• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - Charlton 1 the first home win of many verdict thread

I sat in the North Bank yesterday and saw the game from a different perspective and I liked Hause and EEL as a pairing. As well as having a good match they are bloody huge!

Dicko and Afobe were like 2 different players yesterday and did very little. I did like Dicko's dink over the defender's head and cross over the face of the goal in the first half but would have liked to see Afobe on the end of it

Thought we deserved the win. Charlton were awful, did we make them look that way? Perhaps.

Much more solid, despite Doherty's best efforts. Thought Hause and EEL were excellent and Golbourne much sharper.

Ikeme. Ugh. What a cock up and kicking diabolical too. Poor 5

Doherty. Beaten for pace as per usual. Did supply an assist but doesn't mask an otherwise poor performance. 5

Hause. Really like him. Comfortable in possession and strong. He's a bit raw at times but I feel we have a hugely promising player here. 7

EEL. Surprised me. Very strong and comfortable. More of a defender than footballer but thought he did well 7

Golboune. Energetic and industrious. 7

Edwards. Tireless as ever. Industrious, scored again and liked his captain's role, talking to Doherty when his mistake was made. He will always divide opinion but 2 goals and 2 assists says it all. Well done. 7.5

Henry. As good a first half as I've seen him have. Looks half a yard quicker and far sharper than last year. 8

Kmac. Hmm. Poor.Inaccurate passing and rightly hauled off 5

Coady. Quiet game did nothing of note. Could do with switching play far quicker 6

Dicko and Afobe. The McCain twins. Dicko's attitude hasn't been right all season and Afobe was piss poor. Far too deep on occasions. 5

Ojo- did very well. Crosses nicely into the danger area and has real pace 7.5

Alf- a pest. Seemingly up to speed and took his goal really well 7.5

Crowd. subdued

Talking to a Charlton fan on the train home - he thought kmac played well! Needless to say I disagreed with him!

Just remembered another Doherty special where in the space of five seconds he a) played everyone onside, b) left his man in 20 yards of space and c) proceeded to kick the ball out of Ikeme's hands and across the six yard box. Spectacular scenes.

I noticed with Doherty, he rarely looks across the line when the opposition are attacking to see if he's playing people on.

He played two or three Charlton forwards onside for a forward pass in the first half because he was a yard behind everyone else ball watching. Luckily the pass was poor.

EEL spent more time at right back in the 1st half than Doherty did. He was constantly caught upfield which resulted in him frequently at centre half instead of in his proper position. Happened for most of last season when he played too, was impressed by EEL as a result.

EEL looked solid, apart from his distribution. Laucnhing balls forward in the direction of no Wolves players on several occasions. Hause was a little better in this regard apart from one really bad diagonal one in the first half.

Agreed, at one point he made a couple of good tackles in the RB area (surprise surprise) then moved forward with the ball only then to spanner it straight out of play. I think they both have plenty of potential but as part of a promotion chasing team might be a bit of a stretch for them.

I don't think Afobe was anywhere near as poor as people have made out. Nor Doherty and I have been fairly critical of him in the last, though I still rate Iorfa as the better player.

McDonald clearly wasn't fit, and I think that affected Coady. DW's assessment of Edwards is spot on. In a 442, there really shouldn't be any room for him in the team. Even in his favoured position he isn't that effective. But good on him for sticking at it and getting the goal after nearly fluffing. Also missed an absolute sitter which would have given him a second on a short space of time. Have to say his tackling has improved this season too.

I thought the CH pairing were decent. I'm really starting to like EEL and I rate Hause. They got caught out in a few occasions but this will have been a good experience, playing together in an important league game and importantly, winning it!

I'll go Henry MOTM, with Le a Fondre not far behind. He was superb, not just the poacher people make him out to be. The difference between him and Dicko yesterday was astonishing.

EEL looked solid, apart from his distribution. Laucnhing balls forward in the direction of no Wolves players on several occasions. Hause was a little better in this regard apart from one really bad diagonal one in the first half.

Nothing bad.. Batth has been doing that for a couple of seasons and we all love the Brierley Hill basher

Just remembered another Doherty special where in the space of five seconds he a) played everyone onside, b) left his man in 20 yards of space and c) proceeded to kick the ball out of Ikeme's hands and across the six yard box. Spectacular scenes.

That was Doherty's fault at all. He nicked the ball for us and carried on his run forward but Kmac gave the ball away. At that point Edwards was covering him and instead of filling in for Doherty like he should have he didn't and so we ended up without a right back while they were attacking and obviously they saw that. Doherty actually did well to get back and he definitely didn't play them onside.

That was Doherty's fault at all. He nicked the ball for us and carried on his run forward but Kmac gave the ball away. At that point Edwards was covering him and instead of filling in for Doherty like he should have he didn't and so we ended up without a right back while they were attacking and obviously they saw that. Doherty actually did well to get back and he definitely didn't play them onside.
Spot on

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Not really done a full verdict on yesterday but will do now. Like i said i think we deserved to win in the end although both sides were pretty poor.

Ikeme - Didn't have a lot to do but made another mistake for their goal and you can see why KJ wanted another keeper.

Doherty - Don't really rate him and think Iorfa is a better right back but i could understand him coming in and he did well. Made one mistake which really should have lost us the game but he got away with it, apart from that he was solid and went forward well which led to him crossing the first one for Edwards.

EEL - Defended well even when pulled wide a couple of times, distribution is not great but solid defensively.

Hause - I'm seeing something in him that from what i can see a lot of others aren't. He's a good defender and very comfortable with the ball, he's going to be very good. Probably should have scored in the second half but headed it back across goal.

Golbourne - Like the rest of the back 4 did well and came forward better. Linked well with Ojo for the winner where he was in space for a decent period of time before we switched it to him.

Henry - The most creative player for us and probably should have done better with a chance in the first half but Afobe's pass to him wasn't great. Looked like he was playing for something.

McDonald - Far too slow at moving the ball and was really ineffective, game changed when he went off.

Coady - Better than McDonald but not by a lot, really struggled to impose himself on the game

Edwards - Great energy and work rate and pops up in great positions to score and should have had 2. Technically was awful at times though but looked much better when he went in the 2 next to Coady and made one really good defensive block.

Afobe - He's much better than this, just seemed to be so ineffective and did not seem to want to get in the box or he was too deep to get there.

Dicko - Not the Dicko we are used to seeing, didn't work that hard and didn't have the energy that he usually has. Definitely bottled the challenge when he got injured but it didn't look good. Also had an argument with KJ just before half time.

Subs:

ALF - Changed the game along with Ojo, did everything we needed from him. Made runs to make the centre backs uncomfortable and held the ball up well. Excellent finish and could have had another. Also worked back well and nicked the ball back a few times.

Ojo - Didn't play wide but having him on the left side of the narrow 4 enables him to come wide if he wants to and he's a threat. Comfortable on the ball and his low crosses are dangerous.

Wallace - Didn't have long but looked comfortable on the ball when he got it.

Overall it was just one of those games where both teams were poor but we had the quality to come off the bench and change it and that's what happened.

Back