• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Newcastle 11/01/2020 Build Up Thread

6 minute video "behind the scenes" of us preparing for Newcastle put up on Twitter and Moutinho doesn't appear once. Think this may have been mentioned on another thread, but I hope he's not injured too.

6 minute video "behind the scenes" of us preparing for Newcastle put up on Twitter and Moutinho doesn't appear once. Think this may have been mentioned on another thread, but I hope he's not injured too.

And in another clip it looks like first 11 training with both Saiss and Kilman wearing bibs.

Could be a million reasons why Mout isn't training (he or is kids are ill, his car broke down etc..), but it wouldn't be a surprise to not see him start tomorrow.

Jota confirmed out (as is Boly but we knew that)

MGW is fit again. Nothing on Mout, so he is fit but maybe a little camera shy

This stat was on the BBC match preview, which whilst in itself isn't surprising, the fact the Wolves and Palace are top half on the prem is

◾The Magpies have led for just 342 minutes in the Premier League this season - only Wolves and Crystal Palace have spent less time in front.

Glad to hear Gibbs-White is back. I think he will be a good option in the middle for us in this system.

Glad to hear Gibbs-White is back. I think he will be a good option in the middle for us in this system.

Have to hope he was struggling with his back before he was pulled from the team as his performances had been way below what he is capable of

If he gets back to where he was last season could be just what we need - a bit more pace and energy from midfield.

Seem to remember a lot of people here thinking he was no good in a 2 and better suited to being the further forward of a 3 (or one of the wingers/inside forwards). Glad he's back either way

Furthest forward in a 3 for me, currently. Would have been ideal for the Liverpool game.

Most Newcsstle fans are not very confident about this game. Which is fair enough, they aren't very good and have a few injuries. But we always seem to make hard work of beating them, so while I expect us to win a draw wouldn't be a total shock.

I really don't rate Almiron but he is improving though I don't think he's as good as Traore on Adama's worst days. What I would do if I was Newcastle which might give them a fighting chance is try and isolate Carroll on Coady as often as possible. That is a physical battle Coady will never win and he has struggled before against physical players (Mitrovic comes to mind). If Carroll out muscles Coady enough they might get in behind with Almiron's pace and if doesn't lose his mind as he has tended to do it will give them chances.

That to me is their only chance against us as we are a much better team than them if we play as we can.

Coady will never win and he has struggled before against physical players (Mitrovic comes to mind).

When we played Flum at the end of last season, we used Bennett to step across and protect Coady v Mitro and it worked a treat. So a good chance we may do that with Benno in defence instead of Donk tomorrow

Coady struggles against big players who bully him. Carroll isn't that type of player, and newcastle don't really play that way. Carroll is there to win flick ons and knock downs for the likes of almiron. we defend the space a lot as well, but coady is well able to marshall carroll to prevent him being able to control the ball and hold it up, and carroll isn't going to beat coady in a foot race to a ball over them into a channel.

Donk should play as this is the sort of game where we need that extra quality on the ball and don’t expect us to do much defending. He also had a decent amount of pace to protect us on the counter.

Bennett isn’t actually that good in the air either, so I wouldn’t be using that as a reason to bring him in, particularly when he weakens us in all the the other areas I’ve mentioned.

When we played Flum at the end of last season, we used Bennett to step across and protect Coady v Mitro and it worked a treat. So a good chance we may do that with Benno in defence instead of Donk tomorrow

Agree with this.

Donk should play as this is the sort of game where we need that extra quality on the ball and don’t expect us to do much defending. He also had a decent amount of pace to protect us on the counter.

Bennett isn’t actually that good in the air either, so I wouldn’t be using that as a reason to bring him in, particularly when he weakens us in all the the other areas I’ve mentioned.

Definitely agree there. We will need to attack Newcastle. Shame Boly isn’t ready as he would have been perfect.

Back