• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - 3 Fulham (lost 5-3 on pens): The FA Cup 3rd round replay Verdict Thread.

Why should I have to defend a young Wolves player who gives his all every game he plays You can't wait to criticise him What is your problem

You do know everybody has the right to an opinion? DW is not the only poster who thinks Doherty is crap, read the rest of people's posts. He may give his all but that's not good enough at professional level. It is no coincidence our fortunes at the back have turned around without him at RB. He's a poor defender, maybe he could get a different position as technically he's pretty good.

Iorfa is one big reason we have tightened up at the back. Im not going to go off on one with Doherty but he concedes too much ground and cant get back when out of position, Iorfa if he makes a mistake can get back in and defends crosses miles better then Doherty.

That's fair Quirk. I think his biggest problem outside of his lack of athleticism is his speed of thought, or lack of it. His decision making and forcing opponents to make decisions are poor at this level and his indecision on both parts makes him poor.

Iorfa is one big reason we have tightened up at the back. Im not going to go off on one with Doherty but he concedes too much ground and cant get back when out of position, Iorfa if he makes a mistake can get back in and defends crosses miles better then Doherty.

Absolutely. It's not even a contest.

Why should I have to defend a young Wolves player who gives his all every game he plays You can't wait to criticise him What is your problem

He plays, I observe. That's the way it works isn't it? If you actually bothered to read what I posted I was actually defending him from other people blaming him for our defeat tonight as missed penalties happen. Not calling him out as a scapegoat, quite the opposite in fact.

I have been watching him on and off for four years or so and I happen to think he's a pretty terrible footballer. I can back that up with plenty of examples of him costing us goals just down to fundamental flaws in his technique and positioning. I don't want him in the team as I think he severely weakens us and greatly increases the chances of us letting goals in. I'm sure he does give his all - I don't think I've ever questioned his effort. I do however think he is way short of the quality required at this level. You happen to disagree and appear to have some kind of vested interest in quelling any criticism of him (and I suspect I know why that is) - fine. That's up to you. It's going to get pretty tedious though if you insist on posting "LEAVE MATT ALONE!!!1111!!" every time his name comes up in passing and he isn't showered with praise.

This is a reasoned response and of course I respect your opinion

This is a reasoned response and of course I respect your opinion

Anyone can have a reasoned opinion but defending him by saying he's crap in the same sentence What's your agenda

Wolves 3 (3) - 3 (5) Fulham: The "Off With Their Hands!" Verdict Thread.

How did McAlinden play, in the first half?

Wolves have conditioned me over the last decade to not care about cups, so although I never like us to lose I'm not that bothered to be honest. What I am bothered about is the affect that 120 mins in difficult conditions may have on the 7 players who are likely to start on Saturday, when playing against a team that hasn't had a game.

Anyone can have a reasoned opinion but defending him by saying he's crap in the same sentence What's your agenda
He is saying, that although everyone knows what his view is of Doherty, he does not blame him for this defeat. Other than being young (which he isn't really in the context of our overall squad, 7 of the squad of18 were younger on Sunday) and trying, what do you believe his qualities are?

Wolves have conditioned me over the last decade to not care about cups, so although I never like us to lose I'm not that bothered to be honest. What I am bothered about is the affect that 120 mins in difficult conditions may have on the 7 players who are likely to start on Saturday, when playing against a team that hasn't had a game.

Ice baths all around!

Very flat first half and if we'd gone in 3-0 down, I'd have had no complaints.

Second half, with the addition of Edwards and Dicko, was a totally different game. We created chance after chance and totally controlled the game. Unfortunately as soon as as we took the lead we have them a goal with their only attack of the half. It look as if the cross took a deflection hence why it wasn't given for offside.

I can't tell you about the third goal because no-one at the North bank end could see the ball go in the net.

I'd like to see the penalty at the end as it looked like Evans tried to catch the ball.

After a poor first half it was a really entertaining cup tie.

Couple of pictures.

e86042ebc0a2d2d41d47e18e9217f530.jpg

0e5894134d9811f88d1cbff0e024d4e9.jpg

How did McAlinden play, in the first half?

"He didn't" would probably be an apt reply but in his defense, it didn't sound like anyone else did either in the first half. Hopefully he wasn't put on the wing...

Dan doesn't have an agenda. He's a great believer that a defender should be able to do the basics of defending. Being a great attacker should be a small part of his skill.
Full back is a very important position in a team and if you allow the winger too much space to cross or don't have the basic speed to recover when you make a mistake then you shouldn't be playing there.
I thought DW was quite supportive of Doherty in his initial post and if you think he goes over the top in his criticism them look up some of his posts when Zubar played for us! It's a similar situation, pretty good at driving forwards but then can't get back and do his proper job... Iorfa on the other hand can do both extremely well.
As for being out for the cup? Meh

It was a great cup tie for me, although I was just following Wolfie and Parkin and Twitter. I was shouting and cheering at the Pc all the second half.

Seems an unlucky penalty decision, and as soon as it went to penalties i kinda new what would happen. After Flum got their goals back so quickly it seemed to be their night.
I wasn't worried about the final result as pens are always a lottery, but it might surprise some of you to know that i won't be too upset if we just miss out on promotion this season.

I think if we go up, we will be a few players short of making it in the prem, so i would rather a good season in the chumps to continue building the side and for the kids to gain experience, rather than a weekly tatering in the prem.

Next season however, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! go wolves!

Pav, the thing about promotion is the money it provides. Staying in the Premier League is neither here nor there. It did them up the road no harm yoyo-ing for a few years as the multi millions it brought in helped them establish themselves in the top flight. Promotion is a good thing no matter what the following season brings but that's just my opinion

I am disappointed that we are out of the cup. We are long overdue a decent cup run. Next year maybe.

Pav, the thing about promotion is the money it provides. Staying in the Premier League is neither here nor there. It did them up the road no harm yoyo-ing for a few years as the multi millions it brought in helped them establish themselves in the top flight. Promotion is a good thing no matter what the following season brings but that's just my opinion

Darlo you're right , and that's how i normally think, but right now, with so many kids in the side looking good for a great future, i worry that a season of getting mauled might seriously affect them for years to come.

You can't pick and choose when you get promoted.

As I said last week, no parachute money (as is the case after this summer) = having to sell the best of these young players anyway so we can fund squad building.

you are all making total sense, but the hairs on the back of my neck still won't lay down.

I just feel that unless we add a couple of senior players before we get promoted, we will get some serious thrashings before they can bed in, and i really believe if we can keep this side together for another season, they will really move on. The team spirit is great, KJ is showing tactical nouse, and turning around the bad run was a sure sign of this, but I think we need to turn our play into more goals, and add some smarts on the pitch during the game.

Saying that i kinda feel VLP will start bursting the sprout bag on a regular basis now he's broken the ice.

Back