• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal 1-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I dont blame anyone for Jiminez, it was one.of those things, you have to attack the ball as a defender and as an attacker.

How many corners are their each week, this happens so infrequently you cannot legislate, nor stop it from happening.
Can centreforwards wear Skull Caps, like Czech did post his skull fracture?

On a footballing note, we did not look as solid wlas we usually do, Sako, Abua missed easy chances Boly and Coady made some great interceptions / Blocks.

Going forward we were a joy to watch.

On a footballing note, we did not look as solid wlas we usually do, Sako, Abua missed easy chances Boly and Coady made some great interceptions / Blocks.
Think we'll always lose something defensively with a 4 at the back opposed to the 3/5 we're used to not just down to the extra body but the fact of having that sweeper role to act as a secondary gatekeeper to the defence.

Thats why while I like the additional options attacking that the 4 at the back gives us I think its another option and has to be used as such for certain games or even certain periods of games.

Liverpool next for instance I'd hope we're back to a back 3 for that.

Just having a quick look at the stats - Neto and Traore had 3 key passes each, no one else had more than one, and Donk and Traore won 5 arial duels each, no one else more than two - and moutinho won 6 tackles, Marcal was second with three.

Think we'll always lose something defensively with a 4 at the back opposed to the 3/5 we're used to not just down to the extra body but the fact of having that sweeper role to act as a secondary gatekeeper to the defence.

Thats why while I like the additional options attacking that the 4 at the back gives us I think its another option and has to be used as such for certain games or even certain periods of games.

Liverpool next for instance I'd hope we're back to a back 3 for that.

See, I hope we go for it - they're all at sea defensively at the moment.

See, I hope we go for it - they're all at sea defensively at the moment.
Oh are they?

I'll be honest I'm struggling to get involved in this football season without fans, I watch our games at a push and that's it, obviously I pick up results here and there etc but I've not really got a clue who's in form who's not etc and other than glancing at the table to see where we are I don't even really know where everyone is.

That post was maybe based on Liverpool being the Liverpool of last season (similar to how I went rather defensive on my team to play Arsenal then switched on last night to find they were 11th or 12th? I just presumed they were top 5 or 6 like normal). If thats not the case then yeah fair point.

Ref Watch. Dermot on Traore incident says it was a simple coming together... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
He works at Stockley Park at the weekend, he's just rolled out to defend all their decisions. Even when it's clealry wrong 9/10 he'll say it's down to referees interpretation.

A few thoughts on the defending last night, although it was much improved with the experience of Coady/Marçal there were still things I didn't like about it.

1) Overloaded down both flanks. We left Semedo and Marçal very exposed all night. Luckily Arsenal don't have the quality in attacking areas to regularly take advantage of those situations and even when they did (Auba header, Saka miss hit, Nelson shot) they fluffed their lines. Thought it was particularly noticeable from short corners, we just allowed them to play it around us.

2) The goal. Abysmal defending. Gabriel was wrestling both Adama & Marçal and neither of them got anywhere near him. I know we've lost a CB but we've still got enough height/physicality in other areas to compensate for that.

3) In possession in a 5 we've always had Coady as an out ball if there is no option further forward. I worried about what we would do in those situations now we've switched to a back 4, although adding Semedo, Marçal and Aït-Nouri who are all comfortable playing out from the back in tight situations should help. Initially I was impressed with how we used Rui in possession but then he almost went and threw away 2 points with a careless moment. It's not his strength at all and if we're going to keep doing it it will cost us at some point.

Gabriel is about a foot taller than both of them, and was a good header - if there’s any blame (and it was a good header), it’s that Donk should have got a head on it as it’s his zone.

to be fair to him though, it’s harder when it’s a bit of a standing jump from zonal marking - but that is what he’s there for.

A few thoughts on the defending last night, although it was much improved with the experience of Coady/Marçal there were still things I didn't like about it.

1) Overloaded down both flanks. We left Semedo and Marçal very exposed all night. Luckily Arsenal don't have the quality in attacking areas to regularly take advantage of those situations and even when they did (Auba header, Saka miss hit, Nelson shot) they fluffed their lines. Thought it was particularly noticeable from short corners, we just allowed them to play it around us.

2) The goal. Abysmal defending. Gabriel was wrestling both Adama & Marçal and neither of them got anywhere near him. I know we've lost a CB but we've still got enough height/physicality in other areas to compensate for that.

3) In possession in a 5 we've always had Coady as an out ball if there is no option further forward. I worried about what we would do in those situations now we've switched to a back 4, although adding Semedo, Marçal and Aït-Nouri who are all comfortable playing out from the back in tight situations should help. Initially I was impressed with how we used Rui in possession but then he almost went and threw away 2 points with a careless moment. It's not his strength at all and if we're going to keep doing it it will cost us at some point.
Fully agree on Marcal thought he played well last night but when Zonal marking from corners some of those players' jobs is to block runners and Marcal let Gabriel by him far too easily which then gave Dendoncker no chance against a running jump.

Fully agree on Marcal thought he played well last night but when Zonal marking from corners some of those players' jobs is to block runners and Marcal let Gabriel by him far too easily which then gave Dendoncker no chance against a running jump.
Apart from the angle of delivery It's essentially the same goal that Sheff Utd scored at the end of last season, substitute Jonny for Marcal, Boly for Donck and Egan for Gabriel

Last edited:
I absolutely adore Coadys leadership, he’s just brilliant all round.

He was a proper leader last night. As I said, his handling of Silva and gee'ing him up was fantastic to see.

That was Shearers argument last night the last sport to take it seriously, what I don't understand Arsenals medical staff are the medical staff for the British and Irish Lions etc. yet Luiz was allowed to play on for another 40 minutes ?
Probably because the ultimate decision maker atm is the coach and not the medics?

Probably because the ultimate decision maker atm is the coach and not the medics?
It does make you think that, had a look on an Arsenal forum and they were aghast that Luiz was allowed to carry on

I absolutely adore Coadys leadership, he’s just brilliant all round.
Small thing, but thought it was great after Arsenal scored that he was immediately up and shouting "it's alright, lads, we go again!"

Just saw the 'challenge' for the first time proper on the news, I was picking my coffee up when it happened live and only half caught it, and Luiz ploughs into Raul. It was definitely out of control and he missed the ball by miles. That was a red all day long for me.

I reckon it's more to do with the football protocols not being anywhere near strict enough. And the medics had to follow those, not what they would in Rugby.

What I don't get is this. I've played hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of games at semi-pro and amateur level.

Not once have I ever had my hand actually IN someone else's mouth, or seen someone else do it. I've seen a few smacks in the mouth but that's a bit different.

That looks so bizarre to me, the fuck is he doing?

I find it odd he hasn't publicly apologised but that could also be done out of respect waiting for more news. Even odder is Arsenal let him drive home after the game...

Back