• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves Women Thread

First leg of the BCD this weekend in the Challenge Cup...be great if the main socials promoted them both, fill Telford.

Game postponed because Reading poisoned everyone! 😲

Hope everyone recovers soon!

Lost 4-1, but it was 1-1 on 88 minutes so assuming the fitness of the pro players did for them

Lost 4-1, but it was 1-1 on 88 minutes so assuming the fitness of the pro players did for them
Forgive my ignorance; are we considered semi-pro at this point or amateur?

Fair play to those ladies.

How are they doing overall this season? Checked the league the other day and noticed they have dipped off pretty significantly since the last few seasons.

How are they doing overall this season? Checked the league the other day and noticed they have dipped off pretty significantly since the last few seasons.
We don't invest properly other sides do. Newcastle have gone professional, you can't compete with that. All that said they would appear to be under performing

Forgive my ignorance; are we considered semi-pro at this point or amateur?
Just amateur. As TT says, we pay expenses only, but the women's team is a full part of the club and have full use of the facilities.

It's worked for us as we have some of the best players who would rather stick with their careers who we'd lose unless we went to some kind of hybrid model - for example, Beth Merrick is a teacher for her "day job".

Are we under performing this season? Mmm, maybe a little, but not much. Tier 3 is becoming professional (or semi-pro) over these last couple of seasons - the clues were there when we lost the promotion playoff to Southampton (semi-pro) a couple of years ago. Newcastle are just throwing money at it, Forest and Burnley are semi-professional now, then there's the gap to everyone else. Wolves are sixth currently, but have a couple of games in hand over the teams above. I'd argue that fourth place is basically winning the "amateur" division, and honestly about the best that can be achieved with the current model.

Theyre not underperforming, Fosun don't invest in the club and clearly don't want to or they'd be semi-pro already. I think the figure I heard was £2M was needed, which is a pittance in scheme of things, so club is getting left behind as others get real in their support and funding, all this despite good results and frankly once the manager leaves I think players will leave too, because they're choosing to play for him over a better contract elsewhere.

But people see they're 6th and not 1st or 2nd and go "Oh they're shit now" with no context.

Theyre not underperforming, Fosun don't invest in the club and clearly don't want to or they'd be semi-pro already. I think the figure I heard was £2M was needed, which is a pittance in scheme of things, so club is getting left behind as others get real in their support and funding, all this despite good results and frankly once the manager leaves I think players will leave too, because they're choosing to play for him over a better contract elsewhere.

But people see they're 6th and not 1st or 2nd and go "Oh they're shit now" with no context.
I think that's a tad unfair on Fosun - though don't get me wrong, my opinion is that they could and should be doing more.

Up until a couple of years ago, the women's team still had to pay subs to play, had no facilities, had to beg for hand-me-down kits etc etc. Now they have access to all the facilities, medical, performance, hotels etc, and you even see things like Tammi George or Beth Merrick shirts in the club shop next to those of Neto, Lemina etc etc. They played at Castlecroft, which whilst I really liked going there, the facilities at Telford are night and day different. I've ended up sat next to Jeff on more than one occasion when he's just turned up on spec and sat in the stands. They (and he) clearly do give a damn.

Going from where we were to where we are has required Fosun to be interested in investing in this part of the club too. It's just that the next step isn't one that they've chosen to make yet.

Did the Albion massive invade the pitch again…

Back