasure of watching players like Darren Ferguson turn up, overweight, do fuck all and steal a living.

So let’s give the guy a bit of credit, cut him some slack and be grateful that he’s a big part of the best midfield we’ve seen in probably 40 years.

A word on Dendonker.

Let’s not forget the guy starts for Belgium in central midfield with the likes of Tielemans and DeBruyne. They rate him that highly.

Ok, he’s not Ruben Neves - but not many are.

What he doesn’t possess in natural flair and passing, he more than makes up for with determination, hard work and loyalty. Popular with his team mates too.

Some of you might be younger than me and haven’t had the pleasure of watching players like Darren Ferguson turn up, overweight, do fuck all and steal a living.

So let’s give the guy a bit of credit, cut him some slack and be grateful that he’s a big part of the best midfield we’ve seen in probably 40 years.
Having a regular in the Belgium national team as your third choice centre mid is not to be sniffed at.

Back