• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - Fulham 0. Another solid performane verdict thread

Totally agree Jase. We killed that game and there was no way Fulham were getting a sniff second half. Just got to keep doing it and hope someone fucks up.

Really solid performance tonight albeit against a very poor Fulham side. The game was won by half time and the 2nd half was very professionally handled by us. I did wonder myself with about 10 minutes left whether or not we'd had a free kick the whole game band it seems the stats bare that out. Probably goes to show how comfortable we were throughout. Shocking stat from a Fulham perspective however.

Even allowing for the fact that we were playing teams in the bottom half of the table you can't ask for much more than 8 goals and 2 clean sheets. Job done, on to Cardiff and yes, we can only keep winning our games.

There was a brief spell where Price on the right (no E&S style pun intended) wasn't working that well, mainly because Flum started to use the space out there but whenever they cut back in (struggled to get beyond Iorfa so crosses were not an option) they created nowt apart from one golden chance with a smart quick passing move and Mr £11m should have scored.

Thought we were sharp going forward in the first half. Such great link up between Sako - Afobe - Dicko. 2nd half was a non event really as we shut the game down.

Few things from last night. I thought Danny Batth was immense last night and very rarely wasted a ball on a clearance or coming out of defence. Tommy K was controlling his area and is growing with each game. Stearman made one block last night that almost snapped his leg.

It's gutting to think what the table minus the horror show of November would look like. Still, another great result and whilst the enormous gap beneath us is good news, we are in a bit of a no-man's land with regard to above us too. Whatever happens against Cardiff, we'll still be in 8th!

With hindsight November now looks like a freak set of fixtures. 4 of the 5 games we lost were against teams now in the Top 7 and the other was against a Forest side who showed up for a game when they didn't bother for the 2 months beforehand nor afterwards. If those games had been spread over the season with the same results (not some of the scorelines though) then nobody would have batted an eye.

I know Deutsch will pull me apart for this, but I do think to finish 6th we'll need 80 points given our goal difference. Norwich and Watford's current ppg ratio would get them to 82 and Brentford's 81 so with 80 I'm still suggesting two teams will have to drop their average for us to get there

It's gutting to think what the table minus the horror show of November would look like. Still, another great result and whilst the enormous gap beneath us is good news, we are in a bit of a no-man's land with regard to above us too. Whatever happens against Cardiff, we'll still be in 8th!

That could be a positive though, going in a few games with no pressure as there's no chance of moving either way, just have a real go at the game with nothing to lose.

Thanks- nice solid all round win. Its in our hands with games to come at home to Derby Ipswich and Watford. There is your nine point gap.I know it doesnt work that way but it means a win and we close on each of them. Norwich are on fire and so are Derby. Ipswich a bit hot and cold and you dont know which watford is going to turn up- they can lose by three or win by 5! What we are doing is beating teams that we should be beating but havent always performed against and we are doing it well. Still think there is a lack of depth and that we can be found out but great to see confidence building from the back and translating into goals. Ikeme may have a little wait. TK is looking good!

I know Deutsch will pull me apart for this, but I do think to finish 6th we'll need 80 points given our goal difference. Norwich and Watford's current ppg ratio would get them to 82 and Brentford's 81 so with 80 I'm still suggesting two teams will have to drop their average for us to get there

They will though, because that's what happens.

We weren't very good in the first half but still went in 3-0 up as Fulham were pure amateur at the back. Got away with a pretty clear handball shout against Stears as well. Second half we played pretty well.

I don't think we can come up with a system with the current players that allows us to play both forwards and ensure the opposition don't have many chances. So it's a question of risk and reward, and given that we need wins from now to the end of the season I think we have to go with it. Fulham should have scored just as Rotherham should have, they didn't though. We won 8-0 over the two games so the manager is vindicated.

Don't ever put Price on the right again though, just doesn't work. He doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing, a complete waste of a shirt.

Did Price playing out wide, in spite of him playing poorly individually, help the team defend better against a Fulham team who like to play through the middle?

I agree that we don't particularly have the players to go 4-4-2 but the trade off is that with Afobe and Dicko up front we pose a scary threat attacking teams. We need to find a style that helps us manage against being outnumbered in the middle, but hopefully that will come. It sounds like McDonald has played well recently too.

If we could find a quality midfielder on loan it would help a lot I think.

We could always go and get a midfield general in on loan..........

Did Price playing out wide, in spite of him playing poorly individually, help the team defend better against a Fulham team who like to play through the middle?

I agree that we don't particularly have the players to go 4-4-2 but the trade off is that with Afobe and Dicko up front we pose a scary threat attacking teams. We need to find a style that helps us manage against being outnumbered in the middle, but hopefully that will come. It sounds like McDonald has played well recently too.

If we could find a quality midfielder on loan it would help a lot I think.

No, he tucked in, usually leaving us with a big gap down the right, which Iorfa benefited from.

He didn't offer anything in either direction. Fulham were pish though so it didn't matter.

Comedy moment last night - Price wasn't in his natural position but as is often the case with him, he very very rarely misplaced a pass, and kept it simple. I was watching his distribution in the first half, and every pass found it's intended target until he attempted a through ball which was intercepted. Bloke behind me: "Fookin' 'ell Proice - every fookin' toime!" Made me giggle.

The guy next to me had it in for Stearman, Iorfa and VLP last night! Weird.

He was saying Iorfa didn't look very good at RB and we should move him centrally. VLP is a fairy, apparently, who is never "up for it". Stearman made one mistake last night (nothing serious, maybe a lame clearance, can't really remember) and this guy was saying he should be dropped. Put Iorfa in at CB, blah blah.

He obviously doesn't base his opinion on what he's watching.

A chap near me said Stearman was 'shit' and the 'weak link' of the defence. Even though I thought Stears was probably MOTM and our best defender at the moment.

Batth was better than Stearman last night for me. MOTM in fact (followed by McDonald, then Sako, then Afobe).

Comedy moment last night - Price wasn't in his natural position but as is often the case with him, he very very rarely misplaced a pass, and kept it simple. I was watching his distribution in the first half, and every pass found it's intended target until he attempted a through ball which was intercepted. Bloke behind me: "Fookin' 'ell Proice - every fookin' toime!" Made me giggle.

:icon_lol:

I was surprised that Price only has the 9th best pass success rate in our squad. Saville is at number one with Golbourne second. It's a shame Golbourne was injured earlier in the season, Hause did a good job when brought in to steady the ship but Scotty is just so good.

Batth was better than Stearman last night for me. MOTM in fact (followed by McDonald, then Sako, then Afobe).

Probably one of Batth's best games for us last night. Not just his defending but use of the ball

Back