• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves / Covid-19

If it were voided now and there was no FA cup winner declared but Sheffield United were awarded a point for their game in hand we would be in seventh. Us and Sheffield United would be in Europa as would the eighth place team. Eighth place would go into second qualifying. Us plus Sheffield United would be straight to the group stages. They would have the England country coefficient of around 17.5 points. We would have our coefficient from this years run unless it was less than the country coefficient. I haven’t done the calculation yet as the rules for coefficient have changed slightly to mean fewer points earned for Europa League runs.

The above assumes the Man City ban sticks. If it doesn’t we would be starting early a la this season with Crusaders.

Protect their own would imply protecting life, rather than protecting the earning potential for your shitty owners.

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending her but I can understand it.

As I see it there are only two choices. The season is void, or the season is finished. I don't see how you award a point for every game left, as clearly some teams have easier games to come than others. Doing that is just a lawyer's wet dream.

CL and Europa League done in a week's tournament? Yep that makes sense. And clearly Man Utd are through to the last 8. But Wolves - Olympiakos? Wolves through on away goals? Play the game? Toss a coin?

Patrick Cutrone will now need to stockpile the pizza and pasta after testing positive

As I see it there are only two choices. The season is void, or the season is finished. I don't see how you award a point for every game left, as clearly some teams have easier games to come than others. Doing that is just a lawyer's wet dream.

CL and Europa League done in a week's tournament? Yep that makes sense. And clearly Man Utd are through to the last 8. But Wolves - Olympiakos? Wolves through on away goals? Play the game? Toss a coin?

How is not giving everybody a point not being fair?

As for the Wolves game, you would play it as a second leg as everybody else would. Everything else would be single games.

Partly because we would then finish 7th, but also you wouldn’t expect most teams to average a point a game. We would certainly hope for more given our games left.

Partly because we would then finish 7th, but also you wouldn’t expect most teams to average a point a game. We would certainly hope for more given our games left.

It wouldn't be fair to give teams more points than the others would it?

It wouldn't be fair to give teams more points than the others would it?

Not really, but is it more fair to give Villa a point for playing us, a game they are clearly going to lose?

Personally I think the only solution is play it to the end. If that means next season starts in November then so be it.

Finish this season in August.
Cancel caraboa cup for Premier League Teams.
Split the Premier league into two divisions of 10
Play each side in your league twice (18 games)
Top 3 in each division plays each other twice in a mini league of 6 to crown a champion and sort the Euro spots (10 games)
Next 3 in each division compete in a league with the winner going into the Europa League (10 games)
Bottom four in each division play each other in a league to decide the relegation places (14 games)

A play off at a neutral venue should the need arise to settle a place

Job done. Each club plays a similar amount of games compared to a normal season.

Moving the Euros to next summer and letting countries finish their domestic seasons in place of it surely makes most sense? Also surely if all players/staff are cleared from tests they could just play games behind closed doors if need be.

If you had to finish the season now, cancel relegation and playoffs, but not promotion, and have a 22 team league next year. It sorts out all the divisions below who then don't need to implement relegation either and rids any lawsuits from teams feeling unfairly dealt with. Cancel next years League Cup at the same time to make time for the extra fixtures.

All this cancelling of the League Cup talk is madness. How will Cyber survive without his annual that was our best chance of a trophy blown meltdown?

Finish this season in August.
Cancel caraboa cup for Premier League Teams.
Split the Premier league into two divisions of 10
Play each side in your league twice (18 games)
Top 3 in each division plays each other twice in a mini league of 6 to crown a champion and sort the Euro spots (10 games)
Next 3 in each division compete in a league with the winner going into the Europa League (10 games)
Bottom four in each division play each other in a league to decide the relegation places (14 games)

A play off at a neutral venue should the need arise to settle a place

Job done. Each club plays a similar amount of games compared to a normal season.

Interesting proposal but it seems overly complicated and cumbersome to me.

What about move the Euro's to autumn/winter. With Qatar on the horizon we're going to have to deal with that chasm in the normal football season might give the European football associations opportunity to see how it can work and iron out any kinks for 2022.

If you had to finish the season now, cancel relegation and playoffs, but not promotion, and have a 22 team league next year. It sorts out all the divisions below who then don't need to implement relegation either and rids any lawsuits from teams feeling unfairly dealt with. Cancel next years League Cup at the same time to make time for the extra fixtures.
I thought only I had thought of this but it was just mentioned on Football Focus [emoji23]

How about delaying the season and finishing it in the right way however long it might take, and then making next season shorter ala Scotland-ish. Play 19 games and split the season at the half way point, then remaining 9 games played in your half at the opposite venue to the first game. So a 28 game season? Scrap the Euros given the World Cup needs too.

Personally I think they should just call it all, scrap the euros and start again after summer as if it had never happened.

Award Liverpool the title, they can call themselves champions if they want but you can't legitimately promote Albion/Leeds or relegate Villa/Bournemouth at this stage. Nowhere near set in stone and there's no way there's enough time to get these fixtures played without impacting on the start of next season.

Sucks for some clubs. Leicester, Albion, Leeds, Chelsea, even us with our Champions League aspirations but you know what? There's no way you can make everyone happy in this situation.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk