• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-2 Newcastle Utd: Verdict Thread

The aftermath of McGhee watching Euro 96 and thinking "wing backs are good".

-----------------Stowell-------------------

------Popovic----Richards---Venus-------

Smith----Thompson---Osborn---Corica---Froggatt

-------------Bull-----Roberts----------------

Took him months to work out we were mustard away with playing on the break but absolute piss at home.
Some physical dominance in that midfield, and that was the 90s! That'd be powderpuff now.

Popovic ended up having a decent UK career, we should have signed him, would have been free/buttons.

Always thought it was FranCk.
It is, just in the mid 90s we couldn't deal with foreign names

Think they'd just signed Vialli (huge deal at the time, just captained Juve to winning the CL, the heyday of Serie A on Channel 4 when it was still probably the best league in the world) and I was disappointed he didn't play.

Lot of talk around that time that McGhee wanted to sign Mark Hughes but it never happened.

I very much appreciated his choice of "diplomatical" in place of "politically correct". 😂

The aftermath of McGhee watching Euro 96 and thinking "wing backs are good".

-----------------Stowell-------------------

------Popovic----Richards---Venus-------

Smith----Thompson---Osborn---Corica---Froggatt

-------------Bull-----Roberts----------------

Took him months to work out we were mustard away with playing on the break but absolute piss at home.
Tommo in CM, must have wiped that from my memory :confused:

Couple/few/several has got to be a weird one for non-native speakers.

Had everyone really watched loads of Bournemouth?
Meant to reply to this yesterday but never had the time to reply properly.

I genuinely had. Two in person, West Ham (awful game) and Tottenham (freak win where shit just happened) as my friend is a Bournemouth fan and I tagged along. . Obviously our games with them too and then quite often if they were the game on or a 3pm kick off when we weren't playing I watched them, mainly so I could just give my mate shit about how bad they were. He found it absolutely hilarious that we had appointed him (as I was equally shocked). So I think that is why my reaction to his appointment was so strong.

I had them, alongside with Forest, as two awful teams who just happened to stay up due to how Leicester and Leeds self-sabotaged and with a lot of luck. They spent a lot in the January window and managed to continue to look just as bad.

Couple that with the embarrassing way in which the Lopetegui situation played itself out (he has plenty of blame to take for that too), and it's just such a mess of the situation. Then within the first six games he manages to look out of his depth at times in several of the games (Brighton, Palace, Luton, Ipswich, Liverpool in a way). If we'd lost to Luton, City and Villa he wouldn't be here. But he got 5 points, and is seemingly managing to build on that too, so fair play to him. Importantly, he seems to have the players on board (helps when your coach actually wants to work with you, for sure).

I don't really have an issue with anyone being quite bullish after the last 5 games just as someone like myself was so worried after the first five, as it's a football forum, we support this team and it doesn't actually matter what we think anyway!

You make it sound like you've said hello to him more than once after that?

I went to the testimonial and probably have the programme signed by both teams somewhere up the loft.
Only one more time after that after a Blur gig in 2009 I think.

Back