• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-2 Villa

I've spoken to a work colleague that went, he says similar, awful first half, could have been dead and buried.

Better second half when the players seemed to be more used to the system, it's a brave strategy from Jackett as you'd think it's the formation he's gonna go with as he played it last night.

Could all end in tears fan wise.

Yet it's more than any other midfielder and you have no proof that we'd score more if someone else was playing instead.

Of course there's no proof, but as Jonny says, Sako got a lot more last season - and my view is that with dicko and afobe being so lethal, someone with creative ability would be able to set up more than six additional goals for them than Edwards.

I don't understand where the "Edwards as Sako" replacement has come from apart from the Express & Star? No where has Jackett said that word-for-word: in fact all I've heard from him is how we're keen to sign a replacement and Edwards' goals could have a key part to play, which I don't disagree with.

I don't understand where the "Edwards as Sako" replacement has come from apart from the Express & Star? No where has Jackett said that word-for-word: in fact all I've heard from him is how we're keen to sign a replacement and Edwards' goals could have a key part to play, which I don't disagree with.

:icon_Red-Card:, Far too much commonsense in that statement.

Good two well taken goals from us. Though Iorfa looked just off for the first.

Shite defending really for theirs. Especially Stears going through his legs.

I thought it was a flat 4-4-2 tbh (or 4-4-1-1). Any irregularities with the formation were down to Edwards' deficiencies as a winger and his team mates adjusting to cope with that. He plays in exactly the same way when he gets shunted out onto the right wing.

Henry was just as ineffective - I think it's incredibly harsh to lay all the blame for the formation not working solely on Dave Edwards.

Edwards played in Sako's place last night, Coady was in for Price and the rest of the team was more or less the same as it finished at the end of last season.

Henry was just as ineffective - I think it's incredibly harsh to lay all the blame for the formation not working solely on Dave Edwards.

I don't think people are blaming Edwards, more that he's been shunted into a position he can't play. Really it's the piss poor recruitment post Sako that is the problem.

Edwards played in Sako's place last night, Coady was in for Price and the rest of the team was more or less the same as it finished at the end of last season.

I don't think people are blaming Edwards, more that he's been shunted into a position he can't play. Really it's the piss poor recruitment post Sako that is the problem.

Whichever way you look at it, it's criticism of Edwards though - and it's not wholly deserved. He gets way too much of it.

However I can't disagree with the sentence in bold - and I'm not suggesting Edwards is in any way the answer in that role, nor even in a central role as there are better players ahead of him. I just find the constant criticism of him OTT.

I think the main reason for the criticism of Edwards is that many fans feel that he should have been moved on by now (myself included). As a result of this his good performances tend to get swept under the carpet and his bad performances get highlighted.

I wasn't at the game so can only go by you lot saying Edwards was on the left, but we should not be finding ourselves in a situation where we are picking Edwards on either wing. If he is getting in the team, it should be playing behind the striker but even then he should be a back up option.

The observations of our possible new formation are worrying, as is the lack of wingers at the club.

Successive managers have selected Edwards. So they must see something in him. And he does have the knack of popping up to score goals.

It doesn't really mean anything, successive England managers picked Glen Johnson but it didn't mean he understood the basics of positioning.

Edwards' goal scoring is overstated, he got six last season and that is comfortably his best ever tally at this level (previously he had never scored more than three in any season in the Championship). For someone who effectively plays as a second striker a lot of the time and plays plenty of games that is not very good, it's about the same rate as Neil Emblen used to score at.

Dave Edwards: 229 Appearances and 29 goals.

Back