• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves Academy Thread

Nice article on Matheson

https:/www.goal.com/en-gb/amp/news/luke-matheson-rochdale-wonderkid-premier-league/gatukkrttd4s16d8ez3gn89q4

We were the only one that allowed Rochdale to keep him for the rest of the season, a key part of them doing a deal in January, and the lad himself will see us as a decent chance of making a quick 1st team break through compared to a lot of other clubs, also who wouldn't want to play for Nuno.

He fits in our team perfectly too, not many in the prem who play WBs as we do.

Hopefully he will be kept around thought pre season (whenever that may be) and can compete for the RWB spot.

He's 5 foot 6. He couldn't do the role Doherty does in either box so I don't see him as a plug and play replacement. We'd need other adjustments tactically to accommodate him

He's 5 foot 6. He couldn't do the role Doherty does in either box so I don't see him as a plug and play replacement. We'd need other adjustments tactically to accommodate him

Not 18 until October - my youngest did plenty of growing around that age

Wikipedia might say he’s 5ft6 but there’s no way he is. He was the same height as Shi when he signed and Podence makes Shi look like a giant.

Plus there is obvious growth room as Norman says.

Even still, we will struggle to find an exact replacement for Doc. He’s not a giant but he’s 6ft with a good leap and timing.

We're competing in Europe (and probably will be in the next competition that takes place too, whenever that is), and have a very clear pathway for youth talent to make a first team breakthrough at an early stage (Vinagre, Neto, Kilman, Gibbs-White etc.). We're an incredibly enticing destination for a player like Matheson, and us being willing to loan him back to Rochdale didn't hurt matters either.

I think we'd need to change back to 3-5-2 and have an attacking midfielder on the end of crosses. Maybe that's the alternative Nuno is wanting. Not sure where Podence or Neto fit in with that.

I think we'd need to change back to 3-5-2 and have an attacking midfielder on the end of crosses. Maybe that's the alternative Nuno is wanting. Not sure where Podence or Neto fit in with that.

I don’t think it involves that much change? When we used Buur in the Europa (can’t remember who against) he did quite well operating in a similar manner to Doc despite his small stature.

It's defensively where we'd need the biggest adjustment. I don't think you can use that Besiktas game to demonstrate that. Doc does a lot of work defending the back post, if you went 352 then you'd need some height in the deepest midfielder which would be Donck from the current squad

Matheson will probably operate in a similar way to Jonny rather than Doc to be fair - better defensively, but not as good in the air as Doc.

We probably are getting on the short side, even if Matheson ends up at 5’10”, our midfield aren’t particularly big.

I don’t think it involves that much change? When we used Buur in the Europa (can’t remember who against) he did quite well operating in a similar manner to Doc despite his small stature.

Besiktas at home and I thought he played well but he was a chalk on your boots winger at times rather than the player Doc is. Doc really can't cross and his strength is coming off the touchline and making the runs from out to in. He was just starting to link with Adama well and thrives off Raul when he holds the ball up for Doc to run between midfielders and defenders.

A wing back playing wide and putting crosses is a completely different beast.

ME: Moving to Telford will mean if am free I will be able to pop down the road and watch our U23's in action
Wolves: FUCK OFF WITH THAT IDEA FELLA

"Wolves Under-23s will be playing at Kidderminster Harriers' Aggborough base next season, after 16 years at AFC Telford United's New Bucks Head. Wolves and Harriers will also 'work closely' in developing young talent. Telford 'disappointed' but open to potential return"

Wounder. At least Telford still has the massive Primark going for it.

Great news - much, much closer to me! :icon_lol:

Soz, Kenny, Tredman etc.

Back