• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - Fulham 0. Another solid performane verdict thread

On the subject of persistent whingers. Sako's first goal cam after a lengthy period of possession that must have been in excess of 20 passes. The bloke behind me complained all the way through, every pass greeted with a scathing comment. His final words were "there is no movement" just as Sako struck the ball.

As I turned round to give him some of my celebrations following such a wonderful goal he was just sat there expressionless. If he can't enjoy the good when he spends so much time talking about the bad, I do wonder why he bothers coming.

Sako's first goal would have been replayed over nd over agin if it had been a tem like arsenal..

On the subject of persistent whingers. Sako's first goal cam after a lengthy period of possession that must have been in excess of 20 passes. The bloke behind me complained all the way through, every pass greeted with a scathing comment. His final words were "there is no movement" just as Sako struck the ball.

As I turned round to give him some of my celebrations following such a wonderful goal he was just sat there expressionless. If he can't enjoy the good when he spends so much time talking about the bad, I do wonder why he bothers coming.

Sako's first goal would have been replayed over nd over agin if it had been a tem like arsenal..

That's such a common gripe - and I heard something similar. The persistent shouts of 'gerrit forwards!' is quite baffling. Have these individuals not been watching Wolves over the past 18 months?

It was a great goal following a glorious, patient build up.

That's such a common gripe - and I heard something similar. The persistent shouts of 'gerrit forwards!' is quite baffling. Have these individuals not been watching Wolves over the past 18 years?

It was a great goal following a glorious, patient build up.

Fixed for you.

I kind of sort of think he had a point though. It seemed that we were passing the ball a lot due to lack of movement from our players to offer up an incisive through-ball or wing option. It was a case of pass it around as there's nothing else to do. Fulham weren't hugely interested in battling us for the ball back, they left Sako completely open and he punished them. Not complaining though. It was impressive ball retention and showed great patience.

Brilliant from Sako for both of those goals.

Their keeper was a prize twat all game (rubbish as well), constantly moaning to the ref. You can see him going mental after the first goal for some reason, er I think it was your fault mate for flapping at thin air.

B-oqSATXAAMF4O2.jpg

He was terrible in the cup game at their place. He's fortunate that the other goalkeeper they have is Gabor Kiraly.

I kind of sort of think he had a point though. It seemed that we were passing the ball a lot due to lack of movement from our players to offer up an incisive through-ball or wing option. It was a case of pass it around as there's nothing else to do. Fulham weren't hugely interested in battling us for the ball back, they left Sako completely open and he punished them. Not complaining though. It was impressive ball retention and showed great patience.

That's what the good teams do, keep possession until the killer pass came be made. If you have the ball the other team can't score. Simples.

I think he was trying to claim his run was blocked by Dicko (it wasn't).

After watching the ref allow an elbow to be planted in the side of Tommy K's head and deem it as fair play, not sure what he would have deemed a foul on a keeper last night.

Their keeper was a prize twat all game (rubbish as well), constantly moaning to the ref. You can see him going mental after the first goal for some reason, er I think it was your fault mate for flapping at thin air.

B-oqSATXAAMF4O2.jpg

He's holding on to his own player too! I did wonder what he was moaning about after Danny had scored.

That's what the good teams do, keep possession until the killer pass came be made. If you have the ball the other team can't score. Simples.

I understand and appreciate that - it worked brilliantly. BUT we didn't create a killer pass opportunity. There wasn't enough movement from our forward players and we had no width, so in that regard, the "lack of movement" grievance is somewhat founded. We scored because they gave Sako space in a good area and he was getting frustrated at playing centrally so took a chance. He'd already shot wide from distance as there was no other option for him.

I don't know if it's because I've only really been learning the sport since South Africa, but I struggle with judging when possession is ponderous and when it's purposeful. Like yesterday in the build up to Barcelona's second goal, they were just knocking it around seeming not to go anywhere, and I had just thought to myself that there was no threat when they finally played the pass out to Alba and from there it was an easy goal.

Does that mean the whole of the 25+ passes involved in that sequence were purposeful? I dunno. Wouldn't be able to make an educated guess on it, either.

Point being, I can see how people would not be able to tell between purposeful and purposeless possession.

For me, you're waiting for the opposition to either individually or collectively make a mistake. I always think back to the Swansea game in 11/12 at Molineux where we happily let them play in front of us, only for Berra to get dragged out by Graham (?) dropping deep and then Britton fed it straight through the gap and it was 2-0 in an instant.

The best teams are able to keep the ball pressed in the opposition's half and thus the pressure is on to maintain your shape.

That game pissed me off as it seemed Berra was persuaded to run out of position by a restless crowd.

That's what you're looking to do though, isn't it? Frustrate and eventually tire the opposition out until you can find a way through. Sometimes you'll come across an exceptionally well drilled team that don't leave gaps and you're struggling to break through unless you can conjure up some magic. Ronaldinho and Iniesta's goals against Jose's old Chelsea team come to mind.

Malaga did a job on Barca at the weekend and we managed to do it a few times in our spell at the top when we beat Chelsea, United, Liverpool etc.

I love a good counter-attacking team though. United at their peak with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez was phenomenal. THAT goal against Arsenal is mesmerising. Similarly, Jose's Real, especially in his second season were quite happy to sit off teams knowing they'd be all over them the moment they gave the ball up. They destroyed Bayern in the same way last season.

He didn't have a clue what position to take up. Loved the reaction to the goals from tommy k.

He didn't have a clue what position to take up. Loved the reaction to the goals from tommy k.

His celebrations in the Rotherham goal cam are even better.

What the hell was their keeper complaining about btw? :icon_lol:

I understand and appreciate that - it worked brilliantly. BUT we didn't create a killer pass opportunity. There wasn't enough movement from our forward players and we had no width, so in that regard, the "lack of movement" grievance is somewhat founded. We scored because they gave Sako space in a good area and he was getting frustrated at playing centrally so took a chance. He'd already shot wide from distance as there was no other option for him.

I will have to see the passage of play again but as I recall, Wolves were moving the ball around in and out of their two banks of 4. Sometimes probing forwards, sometimes passing sideways or backwards. Every pass was deliberate and the player was either in space or moved it on quickly. It was technically very good. It is very difficult for the two forward players to find space when they are surrounded. Our lack of width was the reason for the goal, our wide player (Sako) had come inside to collect the ball no doubt aided by the fact that the Fulham defenders were otherwise occupied with our forward two.

There is no doubt in my mind that Sako's goal was an expertly crafted, patient passage of football - there was nothing negative about it, we kept the ball in their half looking for the opportunity to present itself and when it did the execution was spot on.

Back