• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

3-5-2/3-4-1-2

Jabbawolf

Reaction score
Given the tweak yesterday, should we start off in this formation going forwards?

Traore against big centre halves would cause even more mayhem than out wide.

My worry is that when I saw Traore play up front last season we seemed to just lump it in his direction and hope he’d get behind the defence. Useful when winning and looking to counter late in the game but not as a standard tactic. He does seem a lot more comfortable in field this season though and by all accounts it worked in the second half yesterday.

I still think 3-4-3 is better, but the 3-4-1-2 we changed to yesterday should be an interesting option if we need to change things.

The good thing is that given the success of the change yesterday, we seem to have developed a bit more flexibility in our systems of play, giving us the option to change things around if necessary. We can probably play the system that works best against different opponents and go horses for courses. Though I expect we will always start 3-4-3 and see how it's going.

i noticed that Coady was having to play far more balls forward than usual, although many were badly executed.

Is it not possible to change formations during the half, whether to or from 3-4-3, 5-3-2, 3-4-1-2? or would that be too confusing and best to wait till half time as yesterday? I'm a tactical duffer

Is it not possible to change formations during the half, whether to or from 3-4-3, 5-3-2, 3-4-1-2? or would that be too confusing and best to wait till half time as yesterday? I'm a tactical duffer

Pochettino/Pep are very good at this.

There was a game we did it I think at Palace this season go quite good effect (although we then had Saiss sent off and had to go four at the back).

Regarding OP, it’s another option for us. We had to do something like that as we were chasing the game and take more risks. We recognised we could get Traore behind Bednarek and it worked very well. We did it against Chelsea at home with Jota behind Cutrone and Raul too I think (in terms of the formation)

Whether it's a 343 or 3412, the key is getting the forward three closer together for me. Really pleased for Nuno that a tactical tweak had big results yesterday, hopefully it'll be a nudge out of the inflexibility that we can suffer from

Could we ever line up like this?

Patricio - New RB - New CB - Boly - Jonny/ Neves - Moutinho/ Adama - Jota - Neto/ Raul

Pochettino/Pep are very good at this.

There was a game we did it I think at Palace this season go quite good effect (although we then had Saiss sent off and had to go four at the back).

Regarding OP, it’s another option for us. We had to do something like that as we were chasing the game and take more risks. We recognised we could get Traore behind Bednarek and it worked very well. We did it against Chelsea at home with Jota behind Cutrone and Raul too I think (in terms of the formation)
Can remember a few Chelsea games where Conte did similar. Think there was one against Albion where they'd dominated without scoring so he changed to 352, they took the lead soon after and then he moved back to 343 to retain the control they'd had previously, think his formation changes coincided with substitutions as well though.

The 5 man midfield should still be viable at times, there are more options there now to play someone alongside Jimenez. The biggest problem with it this season was that the extra midfielder was always Neves playing more like a 4th centre half whereas most games it would have been more useful to have the extra midfielder in advance of the other two. The improvement in Neto might have finally provided an option to do that in lieu of MGW finding some consistency.

Back