• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

When I was younger I got into the Sven Hassell books about a penitentary regiment in the German army in the second world war. Brilliant books and I occasionally get them out for a re-read when have got nothing I fancy to read. Also enjoy fantasy type books, LOTR, Discworld, Necroscope series, Eternal Champion etc.
Best books I have read recently include Hammer of the Gods (Led Zepellin biography), Julian Copes autobiography - Head on and Sandy Galls autobiography - Don't worry about the money now. I am still trying to read a book a week, but find life tends to get in the way a bit!

I'll give The Book Thief another vote as well, it was left in our house for some reason by a friend, so i just started reading it and was totally gripped.

I am currently reading Voodoo Histories by David Aaronovitch on the recommendation of a colleague, which basically goes into the role of conspiracy theories in modern life.

If anybody likes the film, try the original Stephen King short story of The Shawshank Redemption.

Half way through Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela, and it's one of the most gripping books I have ever read. Incredible stuff.

I'll give The Book Thief another vote as well, it was left in our house for some reason by a friend, so i just started reading it and was totally gripped.

I am currently reading Voodoo Histories by David Aaronovitch on the recommendation of a colleague, which basically goes into the role of conspiracy theories in modern life.

If anybody likes the film, try the original Stephen King short story of The Shawshank Redemption.

This is a good shout. I think it comes in a collection called 'Different Seasons' under the title 'Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption' and is one of the best things King has ever written. I'm almost certain it's in the same collection as 'The Body' which was made into 'Stand By Me', also one of King's best. In fact I personally think his best writing is his non-horror work.

It does, also another book I wasn't bothered about reading but thought I would give it a try as it was lying about. I am not that big a fan of horror, either on film or in books, but the narrative in these stories is excellent. I read the Shawshank story a couple of years before it came out, Stand By Me I had seen already. I still subscribe to the view that books are generally better than films when one has been made into the other.

Best book I've read recently- 'Think of a Number' by John Verdon.

Best book I've ever read- 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. Absolutely essential reading IMO. If you don't weep with both sadness and joy then you have a heart made of stone. It will, in time, deservedly be seen as a classic along with such books as 'Of Mice and Men', '1984', 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest', 'Catch 22' etc etc...

Thanks Toon - I've just downloaded both to my Kindle.

I'm just going through the Shardlake books by C J Sansom at the moment. They are an excellent read.

With reference to Stephen King...I think people tend to dismiss him to easily.
Hearts in Atlantis, The Green Mile, Dolores Claiborne and The Stand are absolutely superb.

Ah Kindle,i'm thinking of getting one,what do you reckon?,i've got wifi in the house so the cheaper version would probably be ok?

I wast to buy an ebook reader, but I've been put off the Kindle because:

a. You're stuck to buying books from Amazon, and they've been known to accidentally wipe Kindles
b. You can't borrow ebooks for it from libraries, which when you read as much as me is a must-have feature.

I'm umming and ahhing over a Sony or an iRiver, but I haven't decided which one. I'm also worrying about whether you can swap books from one reader to another, given that the missus reads nearly as much as me and we don't want to be in the silly position of trying to work out which reader you need.

Ah Kindle,i'm thinking of getting one,what do you reckon?,i've got wifi in the house so the cheaper version would probably be ok?

I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it is fantastic - I highly recommend one. You only need the cheaper version - you can download 10 books in 5 minutes so you're never going to run out on your travels!

All I would say is buy yourself a nice, leather cover. It makes it 'feel' right.

I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it is fantastic - I highly recommend one. You only need the cheaper version - you can download 10 books in 5 minutes so you're never going to run out on your travels!

All I would say is buy yourself a nice, leather cover. It makes it 'feel' right.

Cheers mate,i have to say all the reviews i have read have been positive.

Back